• Started by IronKnee
  • IronKnee
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Karma Hunter

• June 24, 2020, 15:46:54
  • more
"It's Over"
on: June 12, 2020, 07:19:46
Hi Everyone....gotta new one. Hope you all like it. Any and all comments are welcome and first impressions are most welcome!
Thanks, in advance...........
                                                     -Tom

"It's Over"
by Tom Tognaci

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14062893

Believe me when I say, "I love you"
But I can see the future, too
Somewhere there's got to be another
another love, other than you

I'm here to tell you that it's over!
The final knot has been untied
And, though you think this will blow over
That's just "so-you" tangled in pride.

With all there was, I tried, to tell you
I couldn't fit a word edgewise
Between the jibber and the jabber
you couldn't hear my weary sighs

Over, now that it's finally out
You say, compared to ice, I'm colder
But that's the curse you're all abut

At last there came that final straw
So cold, I turn to you this shoulder
What more a picture can I draw?
I Know The Truth By My Struggle Against It

• MotterPaul
  • Patissier
  • Man o' World

• Yesterday at 02:48:53
    • Encinitas CA
  • more
Re: "It's Over"
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 01:25:57
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 01:47:23 by MotterPaul »
It's a really nice Dorian song that could easily be a rock song by Foreigner or the Who. Good job.  Did you record the guitar twice (panned Left & right) or did you use a delay on one guitar?

Actually, your songs just kept playing on Soundclick and they have a lot of potential. I especially like "They're only tears."  I hear that someone did production on "When," the production is really good but I think it needs a remix, I think the strings seem a little out of sync though all the parts are really nice. Your songs deserve to have production on all of them.

I like your sense of melody a lot. You have a lot of short phrases that are very catchy.
I work on Protools, was a pro recording engineer for 10 years in analog. I play compose, perform record and mix everything in my recordings.

Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 12:57:53
Love how you sing this one @IronKnee . Seriously good whistling as well!

I am also wondering with @MotterPaul how you got that nice natural  guitar spread.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• MotterPaul
  • Patissier
  • Man o' World

• Encinitas CA
  • more
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 20:29:35
You have a good singing voice and you are a good songwriter. I was playing around with your melody in "Tears" and I wish I could show you something I tried. I started the first 2 lines of the verses lower  (on the root - the same notes you use in the chorus) so the four lines build in pitch. It works really nicely with that natural minor chord change you have going on.

You could get the same effect in the chorus if you sang the fourth line higher.

• IronKnee
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Karma Hunter

• more
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 21:48:57
It's a really nice Dorian song that could easily be a rock song by Foreigner or the Who. Good job.  Did you record the guitar twice (panned Left & right) or did you use a delay on one guitar?

Actually, your songs just kept playing on Soundclick and they have a lot of potential. I especially like "They're only tears."  I hear that someone did production on "When," the production is really good but I think it needs a remix, I think the strings seem a little out of sync though all the parts are really nice. Your songs deserve to have production on all of them.

I like your sense of melody a lot. You have a lot of short phrases that are very catchy.

Thanks MotterPaul.........Recording is my weakest area........I always dread recording. "They're Only Tears" came out dreadful. I am very happy with the song, but the recording is hideous. I'm very happy the songwriting is able to somehow shine thru.
Thanks for the encouragement.

You have a good singing voice and you are a good songwriter. I was playing around with your melody in "Tears" and I wish I could show you something I tried. I started the first 2 lines of the verses lower  (on the root - the same notes you use in the chorus) so the four lines build in pitch. It works really nicely with that natural minor chord change you have going on.

You could get the same effect in the chorus if you sang the fourth line higher.

Hey there MotterPaul.......I'm always interested with ideas concerning my music. Is there a way to post on SoundCloud or SoundClick? I would like to hear your thoughts.  8)

Love how you sing this one @IronKnee . Seriously good whistling as well!

I am also wondering with @MotterPaul how you got that nice natural  guitar spread.

Hi Leonard...........thanks for listening. That came quit by accident. I'm a bit surprised that anyone even noticed.
The two guitar tracks are one in the same, only digitally separated by .02 seconds. The panning stations is a result of some wild placing of the two tracks that satisfied my ears at the time.
I'm so glad it works.........many times it does not (like my song, "They're Only Tears")

• MotterPaul
  • Patissier
  • Man o' World

• Encinitas CA
  • more
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 22:06:53
the melody notes for the verse I hear are:

E, F# G#,
F#, G#, A
G#, A, B
A, B, C, B

Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 02:35:39
@IronKnee Ah yes, there's the jibber and the jabber. It's quite a coincidence, really, because I hadn't heard the song yet.

The recording is ok, although there are tools that can make it sound a little wider still. Lots of them, eally.

As for the song, the first word that sprang to mind was Woodstock. I think it has a Crosby Stills Nash feeling over it, but for a singer/songwriter, that cannot possibly be bad.
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

• IronKnee
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Karma Hunter

• more
Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 03:13:51
the melody notes for the verse I hear are:

E, F# G#,
F#, G#, A
G#, A, B
A, B, C, B

I'm sure it's just me, but after noodling this a bit, I couldn't be sure if I was catching your drift. Might be better to hear this. :)

@IronKnee Ah yes, there's the jibber and the jabber. It's quite a coincidence, really, because I hadn't heard the song yet.

The recording is ok, although there are tools that can make it sound a little wider still. Lots of them, eally.

As for the song, the first word that sprang to mind was Woodstock. I think it has a Crosby Stills Nash feeling over it, but for a singer/songwriter, that cannot possibly be bad.

The recording aspect of what I do actually bores me. I would rather have someone else do this for me, with only my preferential input.  I record my songs only to post..............if the songs don't shine thru the dullish mar of my productions, then they probably aren't that good to begin with (that's what I tell myself, anyways).
Anyways....as a closet singer/songwriter.........it is what it is!
Thanks for listening!!
                                                     -Tom

• MotterPaul
  • Patissier
  • Man o' World

• Encinitas CA
  • more
Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 05:14:44
what are the two first chords in the Tears song? is it Emajor to Eminor9 ? that's what it sounds like.

• IronKnee
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Karma Hunter

• more
Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 09:02:58
what are the two first chords in the Tears song? is it Emajor to Eminor9 ? that's what it sounds like.

The first is an Esus2 and the second (I think) is Am6 /C. These are produced utilizing a capo on the second.
 :)

• MotterPaul
  • Patissier
  • Man o' World

• Encinitas CA
  • more
Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 18:34:01
I will try to make a short video on my phone so you can see what I mean.

Those chords make sense in terms of what I was hearing. The melody starts out in E-major and then transitions to natural minor - it's very unique.

• IronKnee
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Karma Hunter

• more
Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 05:40:37
I will try to make a short video on my phone so you can see what I mean.

Those chords make sense in terms of what I was hearing. The melody starts out in E-major and then transitions to natural minor - it's very unique.

:thumbsup:

• Tolo
  • Saucier

• Today at 20:54:01
    • Johannesburg
  • more
Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 19:29:14
Great whistle - I would have really made that a feature of this piece  - a la Morricone / Spaghetti western. Imagine leaving the song for a momentary interlude with that wonderful whistle (and pre-delay reverb) - a church bell and some intense strings - then coming back in to the tune with the skip of the verse... I can hear it anyway....and see the video!

A lovely song - full of melancholy - but the mix needs some attention. Vocal needs some EQ lift  and presence - and a better balance between guitar and voice.  I think a harmony here and there would also lift the important lyrics.

Great voice too.
Pro Tools 2020.5
UAD Apollo Twin Duo
Furman AC210E
10.13 High Sierra
SSD Thunderbolt Audio
i9 7900 10 Core
64G Crucial DDR4

www.tonylowther.com

• MotterPaul
  • Patissier
  • Man o' World

• Encinitas CA
  • more
Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 22:13:07
this song is #6 on the rock charts at Soundclick. Congrats.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/charts.cfm?genreID=5

It has been there a couple of days.

• Neal
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• July 06, 2020, 16:53:59
  • more
Reply #14 on: June 20, 2020, 22:02:18
This is cool man.  Feels like it could fit into a Tarantino film. Haha. At one point, i was like "I hope he whistles" You didn't let me down. Nice work!

question
New Album "helloWorld" / Christmas Song "Cristmas Kiss"

Started by TrevorGilligan on Songs for review

2 Replies
Last post December 17, 2017, 16:58:04
by TrevorGilligan
smiley
Lance Houck - "Caterpillar" from the album "Let There Be Music"

Started by californiacapuchin on Songs for review

2 Replies
Last post January 02, 2016, 00:37:23
by californiacapuchin
xx
"link fixed" Christmas song competition entry of a friend of mine "link fixed"

Started by fischermans on Songs for review

9 Replies
Last post December 15, 2013, 17:32:12
by Dutchbeat
xx
"Liquid Gold" (Vocal)(Piano)(Performance)(Original)(AudioFixed)

Started by Day2Take1 on Songs for review

4 Replies
Last post July 28, 2016, 02:19:36
by eblossman
xx
Idea for a fun musical game ? "The Memory Lane Machine"

Started by MrBouzouki on The kitchen café

15 Replies
Last post August 16, 2017, 19:50:54
by Leonard Scaper