• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Today at 15:59:47
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
Just a quick Lighthouse Keeper Project update
on: March 10, 2018, 16:30:30
Some of you might have heard some of this already. A slightly better static mix, no Vox lines yet. Hopefully I've got the Vocal VST backing better now.

In my minds eye the listener returns to the outside of the ominous bulk of the space lighthouse with the intro suggesting all is not well.
I do think the intro riff is slightly nervy or creepy. I also reprise the Lighthouse Keeper theme but it's broken into two halves, again suggesting things aren't well perhaps?
Then you hear the signature lighthouse signal overlaid with what I term an 'audio cascade' which acts as an way of getting back inside.
Then you hear A  VST Vox line before the repeating arpeggio pattern and synth intro. I do like the 'toppling over' effect of the arpeggio, I guess it's just down to being slightly off the beat.
When the Vox comes in again is where the first Vocals will start.

After this section it will get a bit less moody but I needed to set up a potentially despairing feel to the first half of this track.

Any feedback on if you get any of this vibe would be appreciated. I've already got some video ideas that might ram the point home but it's nice to get what people feel about the atmosphere just from the audio.

Oh yes, I'm having trouble getting a swirling sort of Fx on the intro so I'm thinking of doing it vocally and using a bit of doctoring to get the sounds I need. Easier to sing them then work out how to play them with a keyboard.

https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki/retrieval-wip-lighthouse-keeper-project-part-2
"Love and Life is all about connections"

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 17:30:05
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Just a quick Lighthouse Keeper Project update
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 18:18:10
This is really very good, MrB. I can't even begin to critique this kind of music so I just donned my Ultrasone Pro 900 headphones and listened with my eyes closed, letting your music take me to the lighthouse.

I'll definitely be following the progression of this excellent piece.

"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 01:16:10
@MrBouzouki

This is gorgeous, very atmospheric. I really want to get into making synth music, it seems the possibilities are literally endless.

I really like the part from 1:57 to about 2:17 with the chick singing and the little paino notes. You could actually make that longer, I wouldn't mind listening to that. Also when you go into the next part, it might flow better if you kinda of gradually ease into it with maybe some automation on that loud synth lead. Just a thought.

I kept waiting for the heavy guitars to start barking in, but that's just my musical tastes bleeding through haha. Really wondering about what the vocals will sound like. Very much enjoyed this, long nights.
~Rich
We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Today at 15:59:47
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 10:19:08
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 20:28:34 by MrBouzouki »
Cheers Len @Leonard Scaper , atmosphere is what I am looking for in these extended pieces, listeners need to soak in the vibe so thanks for soaking ;-)

Cheers Rich, @Bluedusksun, as a guitarist by trade, with synth stuff very much an addition, it's been really hard not to add guitar in so far.  ::e-guitar3:: ::e-guitar3:: ::e-guitar3::

I'm not sure if some might creep in but in some ways I didn't think it would fit texturally. The first part of the Lighthouse Keeper is more orchestra and synth too, but when guitar comes in it's a dominant part of that piece. To try and add a feel of continuity I reused-some of the sounds from the original piece but at the same time subtly twist the vibe to where I imagine he is emotionally. Interestingly, as this project takes shape, I'm thinking it's more an emotional journey, than a cosmic one. As is often the case with Prog like stuff, there will be a major kick up in tempo and energy, as he moves around the station and the story develops.
I have in my head a softer ending too as he enters the cryogenic pod reader for transfer back to civilisation via the equivalent of an old steamer in the slow lane. "The slow-boat to China" ???

Thanks for the comments Rich, all input is useful at this stage and your comments about volume balancing will be helpful. The vocals will probably have a blues tinge as I can sing in that way quite well, and will I think fit his melancholy. I've got the melody and half the lyric written, watch out for them popping up in the Lyrics section on here when I've worked on them a bit more.

For the thirds part, Space Dock, I have in my head him coming out of cryo, so a soft dreamy, almost ambient feel, followed by a more frenzied electronic pulse and feel, as he rehabilitates and goes out into the broiling mass of a bustling space dock. Frenzy is the term here, as everything will seem 'too much' and he will be overwhelmed by civilisation  and the pace of things. So my music style choices are being made by the story not my whims, I'm hoping people like @Dutchbeat and others will guide me through the electronic maze, to a weird hybrid of electronic beat and guitar-based rock. ;-) I'm not there yet though. ;-)

I must admit, it's a daunting prospect to put all this together, but as in life, the challenge is part of the fun and it's worth the atempt to tell a long musical story.  ::phone:: 

xx
Retrieval - Lighthouse Keeper Project Part 2

Started by MrBouzouki on Lyrics

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2018, 22:08:54
by MrBouzouki
xx
Retrieval - WIP thread (Lighthouse Keeper Project track 2)

Started by MrBouzouki on Songs for review

11 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 15:46:52
by MrBouzouki
xx
LIghthouse Keeper YouTube video

Started by MrBouzouki on Other Arts

3 Replies
Last post November 30, 2017, 20:45:15
by Vince
xx
Lighthouse Keeper (16.5 min Prog Rock monster)

Started by MrBouzouki on Songs for review

15 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 10:13:59
by MrBouzouki
xx
New Lighthouse Keeper concept art and busy busy busy

Started by MrBouzouki on Other Arts

4 Replies
Last post November 28, 2017, 22:47:13
by Bill from November Sound