• Chef de Partie
  • Music is what feelings sound like

• Today at 07:11:10
    • Malta
  • more
Jukebox of my soul (poem-song)
on: November 30, 2018, 15:29:17
Hey kitcheners! :)

...It has been a while! ....After many months I finally got some time and inspiration back ... and a new poem-song came my way :)
It is quite a rough recording and unrefined vocal and basic/rough/inaccurate music accompaniment.... here goes:

Here's the link to the song:

(I put the lyrics in a quick youtube video just to experiment with an online software which I came about entitled 'adobe spark'.)

Let me know what you think! :) I am also open for collabs on this one  ::headphone:: if anyone happens to be interested in collaborating on the intrsumental.

Tc & have a nice week!
Rachel
Rachel  ::Rachel::
https://.com/rachel_debattista

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 13:58:53
  • more
Re: Jukebox of my soul (poem-song)
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 17:25:10
hi @Rachel_D , what great poem song again  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"the jukebox of my soul" is a nice hook, i think it would be great if the second time this line is sung (so at the end of the second chorus) an electric guitar solo al a @Mar T. would splash in on a high note after that line, and going into a rather long crazy bluesrock solo all over the place....

great song, awesome vocal  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
me, myself, and Pie

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 15:43:36
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 20:14:19
I really like the structure of this song.....how the lyrics build and build, all leading up to the delivery of that wonderful hook line, "To the jukebox of my soul"....and then they start again to do the same thing. You capture the listener completely like that.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• Today at 09:28:15
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 14:02:13
Fantastic hook line/lyric for the chorus @Rachel_D . Very cool melody and I really like your vocal layering, very sweet and contemporary.

That video is very good too, I have never seen that software package before. The way you have put it all together really adds something to the song.

A lovely piece of work!  :ok:
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 14:08:09
Beatiful voice and poetry.  You should now focus on the song itself. I can see some string arrangements and cool piano sounding to acommpany your craft. All in all great work!

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 11:46:58
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 15:40:51
Maybe unrefined, basic, rough and inaccurate are my middle names.
But as a rule I love music with a rough edge. Music that isn’t hugged to death.
So yes, I like it already much as is.
My suggestion would be not to doll it up too much, but what do I know?
Glad you’re back.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 18:04:53
Hey @Rachel_D  .... This is really nice.

The performance:
( I hope this makes sense)    : Your vocal delivery is really cool on this, probably the best I've heard from you. ( I like all of it of course ....) What I mean is that it has a disarming gentleness combined with an unapologetic style that's your own..... like hey this is my style ..... combined with a new maturity perhaps brought about with some life experience. It is cool and unique ... more so than ever.  :)  I like it when women sing it their own way.  :)  :yes:

The song: Great hook, modern sound,  "jukebox of my soul" ... so cool metaphorically speaking. To be "radio ready" I'd say voice upfront, piano and voice like it is but gradually add in the pads, strings, 808 kick,  then bring it home rocking a 12/8 groove a la Alicia Keys or Meghan Trainor.
That's how I hear it, anyway. Keep it modern IMO.
Good show!

-11 ::Note::
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Lane
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• December 16, 2018, 21:10:28
  • more
Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 18:40:23
Hi to you,
i`m always late to the party..I think i`m going to agree with Gus on this song. keep it natural, basic as you have it.
sounds good, and seems to capture the listener.

Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 14:57:12
Would you ever do a video where it is just you playing keys and singing to the camera?

• Rachel_D
  • Chef de Partie
  • Music is what feelings sound like

• Today at 07:11:10
    • Malta
  • more
Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 01:23:43
Thanks so much for listening! I really appreciate it! I loved reading your feedback, it’s so great to have songwriters’ ears listening :) – and it feels so great to be back here with all of you! :D

@Dutchbeat  – Thanks for listening and I’m really glad that you liked the hook! :D

@Leonard Scaper – Thank you so much! I’m glad that you liked the way the lyrics build up to the hook :) Thanks for listening so closely! :)

@MichaelA  – Thank you! :) It’s great to read that you find it sounding contemporary :) I’m happy that you liked it! The software is available for free online over here (if you’d like to take a look) : https://spark.adobe.com/

@alcapone_dudu  – Thanks for listening and for your feedback and suggestions :)

@LePlongeur  – Thanks for listening and for your insight… that’s an interesting description you used ‘music that isn’t hugged to death’ – I do get what you mean.

@Lane  – Thanks for listening – don’t worry – you were not late at all :) I’m glad that you liked it and it’s ‘natural’ edge :D

@Bill from November Sound  – Hey! Hope all is well! :) Thanks for your detailed feedback! It’s very encouraging to read that you’re hearing improvements in my vocal :) I’m very glad that you like it! Thanks for your suggestions on the music accompaniment… ps do you consider collaborating with me on this one?
… Re: video of me playing – to be honest it has crossed my mind a couple of times, but I have been a bit ‘camera-shy’ till now, but maybe I’ll try to challenge myself in the coming weeks and try filming a short video and see what happens! :) (perhaps have it as a new year’s resolution!)

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 03:03:56
    • Duiven
    • http://twitter.com/MartiMediaSC http://www.facebook.com/MartiMedia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEBmQkchurQ https://soundcloud.com/martimedia
  • more
Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 01:15:47
@Rachel_D !! How could it be I've missed this one! So nice to hear you with a new signature poem-song, and so happy to hear some inspiration came to you after such a busy time! I enjoyed listening to this gem a lot, and what a beautiful presentation!!
Thank you so much for sharing!
Cheers!
:mart:

Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 16:08:24
New to the site here so I'm late to comment on this.

Very well crafted poetry to this  tune! Could be further developed musically. Nice as is.

Technically I liked the basic mix.  Engineers will mostly remove inhale breath sounds . If not removed , they are generally at least lowered. Congrats on a really nice tune!

• Neal
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Karma Hunter

• Yesterday at 03:57:44
  • more
Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 06:58:21
Great vocals and lyrics. nice work @Rachel_D  Interesting concept. I dig it!

Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 13:07:57
I melted with this song so feminine and delicate.
It's great to read and hear you. You are a great poet. I follow you on Youtube!
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
My Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

smiley
I like You (Rough poem song)

Started by Rachel_D on Songs for review

5 Replies
Last post April 20, 2017, 22:42:05
by revivalchoir
xx
Away from it all (new rough poem-song)

Started by Rachel_D on Songs for review