• Fat Boy.....Retro/Travel Competition
  • Started by Leonard Scaper
Fat Boy.....Retro/Travel Competition
on: November 19, 2017, 17:30:11
"The Harley-Davidson Fat Boy is a V-twin motorcycle and one of the best selling models produced by Harley-Davidson."  ;)

I wrote this song a dozen years or so ago while driving back from a somewhat emotional parting. Back then I tracked it with a number of instruments....the full treatment. For this contest I chose to record the song completely stripped down. I even put away my fancy tube microphone and chose a smaller mic for a more intimate sound.

Fat Boy (Unplugged)
https://soundcloud.com/leonardscaper/fat-boy

Dude blew by me on a fat boy
As I was rollin' north on highway number one
He was on a mission
But I was just wishin'
I had stayed a little longer
Why'd I have to leave so soon

CHORUS 1
I want to live in a world
Where I can go slow
And I don't have to watch you
Watchin' me go
Where you can be free
To lay all your burdens
Right down at my feet

Yeah he blew by me on a fat boy
Like he had someplace he was meaning to be
But not me...I was heading home
For a dinner alone
And thinkin' about you
Back there thinkin' about me

CHORUS 2
Where I can go slow
And I don't have to watch you
Watchin' me go
Where you can be free
To lay all your burdens
Right down at my feet
Where I will always know
Where you have been
And where you think you might be going

INSTRUMENTAL BRIDGE

You laid there on the bed
With your eyes not quite closed
I guess the medicine was trying to take hold
I moved a wisp of hair
From the corner of your mouth
And I thought about what you told me
Just before you fell

CHORUS 2

INSTRUMENTAL BRIDGE (2x)

He blew by me on a fat boy
Yeah he blew by me on a fat boy

The original recording:

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10384827

"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Re: Fat Boy.....Retro/Travel Competition
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 17:36:00
Excellent track. Soulful playing and singing. Congrats.
No Colours for Concern.

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• August 31, 2019, 23:25:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 19:44:03
I just started listening to this and Mrs Michael A has rudely unplugged me. It is time to take her out to the restaurant apparently. Why can't her father wait in the bar a few minutes on his own? He'd be more than happy with that! But she is in one of her she who must be obeyed moods!

So sorry Lenny, but I will be back tomorrow with a considered response, promise  :o

BTW never knew Harley's were nicknamed Fat Boys ....OK dear I'm coming, I'm coming....
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Yesterday at 16:09:24
    • Duiven
    • http://twitter.com/MartiMediaSC http://www.facebook.com/MartiMedia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEBmQkchurQ https://soundcloud.com/martimedia
  • more
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 00:37:12
Hey @Leonard Scaper , I gave both versions a listen. I love the concept of setting up the story of the main character in the context of the always busy world.. To me the main character struggles to find his speed and at the same time he would have the same feeling of freedom when he would've been cruising that fat boy himself. But of course that's the picture painted on my individual canvas (subjective). Loved that picture!
Nice tune, and I love your vocal as always.. Listened to both versions and I must say this sounds so well as a stripped down piece.. Sometimes we don't need all decoration to send a message.
Very well done and wow man, you were fast!
Cheers and thanks for joining the comp and sharing your result!!
:mart:
I'm proud of this track, check it out! https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 01:21:52
Hi @Leonard Scaper   I listened to both recordings - they are both excellent - your song in my opinion certainly holds up in the just the acoustic version. To me that's what a good song is about - can you play it solo and have it still hold up - and this one does.

In the case of the competition, though, I would go with the full production - as much as I hate to say it because I've entered too.  >:D ;D

Best,

Vince
Vince

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 01:45:39
@Mar T. ....I agree about not needing so many decorations. I have to admit that I am going in that direction with my music. Thanks for listening to this tune both ways.

I'm hoping that by posting early other folks will get the bug to enter.

and.... @Vince  ....... ;D ;D ;D

I'm glad you like the stripped down version as I am partial to it as well.

@BLACK MIRROR .....I appreciate you giving this a listen. Thanks for your appreciation.

@MichaelA .... WHERE ARE YOUR PRIORITIES, MAN!!!???

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

• syl_a_med
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Drums/Guitar/Bass/ Keys/Vocals/Production

• March 17, 2019, 00:18:31
    • Halifax, Nova Scotia
    • https://soundcloud.com/voieces-band
  • more
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 03:32:59
I like the raw and stripped-down nature of this song. I really dig the smooth and almost whispering vocal delivery and the emotive guitar playing. The production is very clear as well. Very enjoyable!

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 11:04:57
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:08:04 by MichaelA »
Hey @Leonard Scaper, well sorry about yesterday - but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!  ;)

Anyway when I saw the title and your pic of that monster bike on SC I thought we'd be gettin' our motor runnin', heading out on the highway, lookin' for adventure - and whatever comes our way!

But how wrong could I be.

Well done you for having the confidence to go stripped down on this, which is a perfect way to tell this mournful and reflective story.

I love the juxtaposition in the narrative between the focused Harley biker and the introspective observer with his sad tale to tell. The story is very moving and how you end it with the simple Fat Boy refrain creates real dramatic poignancy. Master storytelling how you're pulling at our heartstrings as it all develops.

This is just a really great song, nothing to say that bothered me at all, definitely one of my favourites of yours. Your voice is just perfect for this kind of musical poetry...after doing all that joking around yesterday I feel pretty stupid now. This is a thread that deserves a bit of reverence  ::) Oh well...I'll probably have to listen before commenting in the future!!! Great song anyway  that I have on replay, three times so far!  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

What a great one to dig out from the archives BTW - yep you did a retro travelling song after all!  ;D

Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 11:42:12
@MichaelA ....thanks so much for all of that. I had not realized that I might be setting the listener up for something totally different than what I was delivering.

Hmmmm.....since we are all family here ( ;) ), perhaps a little backstory on this song would help folks understand it better. A short time after a hard divorce I had dropped my fourteen year old son off at his first extended summer camp. He was reeling inside from the whole situation but being strong. He stood out there like a man and watched me drive away as I watched him in my truck mirror. Out on the highway home I was driving my truck way too slow and that dude blew by me on a fat boy.

That was the first verse.

A week later his younger sister fell and badly dislocated her elbow. I sat there in the recovery room and watched her drift off after they fixed it....and wrote that second verse.

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 12:15:30
Wow @Leonard Scaper that is a poignant back story too. I am sure this song means a lot too you after all that - and maybe not that comfortable for you to have revived after all, but from an artistic point of view - I'd say still well worth it.

Not knowing the back story, of course, I interpreted it as the person with her "eyes not quite closed" was maybe dying or at least very sick. The moving the strand of hair line is very tender and intimate. The word "fell" though made me think of dying - in the way that you might say a soldier on the battlefield fell in battle. But that is OK really - all we can do is tell our tales and sometimes it is definitely better and more subtle to paint a vague picture - because when the listener puts their own interpretation onto songs they can become even more powerful.

But thanks for the back story - I like this song even more now!  :)

Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 13:23:49
all we can do is tell our tales and sometimes it is definitely better and more subtle to paint a vague picture - because when the listener puts their own interpretation onto songs they can become even more powerful.

I definitely agree.

8)

Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 18:09:55
In awe of your production skills again @Leonard Scaper , those guitars in both versions sound amazing.

However, when you said that the original had the 'full treatment' I was looking forward to drums, bass, twin guitars etc etc so, against those erroneous expectations, the two versions were not that dissimilar to my ears.

Regardless of that, the atmosphere you create in both versions with the chord progression, tasteful hammer-ons/pull-offs and emotion-drenched vocals is perfect for the subject matter and left me feeling quite thoughtful!

PS The title made me chuckle, where I come from, a Fat Boy is a massive cooked breakfast (and the secret nickname for my boss) .

Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 18:15:47
However, when you said that the original had the 'full treatment' I was looking forward to drums, bass, twin guitars etc etc so, against those erroneous expectations, the two versions were not that dissimilar to my ears.

Thanks so much for those kind words @DanJames . The 'full treatment' for Lenny is still a bit shy of the real thing as I don't often use much percussion. I just wanted to strip the song completely down to guitar and vocals for this version in the hope that the emotion might come across a bit more sincerely. I'm glad that you felt that.

• blue2blue
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Bard of Bitterness, Denial & Regret

• August 10, 2020, 20:00:32
    • Long Beach, CA, USA
    • @tkmajor https://www.facebook.com/tkmajor https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyOhl2OB680TmlUMjsKhosw https://soundcloud.com/tkmajor
  • more
Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 19:46:34
I'd heard this before a while back and, while the previous version is a bit hazy in my memory, I think this works very nicely. The guitar accompaniment is an excellent complement to your 'patented vocal delivery'... ;)

I was, as I guess was intended, uncertain about the events/implication of the ending. But I suspect that the ambiguity is intentional. Ambiguity can be an effective tool for keeping the emotional meaning of a song from getting too specific and pinned to a situation; it can be a vexation, of course, but sometimes it is that vexation that keeps a listener coming back to puzzle out the meanings.

Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 12:28:44
a bit of a boy's song at my first glance, but later on in the story some drama too, so then it hits me....
your voice and the music beautiful as always !
:goatie:
Jeete

xx
Fat Boy (Live From The Lounge)

Started by Leonard Scaper on Live performances

7 Replies
Last post November 07, 2019, 13:31:18
by Leonard Scaper
lamp
Travel Song/ Retro Rework Competition

Started by Rewboat on Songs for review

19 Replies
Last post January 14, 2018, 09:01:16
by Rewboat
xx
The 'Travel Song' AND/OR 'Retro Rework' competition - Please join!!

Started by Mar T. on Challenges

68 Replies
Last post January 01, 2018, 05:16:13
by Mar T.
xx
The 'Travel Song' AND/OR 'Retro Rework' competition - VOTING THREAD

Started by Mar T. on Challenges

140 Replies
Last post January 16, 2018, 12:04:01
by CrystalSuzy
xx
'Night Train To Hell' - Retro/Travel Competition entry