• I Won't Wait........Revival Choir Cover
  • Started by Leonard Scaper
I Won't Wait........Revival Choir Cover
on: May 22, 2017, 14:36:07
I know it's a bit early for a contest post but I really need to get this song out into the world right now. I watched the video of Sean...... @revivalchoir .....doing this live with a cello, an accordion and a stand up bass and that video influenced my own material greatly. I don't do many covers so that was a real challenge, especially trying to capture the intensity that Sean put into that performance. I actually played guitar along with the performance and kept that as the main track. I had to really push my vocal range a bit to catch that edge.

Thank you @revivalchoir for letting me cover this amazing song.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13575560

VERSE
A great blue sky
And underneath
We lay in bed
On separate streets
It's poetry
The way you left
The secrets kept
In disbelief
A lack of hope
An absent joy
With endless words
From an empty boy

CHORUS
And I won't stay
And wait for you to get your head on straight
I won't wait for you to get your head on straight
I won't wait for you to get your head on straight

VERSE
A great blue sea
Of memories
Of quiet things
You've said to me
The nights awake
And endless days
To fill with words
I never say

CHORUS

BRIDGE
'Cause I can't wait forever for you
I can't wait forever for you
When the evening meets the morning
I'll be standing on a train
When the evening meets the morning
Meets the morning

CHORUS

"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Re: I Won't Wait........Revival Choir Cover
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 14:52:29
Hi Leonard, that is a great interpretation of a fantastic song!

Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 15:40:10
thank you for the wonderful honor of having been covered by you! i'm so happy with how this turned out!!
:,)
 ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
<3,
soundcloud.com/revivalchoir

Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 17:01:45
@ajwvdberg ...thanks. It really is an amazing tune.

@revivalchoir .....whew! I admit to being nervous about how you would like my interpretation.

Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 17:13:48
@revivalchoir .....whew! I admit to being nervous about how you would like my interpretation.

I know the feeling.

Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 18:55:56
I forgot one very important thing.....the REAL thing.

Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 22:14:10
@Leonard Scaper You made it your own.

Agree with everything @ajwvdberg wrote.

My one suggestion if you are looking to do more is maybe experiment a little with the build/exit at the end.

Sean's original is so emotionally intense at the end it always blows me away when I hear it. Very difficult to capture that emotional intensity I know (and I'm not saying you should sing the same as your voice has a wonderful quality all of its own). But it seems like your voices at the end are fighting a bit against the rest of the mix, which is a shame. One thought I had was maybe remove the instruments underneath altogether and just fade out with your multiple voices continuing to sing it. I think this would really bring out your voice which is so different and unique and makes the cover so different from Sean.

Anyways, I am sure everyone on the forum will be falling around with laughter at the man who consistently buries his vocals in the mix attempting to give advice on burying vocals in the mix!! :)

Whatever the case , it is a fantastic rendition

Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 23:13:51
Thanks @Olbigead ...I will definitely look at that. I admit that I struggled with trying to get some of @revivalchoir 's intensity into my vocals. I used those harmonies to try to build the end drastically and then dropped them out for the last line. There is some extra electric guitar in there at the end as well as some synth staff at the far ends. I'll try pulling the harmonies back and maybe even dialing other elements back

thanks for the appreciation with what I have so far.

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 23:50:57
@Olbigead .......I was thinking about your comment about the voices fighting at the end of the mix as I drove home from my day job. I think I'll try something out this weekend........I'll through my big ol' tube mic into omni and re-sing those backing vocals from farther out in the room. I'll sing each one from a slightly different position.

Might work.

Is this fun...or what?   ;D

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• March 03, 2020, 21:01:03
    • Sydney, Australia
    • https://www.facebook.com/drivingsouthband/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCygXcTLN2FroxhUQM_90J6Q?view_as=subscriber https://soundcloud.com/user-386444683
  • more
Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 23:58:46
Great cover of a really great song @Leonard Scaper

I think you approached it with great sensitivity and added your own style and sound to it.

cheers

Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 01:48:16
@Jurgen .....thanks for checking it out. I learned that doing a cover brings with it a great deal of responsibility to be true to the spirit of the original. That is seriously magnified when the original artist is a "family" member as we all are here in The Kitchen.

I think it's a lot harder than just writing a new song.

I am so looking forward to hearing how other folks handle this.  ;)

• Mark Luto
  • Sous Chef
  • Enthusiastic Dilettante

• August 16, 2020, 00:58:26
    • Zurich, Switzerland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MarkLutoMusic/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2oOby1sRdVp60eBi8msivQ https://soundcloud.com/markluto
  • more
Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 03:18:07
A wonderful cover of a gorgeous song @Leonard Scaper ! Very well done! ::headphone::
It sounds totally different from your own songs, and I think that's great. Not that I don't like your stuff (in fact I like it a lot), but here you kind of stepped out of your comfort zone a little, and the music still sound so good. That is a great thing, isn't it?

I learned that doing a cover brings with it a great deal of responsibility to be true to the spirit of the original. That is seriously magnified when the original artist is a "family" member as we all are here in The Kitchen.
You are so right. It's not an easy thing to, but a magnificent experience to really delve into a "foreign" song and try to break out its qualities with one's own skills. A task you performed brilliantly (and that I'm struggling with at the moment...) :D

Cheers,
Mark

• Ehsan
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• November 05, 2019, 22:14:56
    • Iran
    • https://soundcloud.com/ehsanei
  • more
Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 07:00:21
Good job @Leonard Scaper ! I enjoyed both versions.  ::thumb::

Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 11:08:11
@Ehsan ....I'm glad you listened to both. That live version by @revivalchoir is really amazing.

@Mark Luto .......Thank you for that appreciation of the challenges of covering such a great song. I knew I was pretty far out of my comfort zone right from the start and I let that fact push the production in whatever direction it needed to go. I played the song on acoustic guitar for a week feeling completely out of sync with it all the while. It wasn't until I uncased my electric guitar and stood my usual routine on its head that I found MY place with Sean's song.

This really has been an amazing experience and I urge others to join in. Nobody loses in this contest, that's for sure.

8)

Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 11:33:33
Hey @Leonard Scaper - this is just lovely..  It's a fantastic song (chorus is SOOOOO GOOD!) and I just love the live version with the @revivalchoir fan club singing along (how cool!!)...

I love what you've done with it - the harmonies in the chorus are perfect... Really like the instrumentation choices and mood you've created.. This cover competition is always intriguing to hear what the different writing and performance styles create - I love both versions of this in different ways..

I'll be interested to hear what you do with the ending based on your discussions with @Olbigead - I kinda agree that stripping it back would be interesting although I like the swell and the way you strip back to a single voice for the last line...

Kudos... I agree also with the discussion re the responsibility of taking on another's song.. I guess why I'm being a cowardy custard - not brave enough to try.. maybe next year :)..

Well done to you!

K

xx
2018 Cover Challenge - Revival choir ~ Make you a room cover

Started by Bluedusksun on Songs for review

16 Replies
Last post September 05, 2018, 01:32:41
by Bluedusksun
xx
Revival Choir / Everything There Is

Started by revivalchoir on Songs for review

9 Replies