• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• April 18, 2019, 13:53:10
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Enjoy The View
Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 20:06:34
Listening in my office on Sony MD7506 cans...not the best. Still those drums sound fantastic when they come in. Excellent tune you have going, Mark!

Those drums kind of make me want your lead vocals to have a little more punch......to match that snare.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Marcus Nalgaber

Reply #31 on: January 14, 2019, 21:49:18
Very good sound
A very fine and good song
Congratulations  ::thumb::

• M57
  • Rotisseur

• Today at 11:53:57
  • more
Reply #32 on: January 16, 2019, 02:38:25
Listening in my office on Sony MD7506 cans...not the best. Still those drums sound fantastic when they come in. Excellent tune you have going, Mark!

Those drums kind of make me want your lead vocals to have a little more punch......to match that snare.

Hey @Leonard Scaper
I agree, this drummer totally rocks it.  And the electric guitarist too.  I'm so lucky to have stumbled onto them.  I'm sorry to disappoint with the vocal.  Unfortunately, this folk and classical music singer just doesn't have the edge to his voice that the genre requires. Insult to injury, I think I'm managing to get those drums sounding even beefier in the mix. This may have to be my last foray into the hard side of rock ..at least for a while.  ;)

..but it's been fun while it's lasted.  ::e-guitar::

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #33 on: January 16, 2019, 13:00:01
Smiling at insult to injury.

That vocal definitely does not disappoint, Mark. If I had that mix on my protools rig I'd break out their Lo-Fi plug and just dirty that vocal up a bit. Seriously. Even just a bit of 1176 style compression (maybe even all buttons in) would do the trick I bet.

This IS fun, right?

• M57
  • Rotisseur

• Today at 11:53:57
  • more
Reply #34 on: January 17, 2019, 13:02:50
If I had that mix on my protools rig I'd break out their Lo-Fi plug and just dirty that vocal up a bit. Seriously. Even just a bit of 1176 style compression (maybe even all buttons in) would do the trick I bet.

I actually have a fair amount of compression and saturation on the lead vocal.  Someone on a more engineering oriented site recommended that I back off on the compression - but that just may be about the kind of compression I'm using.  I'm at work right now and I'll have to go an look, but I'll bet that vocal goes through at least 4 or 5 compressors/limiters all said and done - including 3 on the 2 buss.  For one, it went through Warm WA-2A before it got to the box.  I recently purchased the Kush Novatron plugin when it went on sale over the holidays, and it's turning into one of my go-to compressors. I'm really liking the saturation part of it, where you can either gang or in independently saturate even and/or odd harmonics.  It's a thickening machine that can turn milk into cream and cream into butter before getting noticeably distorted.  If I had to critique my own mixing style, I'd say I tend make my mixes too dense - at the expense of clarity.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #35 on: January 17, 2019, 13:57:28
Hmmmmm....compression might not be the answer, although I sometimes use my BF76 for effect rather than actual compression....on a bus.

I'll go back to first thought....a lo-fi plug, maybe in parallel, just to dirty it up rather than make it denser.

question
problems with the view :)

Started by Sal on The kitchen café

6 Replies
Last post December 24, 2015, 16:27:19
by Zedd
xx
sheep view

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen café

1 Replies
Last post July 19, 2016, 03:35:44
by Mar T.