« on: June 08, 2018, 23:34:19 »
There is No Colours for Concern.

Offline Zedd

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Karma coins: 842
Re: Fly
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 23:40:46 »
Just listening.. This is great @BLACK MIRROR - the vocal is lovely. As is the acoustic guitar..  I think I'm  ore used to the female vocal but I actually prefer this with the female vox as backing.. I've liked and reposted a few of your songs (I'm a fan!) but I think this might be my favourite so far..

Great song..

K

Offline Leonard Scaper

• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Karma coins: 953
  • Guest Chef
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 11:11:14 »
Nice. I really like how the organ leads into the guitar at the beginning. This song goes in lots of subtly different directions and then does get seriously trippy at the end.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

Offline junemay

• Rotisseur
  • Karma coins: 87
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 16:39:11 »
Hi @BLACK MIRROR ,

very high quality as always! Nothing to complain or improve (sounds even good through my monitor speakers ;-)

Best,

Fabian

Offline M57

• Rotisseur
  • Karma coins: 125
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 02:49:12 »
High quality song-writing and production as usual.  My nit - and I have to say that though admittedly subjective, I feel pretty strongly about it. The drums just don't work with the track. They're loops, right?  I can't imagine a real drummer would consider playing like that to this tune. Style aside - it's way too busy - especially through the 3rd and 4th beats where that hip-hop kick/snare stutter thing is going on.

Offline BLACK MIRROR

• Poissonier
  • Karma coins: 64
  • Karma Hunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 10:55:47 »
Many thanks to all, Zedd, junemay...
@Leonard Scaper , you've spotted on, neither did we even know what way this song would take. It is always a mystery for us to know what will finally happen with our plans.
@M57 , I was looking forward to your constructive post as always :)
You're right, it's not a real drummer, but neither are loops, it's me putting by hand the beats one by one.
I have no idea what a real drummer would consider... I just like drums with syncopated stutters like the ones you point out in 3rd and 4th bars, although I was not really feeling like hip-hop but drum&bass, which is my true pleasure.
But it is clear that if it shocks you, it means that it does not work at all well. So, thank you for sharing your perception once more :)
Cheers!
BM

Offline M57

• Rotisseur
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 12:00:04 »
Many thanks to all, Zedd, junemay...
@Leonard Scaper , you've spotted on, neither did we even know what way this song would take. It is always a mystery for us to know what will finally happen with our plans.
@M57 , I was looking forward to your constructive post as always :)
You're right, it's not a real drummer, but neither are loops, it's me putting by hand the beats one by one.
I have no idea what a real drummer would consider... I just like drums with syncopated stutters like the ones you point out in 3rd and 4th bars, although I was not really feeling like hip-hop but drum&bass, which is my true pleasure.
But it is clear that if it shocks you, it means that it does not work at all well. So, thank you for sharing your perception once more :)
Cheers!
BM

Hah, I'm not a drummer and I am an old man. That's two strikes so I'm sure I got the genre wrong - I don't doubt that it's drum&bass. Of course the bottom line is - if you like it - keep it.  There's a lot of music out there that mixes and/or mashes up styles, so who's to say what works and doesn't.  Art is personal. So really, I'm an ass for even suggesting that doesn't.  But you know me - I'm OK with that ;)

I'm always amazed how real drummers deal with my songs - Inevitably a good drummer can play things that are all but impossible to program. A good drummer is going to nail the style, get the swing right, the pocket right, the general density of groove, placement and tastiness of fills, and hit the drums/cymbals in the right spots and with the right part of the stick (for effect), etc. I've brought drummers into my studio before, but my current MO is to start early with some basic percussion/drum tracks if only to inspire the performance a bit.  Sometimes a lone shaker is all I need - but I hate clicks. As soon as the piece is reasonably fleshed out, I send a few stems and a chart to a pro, who records his drums in his studio and sends back raw tracks. I was lucky and found a drummer who doesn't charge an arm and a leg. Say between $100 and $200 per song.  Really, in this day and age, I would imagine there should be more and more drummers out there that do this and you would think pricing should become more and more competitive. It makes sense. These guys have their kit perfectly set up, miced and ready to go. Anyway - food for thought.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view), I don't write many songs, maybe one or two a year, so it's not like I'm constantly throwing money at the issue, but I have to say - It's made a huge difference for my tracks and I consider it well worth the money spent. Which makes me think: I don't have my shingle out there, but I could offer a similar service with piano tracks.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 14:53:28 by M57 »

Offline Urban Tumbleweed

• Saucier
  • Karma coins: 7
  • Karma Hunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 13:58:06 »
A professional song that is well put together. If I was streaming some music and this came on, I would just assume I had added to a playlist because I like it and it wouldn't jar against other signed artists. I like the crisp guitar sound. I'm new on here so will have to explore some of your earlier postings.

Offline BLACK MIRROR

• Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 21:33:04 »
Hey @M57 , we've never considered paying a drummer hahahaha I deeply respect that profession but this is not a job for us, it is a pleasure to experiment, even to make mistakes. If we had to pay for someone to make our music, everything would be different, and worse (for me, not for music, sure...).
@Urban Tumbleweed thank you very much for your words and welcome to the kitchen :)
cheers!

Offline Dutchbeat

• MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Karma coins: 1282
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 20:31:44 »
hi @BLACK MIRROR , sounds fantastic to me

the intro was not needed for me, i would liked it if you started with the guitar right away i think, and following that the drums come in, very nice, indeed  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: i like it a lot  ::headphone:: ::headphone:: ::headphone::

i should shut up (because look who is talking) but the first 38 seconds...mhhh, i would go for the one snare and the guitar right in as a start fo the track

it is great right from there on, a joy, great vocals, super sounds and mix, the drum pattern all spot on.... ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 20:49:39 by Dutchbeat »
I lost it...ages ago

Offline Mar T.

• Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Karma coins: 1607
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 00:37:47 »
Hey @BLACK MIRROR thanks for sharing this gem..
What a catchy tune! Perfectly built up, great use of different sounds. Love the synths in the intro eg.. And the picking guitar at 1'45''
I love the way the major chords resolve perfectly in minor and back to major again.. I didn't try the chord progression myself on guitar, but something makes the transitions really fluid. Maybe the different sounds in your palette did the trick..
I was surprised to hear the male voice in the lead this time, you 2 have so much possibilities.. The female BV's sound perfect in this setting imo.. wow.. I'm not saying I prefer the male nor female lead, I love both combinations.
Love the melody/sound/chord prog esp in the line : 'I can see that you lie'.. Euphoria!
Veeeerrry creative and beautiful stuff.. as always.. I'm a fan!
Gotta love that detuned outtro..
Thanks for sharing guys!
Cheers,
:mart:

Offline BLACK MIRROR

• Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 22:54:56 »
Thanks for all those kind words.

Cheers!...B.M.

Offline MrBouzouki

• Chef de Partie
  • Karma coins: 275
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 14:24:06 »
I'm with @Dutchbeat  on this one regarding the intro, mainly because the rate of the Leslie effect on the organ annoys me LOL
When it gets going it's got a nice feel, and the supporting female BV add a nice 'shimmmer' to parts of the song.
Good Job

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::

"Love and Life is all about connections"

Offline Jambrains

• Chef de Partie
  • Karma coins: 350
  • You ain't seen nothing yet..
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 20:26:52 »
I'm a bit late to the party so I'll keep it short.
I'd start the song at 0.38, everything before that did not work at all for me but from there it's 'catchiness' heaven and then it dies for me again around 3.01. Guess I just not been smoking enough funny mushrooms to appreciate it  ;D Sort out the intro & outro and you have a great song. Re the drums I disagree with @M57 (but then we always disagree about drums  ;D ), for me they work just great. I don't buy into the idea that a drum track (and the same discussion is often heard re strings) must necessarily sound like 'real' drums or like they were played by a 'real' drummer. Whatever works for the track works for me. And re, "I can't imagine a real drummer would consider playing like that to this tune " I'd would expect that if Mike Portnoy or Niel Peart did the drums it would sound very different than if say Charlie Watts did them.
Good work!
Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart
My land's only borders lie around my heart

Offline M57

• Rotisseur
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 21:07:19 »
I'm a bit late to the party so I'll keep it short.
I'd start the song at 0.38, everything before that did not work at all for me but from there it's 'catchiness' heaven and then it dies for me again around 3.01. Guess I just not been smoking enough funny mushrooms to appreciate it  ;D Sort out the intro & outro and you have a great song. Re the drums I disagree with @M57 (but then we always disagree about drums  ;D ), for me they work just great. I don't buy into the idea that a drum track (and the same discussion is often heard re strings) must necessarily sound like 'real' drums or like they were played by a 'real' drummer. Whatever works for the track works for me. And re, "I can't imagine a real drummer would consider playing like that to this tune " I'd would expect that if Mike Portnoy or Niel Peart did the drums it would sound very different than if say Charlie Watts did them.
Good work!

I agree in principle with what you say. As always, my comments are highly subjective. - but I did qualify my original quote in saying that the drumming "style" didn't seem as aligned with the tune, but I realize that everything is on the table with today's technology.  I think a separate thread about drum tracks (Virtual Machines/Programs Vs. RL) would be fun.

granny-blade