• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 18:18:41
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Eyes In The Distance
on: August 17, 2017, 11:45:01
In the midst of all of the very cool musical things going on in my life thanks to this amazing Kitchen....this song came on quickly and I wrote and recorded it last weekend. I had thought to do a longer thread as it progressed...but it came on so strong that, well...here it is.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13615874

Eyes in the distance
A voice in the wind
I stop and listen
And there it is again
Is it just me wishing
For a long lost friend
A hand becomes a fist
From a choice made back when
And the eyes in the distance
Are watching

Lies and resistance
Come back again
Learning how to listen
Might have made a difference
And I wouldn't be here wishing
For that long lost friend
A chance that was missed
From a choice I'd make again

CHORUS
The eyes in the distance
Eyes in the distance
Oh....
The eyes in the distance
Eyes in the distance
Are watching
The eyes in the distance
Eyes in the distance
Oh.....

BRIDGE
With the rain came summer
With the change came fall
Now the pain lies under

The prize for persistence
Is a choice in the end
You know what you'll be missing
But you know you can't pretend
It'll leave you wishing
For that long lost friend
Now you can't be angry
For the choices made back then

'Cause the eyes in the distance
The eyes in the distance
Are watching
The eyes in the distance
Eyes in the distance
Oh....
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Re: Eyes In The Distance
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 18:12:21
A touching song @Leonard Scaper ...

Beautifully expressed...

Really like the extra instrumentation you've used - really like the echoed words. Have you a really gentle harmony in there? (my ears are not fab so it sounds like it to me and the only thing I would say, is I would like an overt harmony there but that's probably just a taste thing)....

Fave line is:

"The prize for persistence/is a choice in the end..".. Nice!!

Great stuff Mr Prolific!

K

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 20:48:21
@Zedd .....I truly appreciate your appreciation of this tune.  ;)

I love that line as well, but here's how it came about. I had the line penciled in as "The price of persistence......". Then, in the middle of doing the first real vocal take, I looked down at that paper and my mind screamed...."PRIZE......SING Prize instead!!" I did, but them I had to change the "of" to "for" in the ensuing takes to make it work grammatically.

Amazing what that simple lyrical change did......made the entire premise of the story work.

Oh...and yes, there are subtle harmonies in there. I always feel a little odd about harmonizing with myself so I tend to mix them in almost as if they are just thickening the main vocal.

Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 02:50:07
Hi Leonard,
I think this one is very well done!    I love your lyrics and your vocal delivery and some of your instrument choices that go behind the guitar are very tasteful.
Many props here sir!
ERic

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• October 14, 2019, 23:50:34
    • Sydney, Australia
    • https://www.facebook.com/drivingsouthband/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCygXcTLN2FroxhUQM_90J6Q?view_as=subscriber https://soundcloud.com/user-386444683
  • more
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 04:12:49
Very nice @Leonard Scaper  - words,  vocals and music.

I like the guitar parts that start around 3.30 - some really nice subtle playing.

Great song

cheers

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 11:02:15
@eblossman .....thanks for giving it a listen, Eric, and for your kind words about the vocals and the lyrics. I'm also glad that there are some instrumental elements in this tune that got your attention as I greatly respect your production sensibilities. Your material sets a high standard for "record" quality production. I admit to being a bit more hit and miss. When I start throwing stuff against the wall with a more complex (for me) production like this one I'm always curious as to which elements I should have let slip off that wall.  ;)

I don't work with strings very often but I had just got my old Ensoniq MR Rack synth back up and running and I have always been a sucker for that "Warm Bath Strings" patch. That....and the fact that I have been working with @Nic and the way she layers her strings has been a Mountain of influence on me of late.

@Jurgen .......thanks for that comment about the electric guitar that comes in there. I do tend to indulge myself with the addition of some distorted guitar where often times it doesn't belong but this time it seemed to add to the developing tension.

I reached down to the bottom of the well for the lyrics on this one and I seem to have stirred up a little mud in the process.

Mr Prolific!

I meant to comment on that @Zedd .........I can actually feel myself slowing down finally. I will always need to have something working but I am feeling the need to go slower with the tracking and production part. These old ears of mine are not working as they used to and I know it is affecting my mixes. I was surprised that this tune came when it did and with such immediate clarity as I had thought I was entering into a period of rest.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 17:55:03
  • more
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 15:29:08
wow, what a pleasant vocal melody in the verses @Leonard Scaper , i love those pauses that are typical in your songwriting too

very, very nice this track  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: excellent
me, myself, and Pie

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• October 12, 2019, 19:46:21
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 16:36:27
A great song.  ::heart::

I love how the first 30 secs allow the strings to get established.
The tone of the guitar seems to fit well against the strings. 
I like the 10 secs or so at around 3 mins where the guitar is just there on it's own for a little while. That's the reflection time for the listener I think.  ::thumb::
The bit of electric just tops off the overall mood of the piece.
I like the way the final chord doesn't resolve.
Vocally it's another treat - you seem to conjure up emotions with that voice of yours.

On another matter ... @Zedd said...
Great stuff Mr Prolific!

How on earth have you managed to create 264 songs on your SoundClick account ? That's a crazy amount of creativity. You are the human equivalent of the bottomless cauldron or jug from Irish mythology but you produce songs instead of food or drink.  ::headphone::

"Love and Life is all about connections"

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 19:10:51
@Dutchbeat ....thanks for checking this one out.

@MrBouzouki .........I'm glad that you picked up on that little spot where I stripped away everything but the acoustic guitar and the way I just let the last acoustic guitar chord ring out a bit. I appreciate those observations as well as your kind words.

How on earth have you managed to create 264 songs on your SoundClick account ? That's a crazy amount of creativity. You are the human equivalent of the bottomless cauldron or jug from Irish mythology but you produce songs instead of food or drink.  ::headphone::

Back in 2006 I finally got myself situated in a dedicated studio room. I was able to start seriously producing music and hosting it on SoundClick. SoundCloud had not yet hit the scene at that time. I just always need to be in the studio writing and recording to maintain my sanity.......although the jury is still out as to how well I'm actually doing at that.  ;)

• IsleofSkye
  • Poissonier
  • (INFJ-T) 18

• August 09, 2018, 05:36:31
    • Newnan, Georgia, USA
  • more
Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 22:19:05
I love how each song of yours is definitely "Lenny" but also has something unique about it from the last, like the extra instruments here. This one is especially beautiful. Great job.  :)
"When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind is waiting there."-George Harrison

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 22:50:21
It's good to see you @IsleofSkye and thanks so much for giving this song a listen and for those kind words.

• Goatrelated
  • Chef de Partie

• October 16, 2019, 22:02:04
    • Kwadalumpor
  • more
Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 13:48:04
Beautiful!  ::heart::
Jeete

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• August 31, 2019, 23:25:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 17:02:18
I think the lyric rhyme design is very clever here with that first line of the verses: 'Eyes in the distance/Lies and resistance/The prize for persistence', craftsman at work! Thoughtful song.

It's interesting to see you do a bit more with strings this time, but it's not overdone and your guitar work still takes centre stage for me.

As others have mentioned, you are a very prolific writer @Leonard Scaper. Next week I am going to try getting up early like you do!  ;D But I don't think I will ever have 264 songs on Soundcloud! That's got to be some record!

(PS: while writing this reply I have been trying to come up with a good rhyme if I had to write a further verse. I could only come up with 'The Pies Shop Assistants', so maybe back to the drawing board for me!  ;) Sounds like a good name for a band though.)
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 19:34:12
@Goatie .......thank you SO much!  :) :) :)

@MichaelA ....Pie Shop Assistants!!!! A GREAT band name. Ready to go on the road, man?? Thanks for that about the strings.....I was worried that they were not really working and I just did not realize it from lack of...stringular experience.  ;)

Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 23:57:54
Very nice song!  ::thumb:: I especially like the space left after
A chance that was missed
From a choice I'd make again
it's like it gives the listener time to make the choice. Subtle but cool.
You have some very nice strings and guitar work happening as well. Nice job.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

xx
OK (Distance) - Lauder

Started by lauder on Songs for review

10 Replies
Last post March 05, 2018, 13:36:38
by tuff bransch
xx
Jarak (Distance)

Started by Dynofficial on Songs for review

6 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 00:37:23
by Mar T.
xx
Long Distance Friends

Started by Matu Tiemersma on Songs for review

6 Replies
Last post June 09, 2019, 13:41:04
by Leonard Scaper
xx
Thoughts on long-distance songwriting collaboration

Started by smajor on The kitchen café

4 Replies
Last post December 13, 2017, 23:48:15
by Bill from November Sound
xx
NASA made music from the distance between stars.

Started by Bill from November Sound on The kitchen café

2 Replies
Last post March 24, 2019, 13:01:48
by budhabuilding