• Great Big Things - Nothing You Can't Do
  • Started by GreatBigThings
Great Big Things - Nothing You Can't Do
on: May 28, 2018, 01:40:51
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 01:45:49 by GreatBigThings »
Hey guys!

It's been a while, months in fact. unfortunately I've been incredibly busy in the real-world (hah)... i quit my full-time job working for a games company, and now I'm freelancing full-time. It's been great so far but of course a big leap and change in life. I managed to get some time over the last few weekends to work on a new track though. I wanted to work from the ground up, strip out a lot of the noise in some of my other tracks and make something really clean.

https://soundcloud.com/great-big-things/nothing-you-cant-do

I have another new track that i'm working on too, it's more a summer electronic track though.

Anyways, let me know how you feel about this one. i'm scared i'm a bit rusty

Cheers,
Joe

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• Yesterday at 00:38:16
    • Sydney, Australia
    • https://www.facebook.com/drivingsouthband/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCygXcTLN2FroxhUQM_90J6Q?view_as=subscriber https://soundcloud.com/user-386444683
  • more
Re: Great Big Things - Nothing You Can't Do
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 04:08:10
Hi Joe,

Sounds like an exciting time for you work wise - and glad to see you've still found time to work on your music.

I've listened to your music before and as I've mentioned before - it's not really what I would normally listen to, so I'm not really qualified to comment on anything specific.

But, as with your other tracks, it sounds, slick and professional. Your voice suits this genre and you have interesting melodies.

With this one, I quite like the way the drums come in, in places. They sound like rock drums which almost don't go with the song, although that could be your intention - or I could be wrong of course!

cheers

• Mutrins
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• October 20, 2019, 12:25:56
  • more
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 10:30:25
Cool track! love the atmosphere of it.

I think you could lower the strings (synth sound that comes in) and maybe think about more electronic sounding drums? The current drums don't seem to fit the song (to me, at least). I like the way they sound but maybe a thicker drum beat could work?

Overall really cool track!!

Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 10:53:59
Great feedback guys, helps so much to get fresh ears!!!
i'm re-working the drums so they're a bit less rocky, more minimalist/electronic. the strings are a bit loud, so will lower them a bit.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 00:27:31
  • more
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 18:11:28
sounds good @GreatBigThings ...you still have got it  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

i loved the track, but it seemed to me your voice sis higher / sounds higher in this track compared to your other tracks....to me the vocal sort of was a bit thin sounding, perhaps that is what you want for this track, but it was the only thing i thought could be inproved, to get the vocal sound fuller / warmer

but it sounds great to me ::headphone:: ::headphone:: ::headphone::

good luck with your new job  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
me, myself, and Pie

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• December 04, 2019, 01:12:12
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 18:32:39
I think the main thing missing for me @GreatBigThings is a proper bottom end. As a whole the track seem too thin.

You might be going for a sparse sound but I think that should not be at the expense of losing all the nice bass frequencies that add body to a mix.
Have you filtered out the bottom-end in some way as I reckon it is a mistake to my ears ? It sounds an interesting song but I'm not getting past the overall thinness that leaves it feeling a bit flat.
The reverb also seems overdone at 2:48 too for my ears.

I'm not an expert at this, or any other genre, so take these seemingly negative comments with a pinch of salt.

Good Work in general - just not sure about the lack of lower frequencies

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::

"Love and Life is all about connections"

Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 06:59:46
I re-worked the mastering today to beef up the low end.

@Dutchbeat - My voice is higher in this track, i'm trying to push myself into higher ranges. I added a bit more bass to balance it out.

Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 11:40:15
Hi @GreatBigThings ,

I like the overall atmosphere and the track. I found the crash cymbals from the drums too harsh and too loud. I agree the song could still benefit from more bass (e.g. a deep pad?).

Well done otherwise.

Fabian

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• August 31, 2019, 23:25:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 13:51:32
I guess you have gone thin and high to capture a more delicate mood @GreatBigThings , and to a large extent it has worked, but I do tend to agree with most comments above. Still you certainly know how to write a good pop song, and this one is catchy as ever and an enjoyable listen.  ;)
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 18:04:26
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 18:07:13 by GreatBigThings »
Hey guys,
I totally wasn't happy with this one :DDD

I decided to completely rework, I stripped it down and built it up from scratch. I re-recorded the vocals in falsetto and switched the key.

If you hit refresh on the soundcloud link should be the new version :DDDD

Hopefully it's an improvement, the version i had before didn't feel like i captured the essence of the original idea. The song writing process started with me strumming Ukelele and humming in falsetto, which then turned into the vocals you can hear now. I wasn't sure I could pull off the falsetto range without it sounding off, but it went better than I expected. 

Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 12:49:54
Hey guys,
I totally wasn't happy with this one :DDD

I decided to completely rework, I stripped it down and built it up from scratch. I re-recorded the vocals in falsetto and switched the key.

If you hit refresh on the soundcloud link should be the new version :DDDD

Hopefully it's an improvement, the version i had before didn't feel like i captured the essence of the original idea. The song writing process started with me strumming Ukelele and humming in falsetto, which then turned into the vocals you can hear now. I wasn't sure I could pull off the falsetto range without it sounding off, but it went better than I expected.

I absolutely love this song. Great work man. You are verry talented indeed. Keep up the good work. You got your own ID. That is very important in my world. A lot of people who make music doesn't have that. Having one is a gift.

xx
Great Big Things - Condor

Started by GreatBigThings on Songs for review

12 Replies
Last post April 13, 2017, 00:20:15
by GreatBigThings
xx
Great Big Things - Predators

Started by GreatBigThings on Songs for review

4 Replies
Last post November 07, 2016, 02:17:15
by Andrew Jezmund