• Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• January 18, 2021, 15:11:29
    • Ireland
  • more
I Refuse
on: January 13, 2021, 20:29:41
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 18:48:34 by GaryHynes »
Hello to everyone in the kitchen. A wee project I made with a friend. He did the editing, I climbed the ladder. Hope you like.

Lyrics:
I refuse to live in fear I'd rather take the risk that's already there and cannot be denied.
I refuse to worry about, the next enemy to fight, I am tired of that life.
Self is other & you can't deny, we're of the earth and we're of the sky.
I see you and you see me apart we got no destiny.
I refuse to live in a security state, I'd go to prison before I would chose that cage.
I refuse to join the crowd, even if it means that when I don't I will be the odd one out.
I refuse to be censored, I will speak my mind, whether or not it fits in to YouTube guidelines.
I refuse to say black live matter when we know that movement has done too much harm and not much good.
I refuse to conclude that the answer to the problem is hysteria.
You can't go back. You can't stand still. If the thunder don't get you. The lightning will.

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• Today at 20:12:20
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Re: I Refuse
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 00:38:58
Super song - very well executed clip and lyrics and mix.
Will you post the lyrics here?
new guitar 4-6-2020 https://soundcloud.com/oorlab/12string-demo1 12string Cort.

• GaryHynes
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• Ireland
  • more
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 18:50:51
Super song - very well executed clip and lyrics and mix.
Will you post the lyrics here?

Thank you @oorlab
I just posted the lyrics in the OP. Sorry I didn't initially, need to get in to the habit.
 :)

Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 21:13:05
Cool tune @GaryHynes .....I like how you treated the vocals.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• Today at 20:12:20
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 21:28:41
Superb - I like this line:
"Self is other & you can't deny, we're of the earth and we're of the sky."
a lot - reminds me of Yer Blues.
@GaryHynes  - keep it up!

• GaryHynes
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• Ireland
  • more
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 21:43:04
Superb - I like this line:
"Self is other & you can't deny, we're of the earth and we're of the sky."
a lot - reminds me of Yer Blues.
@GaryHynes  - keep it up!

Oh yes. I love those lyrics from that song. My mother is of the earth, my father is of the sky, but I am of the Universe, and you know what it's worth!!

Cool tune @GaryHynes .....I like how you treated the vocals.

Thanks a lot Leonard.

Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 06:11:37
Nice work @GaryHynes the lyrics come off a bit preachy when reading them... but the mood of the song is so charming and matter-of-fact that it comes across as sharing with a buddy.

The video is well thought out and fits that mood perfectly.

Really fun and pleasant.... thank you for sharing. 🙏😎

• GaryHynes
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• Ireland
  • more
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 18:38:17
Nice work @GaryHynes the lyrics come off a bit preachy when reading them... but the mood of the song is so charming and matter-of-fact that it comes across as sharing with a buddy.

Thanks a lot for watching and you kind feedback @1roomstudio Glad you like it.

I'm intrigued why you think it's "preachy"? If I wanted to preach I would have said "You should not..." at the beginning of each line. It's not my intention to push the ideals I present in the song on others.

Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 20:01:27

I'm intrigued why you think it's "preachy"? If I wanted to preach I would have said "You should not..." at the beginning of each line. It's not my intention to push the ideals I present in the song on others.

Fair question  @GaryHynes note that I said “a bit preachy.” In other words “hinting at” rather  than “pushy.” If you had said “You should not..”  at each line I might have passed on giving it a listen.

Every line in the song is  a generic,  although personal , statement about Freedom  and  Responsibility....except one. The line  about  BLM  strays into  opinion and  hints at ideology. Nothing wrong with that.... but  it stood out as a different message  than the rest  of the lyrics.

On a second read I realized  that the BLM  line was a lead up to the final line about “hysteria” ... (a well crafted one at that!) In my first read I hadn’t made that connection.

Listening to the song and watching the video, it comes across as a strong but gentle spirit sharing and declaring Freedom of Thought.

Nicely done. 🙏

• GaryHynes
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• Ireland
  • more
Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 20:35:25

Fair question  @GaryHynes note that I said “a bit preachy.” In other words “hinting at” rather  than “pushy.” If you had said “You should not..”  at each line I might have passed on giving it a listen.

Every line in the song is  a generic,  although personal , statement about Freedom  and  Responsibility....except one. The line  about  BLM  strays into  opinion and  hints at ideology. Nothing wrong with that.... but  it stood out as a different message  than the rest  of the lyrics.

On a second read I realized  that the BLM  line was a lead up to the final line about “hysteria” ... (a well crafted one at that!) In my first read I hadn’t made that connection.

Listening to the song and watching the video, it comes across as a strong but gentle spirit sharing and declaring Freedom of Thought.

Nicely done. 🙏

Really like this response @1roomstudio. Take a lot from it. I see what you mean about generic, many of the lyrics are a repitition on what some people have been saying recently. Perhaps trying to give a voice to an alternative narrative. I enjoy taking these common phrases and bringing melody to them.

BLM and hysteria definitely go together, but also stand alone. Is there really ever a reason to be hysterical? Knowing it doesn't do any good? I am very interested in the idea of non-reaction and not being affected by outside forces, in a time of mass hysteria is a tough but worthwhile practice. Also, BLM wasn't in the original lyrics but the more I looked in to it the less it became a movement I could get behind.

Thanks again for listening and the dialogue.

Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 01:37:18
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 01:42:00 by 1roomstudio »
I am very interested in the idea of non-reaction and not being affected by outside forces, in a time of mass hysteria is a tough but worthwhile practice.

That is such a great point! And your song speaks to it on multiple levels. There are times that taking action is important... usually, remaining calm is the better path... panic and hysteria are never the solution.

Your song speaks to the common sense of this. 🙏