and value them as lover and as friend

Refrain/chorus
You said married, I said so what?
if I could choose I'd say come what may
divorce? I didn't use that word
everyday's liberation day

Words Feb 1st, 2018
Music March 2nd, 2018

There's a musical quote in this song. As it is quite often in my songs.
Gene Pitney had the first top 40 hit for the young and aspiring writers duo Jager and Richard ever. In Pitney's wonderful arrangement he did a small 'My only girl' choir.
I did my best to make the bass sound like Greg Ridley's. There you go Greg, as long as someone mentions your name you're not forgotten.

And of course, like Cassius Clay, I'm a modest guy.
This is of course the winning entry. No way of telling what goes on in the chorus. But liberation day it is.
Is she married?
Is he married?
Are they both married? To each other? To someone else?
Are they both not married and is she slightly nuts? Yes, why not.
If I were gigging, I would let the public decide. And have 4 songs reading to play, according to the wishes of the public...
You say it? I play it!!!

Anyway, you listen to my way of writing. There are some mistakes there and I accept them with a smile. I don't invest time in taking care of mistakes, I write a new song instead.
Enjoy!
Kind regards, Gus

edit: Typo

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 17:37:31
    • Terra Firma
  • more
It's a good one, Gus. I was anxiously awaiting your entry to hear how your music style fits in with the @LePlongeur that we have all come to know and love....and I have not been disappointed in the slightest.

I love how you have taken us into the depths of a very human dynamic and spun a tale of liberation. And I definitely agree about leaving little mistakes as a maker's mark of reality in our songs.

And of course, like Cassius Clay, I'm a modest guy.

There is no question that this is the best song in the competition because.....you are the greatest!  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

8)

"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 19:09:19
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Thank you, @Leonard Scaper for your reaction.
I was told that I walk a very fine line with my humor and that I should take care. As with most worries, 80% is unnecessary. You and I have a lot in common with Cassius. And we’re proud of it.

Of course it’s very nice and friendly that we encourage our opponents, but when all is said and done it’s still a contest. Not a kindergarten.

Thank you for your time! And bonne chance with your entry.
Kind regards, Gus

Oh @LePlongeur such questionable subject matter delivered with innocence a la "Spanish Harlem" , or "Blue Bayou"..... You'e a wild man! A wild man, I say!  :D :D
This is different, very different indeed. Artistic, Quirky, Creative. Good show!  :)
11 ::Note::

Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Hi @Le Plongeur . I never heard of picosong,com before. I glad after all the waiting to finally hear a song from you and I must say I was not disappointed.

Vince

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Oh @LePlongeur such questionable subject matter delivered with innocence a la "Spanish Harlem" , or "Blue Bayou"..... You'e a wild man! A wild man, I say!  :D :D
This is different, very different indeed. Artistic, Quirky, Creative. Good show!  :)
11 ::Note::

Thank you @Bill from November Sound, I am really flattered.
I still have the mono LP with Harlem Nocturn an I’ve always liked song that very much. An instrumental that tells me to either grab my wife and be out of there in 10seconds or grab everything young and willing and lose all.

The Spanish Harlem type of thing never occurred to me and I think it’s the biggest compliment I ever got.
Thank you very very much.
And of course to you, lots of luck with your entry.
Kind regards, Gus

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Hi @Le Plongeur . I never heard of picosong,com before. I glad after all the waiting to finally hear a song from you and I must say I was not disappointed.

Vince

@Vince
Picosong is a sort of temporary hide out. I was among the first users of Dropbox. Untill they cancelled all the older accounts without prior notice. Photobucket is doing the same right now.
I don’t feel at home with the giants like SoundCloud with their fickle playlist.

Picosong is very small scale, I get a tiny url for publication and a large one for in case I want to change what I entered, no photos, and they just play the one song. I like this no frills approach.

The waiting is caused by my extensive traveling. When I travel I can’t record and there’s no reason other than that. The first two thirds of every year my contribution will have a large stop and go character.

When I travel I write choruses or refrains mostly.
When I come back I write lyrics and write songs. And I write a song each day i’m at home.
Untill now all Dutch songs. It is still a mystery to me if writing in English is going to be a success or not.
But that will become clear after some time I figure.

Thank you for listening and I wish you lots of luck with your entry.
Kind regards, Gus

Hi Gus,
nice panning going on here.
I guess a real Gus here.
I did take a big gulp :-)
This is of course the winning entry.
:-)
XXXChris
OUR NEW CD BLUE LINE OUT NOW :
https://blueattitude.hearnow.com/

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Hi Gus,
nice panning going on here.
I guess a real Gus here.
I did take a big gulp :-)
This is of course the winning entry.
:-)
XXXChris

Hi @Chris Spruit
Like it a lot that you've listened. Thanks!
And it remains to be seen if this will be the winning entry. Because I still hope that you'll be joining us.
The Happy Blues exists! And you are the one to teach us.

Please ask Mar T (in 'Competitions') to add you to the list of contestants.....
Please, pretty pretty please?
Kind regards, Gus

How wonderfully trippy @LePlongeur - kinda like I expected you would be - trippy that is but that's such a wide net, what kind of trippy was still in question..

So this is so very interesting from lyrics to instrumentation to delivery... Wonderful stuff, really... very different and creative...

So glad to finally hear you! Good luck in the competition... Really enjoyed listening to your creation.

BTW Soundcloud is not so bad :)!

K

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
How wonderfully trippy @LePlongeur - kinda like I expected you would be - trippy that is but that's such a wide net, what kind of trippy was still in question..

So this is so very interesting from lyrics to instrumentation to delivery... Wonderful stuff, really... very different and creative...

So glad to finally hear you! Good luck in the competition... Really enjoyed listening to your creation.

BTW Soundcloud is not so bad :)!

K

No, of course you are right, SoundCloud is not bad @Zedd. But the sheer scale sort of overwhelms me. I only look for a relatively small exposure of my music since, as a songwriter, I have a great future behind me.

And I am really OK with that. I have so much more fun since I left ambition behind me.

Trippy is what I hear more often. And I like that. Specially the way that combines with the primary subjects of my lyrics. It's not an objective though. What I aim for is the simplicity of the girl groups for instance. Talking 'bout leaving ambition behind me.
Thank you very much for listening.
Kind regards, Gus

WOW! @LePlongeur  :o So nice to finally hear a song from you, and what a great song....all 5:47 mins of it  ::thumb:: Love the guitars and trippy vibe going on in this track, and I absolutely love the lyrics  ::thumb:: You wrote them with such a delicate balance between seriousness and humour  ::Note::
What's not to like abut your entry! Good luck in the comp  ::Suzy::

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 17:20:26 by LePlongeur »
Thank you so much for your time and kind words.
I think that we should start a mutual fan club or some such thing.
Kind regards, Gus

@CrystalSuzy

super song - definitely great chance of winning the current challenge! Always like songs with the word Clairvoyant in it. Fine build-up in the chords. Cool Velvet underground-ish guitars.
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
super song - definitely great chance of winning the current challenge! Always like songs with the word Clairvoyant in it. Fine build-up in the chords. Cool Velvet underground-ish guitars.

I like it very very much that you took the time to listen to my entry. @oorlab
It really means a lot to me.
Dialect rock is usually associated with the eastern or northern part our our country. All very fine, but there used to be an Amsterdam dialect too. And it's gradually petering out, I'm afraid.
This sentense is straight from that dialect: 'k Ben klèrvòjunt, 'k ga je kesen!

Because I'm just beginning to learn to write lyrics in English again, I seek support in things I've written in Dutch. As with this line.
I wish you a lot of succes with your entry.
I feel a little bit humbled by the quality on offer here.
Thank you very much for your time.
Kind regards, Gus

xx
Is anyone following the Eurovision Song Contest 2016?

Started by Mar T. on The kitchen café

88 Replies
Last post May 15, 2016, 21:02:50
by Zedd
xx
Write an extremely negative song contest?

Started by monty_lameer on Challenges

8 Replies
Last post April 06, 2018, 22:33:19
by Bill from November Sound
xx
winner of german eurovicion song contest???? what happened?

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen café

2 Replies
Last post March 10, 2015, 21:00:23
by Dutchbeat
xx
Liquid Courage- Beatles Contest Song Entry

Started by denovo on Songs for review

8 Replies
Last post May 04, 2017, 19:43:49
by Dara
xx
Contest song End of My Road Blues - Mixed for DutchBeat