• In Your Dreams - an Orchestral Mystery (Finished Piece)
  • Started by MrBouzouki
  • MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Today at 08:38:45
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 10:07:08 by MrBouzouki »
Well it was a quick one for me in the end. The final version of my orchestral mystery.

Some might say 'what has this got to do with a songwriting forum', but the words of the little poem lead me into this piece.

=====================================================================================================

In Your Dreams - an Orchestral Mystery

Another tick of the clock,
one moment follows another,
But is there space outside reality ?

The beat goes on,
incessant and unceasing.
But while you sleep do you live another lifetime ?

... in your dreams ?

P Goodrich Nov 2020

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Background

This track developed from playing a simple arpeggio that you can hear in the pizzicato strings. It ended up examining the space beyond the norm ... lol

Anyway, an interesting little project and the words that arrived from the 'ether' acted as a catalyst for the music. I'm quite enjoying using orchestral instruments in my storytelling at the moment.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instrumentation

Celesta (Bell Piano)- Kontakt Factory Library
Pizzicato Strings - Albion One (Spitfire)
Violin - Chris Hein Strings
Viola - Chris Hein Strings
Alto Flute -Chris Hein Winds
Cello - Chris Hein Strings
The sound of an antique clock FX that is classed as Public Domain is used to add colour and provide a rhythmic pulse to the track from www.freesound.org
creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki/in-your-dreams

"Love and Life is all about connections"

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 08:31:08
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Re: In Your Dreams - an Orchestral Mystery (Finished Piece)
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 09:11:05
Yes I understand @MrBouzouki
What a beautiful poem.
I give full attention to your music when in the vicinity of decent head phones.

Never give up! I love your music to pieces.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 08:36:32
Well it was a quick one for me in the end. The final version of my orchestral mystery.

Some might say 'what has this got to do with a songwriting forum', but the words of the little poem and lead me into this piece.

=====================================================================================================

In Your Dreams - an Orchestral Mystery

Another tick of the clock,
one moment follows another,
But is there space outside reality ?

The beat goes on,
incessant and unceasing.
But while you sleep do you live another lifetime ?

... in your dreams ?

P Goodrich Nov 2020

Background

This track developed from playing a simple arpeggio that you can hear in the pizzicato strings. It ended up examining the space beyond the norm ... lol

Anyway, an interesting little project and the words that arrived from the 'ether' acted as a catalyst for the music. I'm quite enjoying using orchestral instruments in my storytelling at the moment.
Instrumentation

Celesta (Bell Piano)- Kontakt Factory Library
Pizzicato Strings - Albion One (Spitfire)
Violin - Chris Hein Strings
Viola - Chris Hein Strings
Alto Flute -Chris Hein Winds
Cello - Chris Hein Strings
The sound of an antique clock FX that is classed as Public Domain is used to add colour and provide a rhythmic pulse to the track from www.freesound.org
creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki/in-your-dreams

That arpeggio serves as a great motif and ostinato.  It really holds it together nicely. I enjoyed what I heard.
Create!

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 13:37:17
It is really interesting what modern synth replicas allow you to do when it comes to classical instruments, isn't it? The piece you created there is a wonderful example of it. It also makes me curious what your piece might sound like if it was played by the actual authentic instruments. Possibly you could leave it open for collabs and fish for people who could play parts? The composition is quite nice and atmospheric, so possibly you could tempt them in? :)
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 13:01:07
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 10:08:24 by MrBouzouki »
An interesting question @Pleudoniem ... I had this response on Facebook by somebody who is a fairly gifted violinist

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" Very soothing sound and technology. 3 mins of fast pizzicato would be an ouch! "

I replied ...

" Finger-stalls are an option 🤣🤣🤣 One of the perils of using a virtual orchestra :-) "

She replied ...

"Yes virtual orchestration is a very different beast. Sounds good though."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is disconnect I believe between those doing mock-ups that can be played by actual players and composers using virtual orchestration as music in itself.

For my part, the parts of an orchestra are just other instruments I can 'play' and I don't get too hung up with things like the above, it worked to my ears, so job done. To be fair, I don't feel she was being 'sniffy' about it.

If the purists had their way we would never move on to different means of expression.

In the end it's just sound waves hitting your ears after all.  The journey might be interesting for some, for others its just about how it sounds  ;D ;D ;D

Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 22:33:23
Hola @MrBouzouki

It is an introspective piece, it has shadows but it is not dark, it is softly real, nostalgic. The violin and viola I love how they speak. Very nice work,
I love the clock, it is such a suggestive instrument ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

Muy bonito.

Stay safe

Mora
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
https://vimeo.com/onacarom

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 10:19:13
Thanks for the feedback @CGHound ... it's always nice to think you got something together. Quite intense writing for me, it was like something wanted to get out. Maybe it was from a dream I had  ;D ;D ;D

@Mora Amaro La Loba ... I'm glad you didn't get darkness. I was aiming for mysterious to some extent and I think I had very little say in what came out in the end. It sort of wrote itself. I loved using  the Celesta and I'm sure I will use it again. It has a musical box / almost fairy like quality I feel.

Celesta, also spelled celeste, orchestral percussion instrument resembling a small upright piano, patented by a Parisian, Auguste Mustel, in 1886. It consists of a series of small metal bars (and hence is a metallophone) with a keyboard and a simplified piano action in which small felt hammers strike the bars. Each bar is resonated by a wooden box or similar chamber tuned to reinforce the fundamental harmonic (component tone) of the bar. A pedal lifts a felt-pad damper from the bars, permitting use of either sustained or short notes. The normal range is four octaves upward from middle C.

I'm also glad you liked the clock. It was a recording of an old antique clock I got from freesound.org. A great place for these sort of sounds.

Perhaps you might make one of your audio/video adventures using a clock as a focus Mora ?  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 16:16:39
Splendid work! Very, very nice.

The thing I was intrigued was clock sound. Maybe it should've been a little bit, just a little lower in my opinion. But that's just a tiny little thing. It does not compromise the whole structure at all.

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 17:26:41
Thanks for that @alcapone_dudu and it was something I thought about. 

Quite often, I use Foley sounds to add to my music but this time I felt I wanted more than an effect. In a way the tick is the main event, the pulse that marks the passage of time. It relentlessly ticks on whilst the other instruments are the fleeting images, emotions etc. of the dream state.

Maybe with the mix I've given it too much, and with a thing like a tick of a clock, mileage probably varies on what type of system the listener is using. One of the things I didn't want was for it to sound like a metronome, so by having it louder, your ear picks up the sound of the worn escapement and perhaps sounds less metronomic ? 

Thanks for this feedback, it's always interesting to get feedback on non-musical things like this.  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 22:30:51
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 23:07:02 by Mora Amaro La Loba »
...Perhaps you might make one of your audio/video adventures using a clock as a focus Mora ?  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

Ho ho ho Clocks are an obsession in my poetry, the time they hold ... Of course, I do not offer any resistance to your suggestion ... I will make a video measuring the invisible ...
Stay safe!  @MrBouzouki

Mora

Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 14:11:37
@MrBouzouki  :lol: :lol: :lol: Wonderful!!  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

xx
Orchestral Ending Test Piece

Started by MrBouzouki on The kitchen café

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2020, 08:03:12
by Tolo
xx
Should we split the Finished Work section into Finished Songs and Finished Productions?

Started by Mar T. on The kitchen café

15 Replies
Last post January 09, 2016, 16:36:22
by Mar T.
xx
The End Of The Skyline (Orchestral Update)

Started by M57 on Songs for review

42 Replies
Last post January 03, 2018, 13:46:44
by M57
xx
Alleyways (DrDisrespect and J+1) Orchestral Cover

Started by TDM on Songs for review

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2020, 00:42:15
by TDM
xx
The Mystery