• Started by LePlongeur
  • MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• August 31, 2019, 23:25:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Hello, we've found a Dutch Jarvis from Pulp of our own! Very quirky, endearing and charming. Entertaining lyrics and fab guitar hooks.

It was a bit long I feel - but then this saved me from playing it twice, which I would have done! Clever that. ;D Good job, and very 'liberating'!   ::thumb::
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 11:12:07
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Jarvis from Pulp! Wow, didn't see that one coming!
And I liked Pulp a lot.
What a compliment! Thank you.

And yes, the running time is something I have to control. Slower songs (as 95% of my songs are) take a somewhat longer time to 'tell'. And that is what I essentially am, a storyteller.
There are no long spun solo thingys in it.
But I'll keep it in mind.
Thanks for listening.
Kind regards, Gus

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• January 27, 2020, 21:50:33
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
I like the almost psychedelic swirl of the hook in the opening @LePlongeur, and how you reuse it during the song. No point wasting a good hook. ;-)
The hi-hat in my left ear (I assume it's a hi-hat) adds a nice pulse to the music. I like how the beat gets under your skin as the song progresses.
I could imagine Syd Barrett, maybe Lou Reed or even Daevid Allen (Gong) writing something like this.

A nice 'alternative' , and I mean that in a good way, addition to a very strong field for the competition. It's going to be a hard job to choose between the contenders.

The beauty is though is that everybody has already won. The artists in creating their music and the listeners in enjoy how people have stretched themselves to fit the constraints.

Good Job @LePlongeur

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::
"Love and Life is all about connections"

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
The funny thing is, @MrBouzouki, if you would have asked me about my influences I would never have mentioned Syd Barrett. Or Lou Reed.
Like the Ramones, I would have mentioned The Brill Building, and the girl groups. With another result I might add.

Plus from England of course Stevie Marriott, Kiki Dee and Dusty Springfield, to name a few.
But eversince I started publishing my songs, the Syd and Lou names pop up regularly, so I think that the infuence is there.

What you hear in both ears is finger drumming. In the city, 7 houses in a row, real drumkits are not exactly a pre for the social fabric.

This is absolutely the first time ever I entered into a competion. I going to read the rules about how I am supposed to vote, because at this moment there's now way of knowing how or what I'm going to do. By entering I've found out that selecting someone else's music is far more difficult than writing my own entry.

Thank you for your kind words. And for your time.
Kind regards, Gus

Nice work Gus, I love the guitar melody and the subtle swagger of the vocals! a pleasing, coherent, well-structured piece- wasn't expecting that!

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 11:37:46 by LePlongeur »
Thank you @DanJames for your comment.
The swagger, as you so subtly say, is due to overuse and age. You loose higher notes and control over the lower ones. Overdubbing is sort of masking that, but not enough. I know.
You weren't exepcting a structured piece? May I ask what you were expecting then?

You must know that I'm not angered or anything. Just curious!
Thanks for your time and comment.
Kind Regards, Gus

Being familiar with your free-flowing, wackily abstract posts I just thought your music might follow a similar pattern. Don’t worry, it was a compliment!

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Ahhhh...., yes I see.
I wasn’t worried or anything.
Google translate has no solution for the learning disability I have.
Difficult at school, but definitely ok when I want to write lyrics.
Anyhow, I take it as a hint to be more compact and more concrete. Though I can’t make promises.
Thanks!
Kind regards, Gus

"I only look for a relatively small exposure of my music since, as a songwriter, I have a great future behind me.

And I am really OK with that. I have so much more fun since I left ambition behind me.
"

I tried to quote the above, but it got all messed up. The comment made me laugh, kinda of how I feel about the whole shabang. Would you believe that I had no idea what Liberation day was, haha. You foreigners and your made up holidays. :p

Anyway I listened a couple of times, really like the overall feel of the song. The levels of everything are perfect in this. Really liked the effect on the guitars too, do you mind if I ask what they were. I'm still getting my feet wet in the whole electric aspect of guitar (which means I don't know shit).

I think you did an admirable job singing and writing in english (Especially if your Dutch). The background vocals were a little off, but it was nothing that took away from the song.

You should come and join us soundcloud folks (drink the kool-aid man), trust me it tends to be echo chamber mostly unless you play the repost game (which still confuses the hell out of me). I realized I wrote a lot in (parentheses) it seemed to be the thing to do at the time. Anyway great entry Gus, nice to hear something for you. Long nights
~Rich

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;—
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
@Bluedusksun
If you're interested in my way of writing/recording, please read this:

Gear used:
- Gatt large membrane condensator mic
- Boss ME20 looping station voor mic
- Art tube pre amp for guitar
- Ibanez SAS32EX
- EH Soul Food pedal for guitar: High 2 o'clock/gain closed + for lead guitars gain 10 o'clock
- VOX Stomplab GII
- Eastwood Hi Flyer bas 'warm' pick up
- Fingerdrum app: Rhythm Pad
- Shaker
- BOSS BR1200 harddisk recorder

Track 1: Lead voice, dubbed
Track 2: My only girl choir 1, with use of looping station
Track 3: Finger drums: cybles and tom tom
Track 4: Lead guitar panned right
Track 5: Lead guitar panned left + My only girl Choir 2 (looping staion only)
Track 6: Left rhythm guitar
Track 7: Right rhythm guitar
Track 8: bass guitar
Track 9/10: finger drums bass drum and snare + hihat

Track 11 and 12 were used to record the mix after recording the individual tracks.
All tracks were done in one take while writing the song.
That's why there are 'some' things that could be better.

My rhythm guitars are done without gain or distortion, very clean.
The lead guitar (guitars in this case) do the melodics that were used when violinists could be found on every streetcorner and would cost next to nothing to hire for orchestration. I never play solos.

This is my way of writing. All parts are 'build' as I go along and the parts/the song are only played once. And yes, writing in English is something I'll have to learn. Like all things; it isn't easy in the beginning.

I'll seriously consider SC. And I'll look around first.

Thanks for your time and your kind remarks.
Kind regards, Gus

@LePlongeur nice slice of pyschedelic pop there , cool and different! nice guitar work, intriguing vocals! wish i could produce sumit like this!
fly away and find my peace of mind...
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Who would have thought that almost a Month after posting, there are still people listening.
And not just anyone.
Must be one of the advantages of the contest.

Whenever Steve Marriott was signing an LP for somebody (and he would sign anything, anything at all), that person often said to him: ‘I like your music’. To that Steve’s reply always was: ‘I like your taste’. Or taist maybe better.

So what’s good enough for Steve, is good enough for me: I like how you like my music.
Thanks for taking the time to listen.
And, since it’s the first time ever it do a challenge, I’m really curious about the outcome.
I wish you lots of luck too @man of simple pleasures.
Kind regards, Gus

xx
Is anyone following the Eurovision Song Contest 2016?

Started by Mar T. on The kitchen café

88 Replies
Last post May 15, 2016, 21:02:50
by Zedd
xx
Write an extremely negative song contest?

Started by monty_lameer on Challenges

8 Replies
Last post April 06, 2018, 22:33:19
by Bill from November Sound
xx
Liquid Courage- Beatles Contest Song Entry

Started by denovo on Songs for review

8 Replies
Last post May 04, 2017, 19:43:49
by Dara
xx
winner of german eurovicion song contest???? what happened?

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen café

2 Replies
Last post March 10, 2015, 21:00:23
by Dutchbeat
xx
Contest song End of My Road Blues - Mixed for DutchBeat

Started by Vince on Songs for review

30 Replies
Last post January 10, 2018, 21:07:39
by Vince