• Musical Polygamist

• January 26, 2021, 16:00:57
    • Carbondale, CO
  • more
Freefall
on: January 01, 2021, 03:25:47
Happy New Year!  Good riddance 2020!!!

Sooooooo....

Here is one I dug out of the vaults.  I originally wrote and recorded this tune in 2013 or 2014.  It's kind of a grungy, dream pop kind of thing.  I've always loved this song, but the recording I did back then was terrible lol.  I always intended to bring it back and do it justice because I do think the song is good (I usually never think that lol). 

I originally thought at the time that I was writing about two guys fist fighting on the upper floors of a skyscraper and crashing through a window and falling to their deaths.  Morbid, I know.  As it turns out, hindsight revealed to me that I was really writing about the impending crash-and-burn death of the relationship I was in at that time.  I can kind of even hear the depressed, delirious state I was in in the melody.  Crazy how you can look back on something and see it in a way that never would have made sense to me back then.  Music is awesome.

Freefall

Its far too late to save the pane of glass
that we have fallen through
The pieces flash as we break through
the sparkling light gets in my eyes
in my eyes
the pictures stick in my mind
in my mind

We twist and turn as we descend
to meet our imminent demise
The moments frozen there in time
seconds like hours in my mind
in my mind
the panic shows in my eyes
in my eyes

If only we could see another way
a different way
perhaps we wouldnt be so predictably
and comfortably out of time

And as we hit the ground
the wait to fade to black has reached its end
But from the black there comes a light
that flashes warmly in my eyes
in my eyes
the vision's warped in my mind
in my mind

https://soundcloud.com/knate-official/freefall

• Tolo
  • Poissonier

• January 09, 2021, 13:54:19
    • Johannesburg
  • more
Re: Freefall
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 08:12:07
@Knate  - this is a really great recording. So full of energy and indeed angst. I adore the bass guitar sound - it is like something from a Muse track or better still a Rush track - really drives the song on. How did you do that - is it a sample or a real overdriven bass guitar? Everything sits nicely in the mix - the epic vocals are just about right - possibly could come up a little in places - but a small nit. This was a great listen - had a 'real band' feel about it. Well done.

By the way - just now listening to 'It doesn't seem to happen...' - and also a great track expertly played and sang - and a polar difference from Freefall - more of the Extreme kind of vibe...

Looking forward to hearing more!

T
Pro Tools 2020
UAD Apollo Twin Duo
Furman AC210E
10.13 High Sierra
SSD Thunderbolt Audio
i9 7900 10 Core
64G Crucial DDR4

www.tonylowther.com

Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 20:17:44
Hola @Knate
I loved the lyrics, they are great, the same for the song.
On my headphones the reverb seems to be a bit loud? But it's a song full of colors, energy. Good production.

Happy New Year

Mora
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
https://vimeo.com/onacarom

• Knate
  • Poissonier
  • Musical Polygamist

• Carbondale, CO
  • more
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 00:01:59
@Knate  - this is a really great recording. So full of energy and indeed angst. I adore the bass guitar sound - it is like something from a Muse track or better still a Rush track - really drives the song on. How did you do that - is it a sample or a real overdriven bass guitar? Everything sits nicely in the mix - the epic vocals are just about right - possibly could come up a little in places - but a small nit. This was a great listen - had a 'real band' feel about it. Well done.

By the way - just now listening to 'It doesn't seem to happen...' - and also a great track expertly played and sang - and a polar difference from Freefall - more of the Extreme kind of vibe...

Looking forward to hearing more!

T

Thank you, Tolo.  I really appreciate your feedback.  Im quite the fan of Muse's earlier stuff and in particular that bass sound.  Songs like Hysteria and Stockholm Syndrome...so good.
I played this straight through on my bass head out of the DI.  The game changer for me was two particular plug ins from Waves:  Abbey Road Saturator and the Bass Rider.  The saturation really gives the tone the bite I wanted and the rider plug just keeps it in the sweet spot of the mix.  I used to have so much trouble mixing bass too.  Those two plugs made it easy. 

Im glad you liked the other song too.  Thats part of an acoustic EP Im going to release.  If you dig deeper on my soundcloud, you'll find that the music I make is all over the map.  I have some loose jazz on there, electro stuff, straight blues, rock, country, etc.  I dont like to limit myself when creating music.  I just do whatever the muse tells me to lol. 

• Knate
  • Poissonier
  • Musical Polygamist

• Carbondale, CO
  • more
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 00:04:20
Hola @Knate
I loved the lyrics, they are great, the same for the song.
On my headphones the reverb seems to be a bit loud? But it's a song full of colors, energy. Good production.

Happy New Year

Mora

Thank you!  In what way do you mean the reverb is too loud?  Do you mean the light hiss at the beginning?

• Dutchbeat
  • Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 21:47:19
  • more
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 17:33:47
hi @Knate

that is pretty awesome  :o :o :o, awesomely awesome even  :yes: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sounds so good, that sound of that bass , and the entirety of the mix  :o :o :o :o

wow....i mean... WOW

strong song, what a tune, oh and super nice vocals (back up ....wooohaaa..woooo vocals..SUPER  :ok:)
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 18:02:56
Great tune @Knate ......it has that "wall of sound" feel to it. I agree with @Tolo about the bass.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 08:35:31
 :thumbsup:

Wonderful lyrics and great sound. 
Create!