• Vegetable Chef
  • Karma Hunter

• July 04, 2020, 14:51:17
    • Spain
  • more
Learning to uku :)
on: June 08, 2020, 16:18:33

Hi Everyone,
Sorry I haven't been in the kitchen for a while but when the COVID storm hit I had to put all my classes online and then work 12 hours a day for 7 days a week to keep them going - which was incredibly fun. Still, I got off lightly in respect to many others.
I have had a tiny window this week to do some music (another big project may be in the pipeline) so.....
I'm learning to uke!!
I'm learning my own songs and putting them online (and a few others of course)....I think the main criticism for this video would be learn to play the friging ukulele before going public but where is the fun in that.  :dance: :dance:
Any way I hope you are all well and I just wanted to say hi! :)

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 08:45:57
  • more
Re: Learning to uku :)
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 17:56:29
well done!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: @Susantaylor  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
me, myself, and Pie

• MotterPaul
  • Patissier
  • Man o' World

• Yesterday at 19:55:28
    • Encinitas CA
  • more
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 18:20:53
I'll bet you play more than the UKE, I can tell by your more complex chords and your songwriter skills. Well Done.
I work on Protools, was a pro recording engineer for 10 years in analog. I play compose, perform record and mix everything in my recordings.

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 08:17:05
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 13:00:44
I agree with motterpaul, there are many nice interactions between voice and uku!
Ukululu is also on the list of things Iíd like to do when I find the time.
I love your music and this careful beginning is no exception.
Next one please!
Kind olť, Gus

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 16:11:16
Nice work @Susantaylor  !

Sincerely enjoying your youtube channel! I like  the "I'll Paint You a Rainbow" song as well.  :)   

btw - the Nady and Roman  Ö just delete and block them  Ö. they're bots. They're programmed by someone who knows how to get past the YT spam filter, though. Like if your video has zero views and zero thumbs up but they instantly put a comment like " let's be friends".  :bonk:  Trust me. I have to squash them all the time.  >:(   

You want to play the Ukulooloo eh @LePlongeur  ???   ;D    :blackgrin:     
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 19:02:28
@Susantaylor I've to agree with @Bill from November Sound and @LePlongeur that you appear to use a playing style on the uke that reminds me of a guitar player. But that is just fine. I use bass techniques on the guitar and borrow from other instruments as well. No instrument should have a fixed playing style for it, and monocultures wither away, eventually. Judging from what you've done there, your approach to learn to play the instrument works wonderfully. 
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

• MotterPaul
  • Patissier
  • Man o' World

• Encinitas CA
  • more
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 19:08:51
well, a UKE is essentially tuned the same as a guitar, except the topmost string is an octave higher.  Of course, the chords are transposed up a fourth (A G on guitar is a C on UKE). But the chords look the same as a guitar. There are a lot of UKE players in California, many. It's harder for me to transpose than it is to play. (something about the 4th makes me dyslexic)

• Susantaylor
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Karma Hunter

• Spain
  • more
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 19:15:01
Thank you all for the lovely comments, and for taking the time to listen.

Bill - I keep deleting and reporting them and they keep coming back. It's pretty sad that someone actually dedicates their time to spamming people isn't it? They should learn the Ukulele or something.  :dance:

Gus - I really recommend it! All my family are guitar players - I always struggled with my stubby fingers but the ukulele I find is much easier, it's not so bulky and it's easier to hold. If you do take it up - check out Rock Class 101 - they teach you to play all the cool stuff  ;D

Paul - My main instrument is the piano (The albums I have done prior to now have been done through electronic piano/keyboards). I have played a little guitar and bass, some percussion, plus I was in a choir during my teens from the age of ten, so I've been able to read music from a young age (although I'm out of practice now), and I can play by ear. I'm very lucky to have been raised in a musical environment  ;D ;D

Dutchbeat - Thanks just for always listening to my music :)

Pleudoniem - Thank you... I rarely conform.  ;)  I only picked up a Ukulele in February (and couldn't play much for 12 weeks as I had to put all my classes on line). I haven't really been playing long enough to play ∑ "the right way" but if it sounds OK I'm happy enough! :) I'm probably not going to be able to quit my day job for a while yet  :lol: but it's all good fun.

• MotterPaul
  • Patissier
  • Man o' World

• Encinitas CA
  • more
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 20:07:49
I would say you are playing the "right way" because you are using four-string chords (without open strings) which are very versatile and movable. That's what guitar players mostly do.

Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 23:12:42
Bill - I keep deleting and reporting them and they keep coming back. It's pretty sad that someone actually dedicates their time to spamming people isn't it? They should learn the Ukulele or something.  :dance:

Agreed. You know @Susantaylor  .... if you check your spam in your YouTube studio there may  actually be legit fans that got put in there. Meanwhile somebody programs these bots that can escape the spam filters.
Think you have a only few views and this robot wants to be your friend? I was the first thumb up you got!

I always subscribe, comment and thumb up for musicians I know and like.
What's the worst that can happen? Susan Taylor makes a new video and I get a notification.  :)  :yes:

My favorite was the bot spammers on SoundCloud (that are on a rampage now a days) .... the second I put up a song I had 7 likes and not a single play!
Now THAT is a good song! People/bots like it without even listening.  :lol:

Btw- I don't know anything about ukuleles ..... but Melissa just bought a PURPLE ONE! Yup, a purple ukulele.

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 07:20:30
Now if that isnít unconditional love @Bill from November Sound , I donít know what is!!!

Stubby fingers @Susantaylor ?
I see manos agraciadas.
I hear lovely music.
And I listened again.
And why not. Not every song has to have breathtaking backing to make a lovely song. You have a keen eye/ear for lovely songs. I say make the most of it and the most of your uke.

In Norwegian, uke means week. So now you know how long it takes to get it perfect.
Smiley!
Kind regards, Gus

• Susantaylor
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Karma Hunter

• Spain
  • more
Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 19:47:57
Hi Bill,
I checked my spam filters and you guys really are my only support group  ;D That and as you say over zealous robots  :lol: (we always have the robots)

Hi Gus,
Thank you, I do appreciate your kind words. My mother has long slender fingers and my father was a big guy 6'2" he had big hands and chubby digits. I got the small hands and chubby digits.  :lol:  But I do appreciate your kindness.  :loveit: I was always the "big boned" child, my sisters and brother were super skinny and I was "a unit" but being stocky came in useful in roller-hockey in my teens  :blackgrin:

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 09:11:24
I wasn't trying to make a pass at you @Susantaylor (if this is the right choice of words). I see you move your hand gracefully and that's what counts. I've seen people with bricklayers' hands and playing their instruments very nicely. On Hawaii where the uke is really an instrument with standing, slender people and slender fingers are not the rule.
So I wouldn't doubt myself if I were you.
Kind regards, Gus

• Susantaylor
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Karma Hunter

• Spain
  • more
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 09:52:53
I wasn't trying to make a pass at you @Susantaylor (if this is the right choice of words). I see you move your hand gracefully and that's what counts. I've seen people with bricklayers' hands and playing their instruments very nicely. On Hawaii where the uke is really an instrument with standing, slender people and slender fingers are not the rule.
So I wouldn't doubt myself if I were you.
Kind regards, Gus

My dear Gus, I didn't think that for a moment :) I am just very genuinely grateful that you support my music. I think being a musician is one of the most challenging of the arts as we express ourselves in the way a painter does with a canvas but we have to push ourselves into the public eye like an actor on a stage but we cannot hide behind a script. Our work is our own so any criticism we face we shoulder alone and our souls are naked to the world to either give negative or positive energy.
I often speak about myself in jest - I have a very bizarre sense of humour.
You have always been so supportive of my work so I want you to know I appreciate it :)

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 12:55:22
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 13:10:46 by LePlongeur »
Ahhh, I am grateful for this reply.
If you do just what you do and I donít make an ass of myself, weíll be OK.

And self mocking is nice. I do that a lot. If we donít laugh about ourselves, somebody else will.
And I think you misspelled/separated overdue on purpose? Thatís a nice find! @Susantaylor

Kind regards, Gus

xx
Deconstruction as a learning exercise ?

Started by MrBouzouki on Songwriting Ingredients

13 Replies
Last post August 10, 2017, 03:48:30
by Vince
xx
Learning To Work Through The Pain @vince_stewart & @Bay Blues

Started by BayBlues on Songs for review

3 Replies
Last post January 05, 2017, 23:07:07