• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 22:31:51
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Like A Skin
on: January 26, 2019, 23:10:35
This one came quickly and was done quickly as well. I'm not going to grind on it....here it is. It's a pretty simple production. Any mix comments will be welcomed.

I'm sending this one out to all of you who have had one of those long nights at some point......staying up to work things out with your partner,  ;)

Like A Skin
https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=13834684

Who has the answer
And who's just playing games
Let's find out tonight
A fist full of sand
And tail lights on a train

So let's light this candle
And we'll stare down the flame
We don't have to fight
One more chance
For us both to take the blame

CHORUS
I'll tear down my wall
And you can wear me like a skin
No one has to fall
Morning will call
And no one needs to win

INSTRUMENTAL

BRIDGE
Take my hand
And then you'll understand
That this is not the end

We've just had too much to handle
And that's been such a shame
But now we've got this night
Let's burn down this candle
And get back from where we came

CHORUS
Tear down your wall
And I'll wear you like a skin
No one has to fall
Morning will call
And no one needs to win

We'll tear down these walls
And we'll wear each other's skin

"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 23:12:00
  • more
Re: Like A Skin
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 23:26:12
wow...
that sounds pretty honest @Leonard Scaper
and to be honest...i lked it a lot, recognized a lot...well, bits  ::) ::) ::) and fragments  :P :-[
of it  ;D ;D ;D
lovely
and heavy  :P

oh, and...several great hooks in this....for a more EDM like mix  :shinyteeth: :shinyteeth: :shinyteeth:

::headphone:: ::headphone:: ::headphone::
me, myself, and Pie

• Marcus Nalgaber

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 01:16:32
I like that tranquility of this music
I like that voice like a little whispered
I think you have a special way of making very good songs
Congratulations  ::thumb::

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 10:29:49
@Dutchbeat ........chuckling at EDM. You could make a dance hit out of just about anything I think. Thanks for listening.

@Marcus Nalgaber .........thank you for that appreciation of my style.

I did a quick remix this morning to search out all those guitar noises in the quiet spots. I know I tend to leave a lot of space in my music but there is even more than usual in this one. It's hard to play these old guitars quietly......they get to creaking and such under these old hands.. One of the instruments in this song is 86 years old.

Once again, I'm keeping this one in front of so if anybody has anything.........  :)

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Yesterday at 20:23:12
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 10:34:08
I know you're  not going to grind on this @Leonard Scaper but I wonder if this track would have been better with just simple finger-style acoustic, stripped back so to speak ? Maybe a tad slower too with more spaces for the lyrics to just sit in ?

I like the music arrangement as usual and the lyrics are fantastic but I'm not sure if there is too much going on here for a song like this ?

So an unplugged version would get my vote.

Hey, I like to keep pushing you to try different things ;-)

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::
"Love and Life is all about connections"

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 13:49:51
I definitely appreciate that perspective @MrBouzouki .....that is, of course, how this song started.

I just did a quick unplugged mix with just a pretty new Martin 000 and the old Kalamazoo strung Nashville style. Here are both mixes:

Like a Skin
https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=13834684

Like A Skin ( Unplugged)
https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=13834901

8)

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 09:28:57
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 02:39:27
Ah!! I thought I was the only nutcase with Nashville tuning.  And I must say I like the tuning better than the statement/pamphlet. But thatís another discussion, I guess.

Your thumbprint/fingerprint of stop and go, as itís called in the dance scene is very modern and I happen to think you didnít actually include the pauses to increase the danceability. @Leonard Scaper .
So, if I may be Dutch/rude enough to ask you not to overdo it, I would. Ask you that is.

But even if you go on and ignore my ideas about this, I will be a fan of your music. And a great fan too.
Kind regards, Gus

• monty_lameer
  • Patissier
  • Undomesticated Goddess

• August 19, 2019, 15:48:03
    • Surfers Paradise, Australia
    • http://twitter.com/hairburger www.soundcloud.com/monty-la-meer
  • more
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 08:33:44
I LOVE this! It brings me back to many years ago of various very late nights doing the round & round in circles argument dance with a partner.

The feel of this song comforts me somehow though, and almost seems to shine a softly golden hue over those memories.
"But never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm." - Stevie Nicks

Followed by Lady Gaga on Twitter since 2009! ❤

Some of Monty's songs:
www.soundcloud.com/monty-la-meer

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Yesterday at 20:23:12
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 11:38:22
I'm liking that unplugged version @Leonard Scaper.  The interplay between the two guitar tones works nicely. In fact the two tones work so well together I would encourage you to do more material like this without any other distractions as it lets you focus on the lyrics. Something magical happens at 3:34 when both chords are played together. I'd be interested to know what you are doing at that precise point as it's almost a blossoming of sound.

Maybe a more arpeggiated pattern from the guitar panned right (Kalamazoo ?) as opposed to full chord strums would fill some of the gaps a bit.
Otherwise maybe some of the gaps are slightly too large. I like how the guitars ring into the space though. Ummmmm am I asking you to grind on this Lenny ? ... lol

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 12:33:07
I happen to think you didnít actually include the pauses to increase the danceability.

I have spent time pondering my tendency toward the pause @LePlongeur .  I compose through a stream of consciousness kind of process, if it could be called a process at all.  ;)

I think we all have an internal rhythm to which we move through life. Perhaps we develop this rhythm unconsciously as we grow and I have realized that when I sit down to play guitar these days my internal rhythm percolates to the surface. That internal rhythm feels like waves breaking on the shore......they roll in in a somewhat sporadic fashion that reflects the complex movements of our planet and there are spaces left between them. I spend a great deal of time these days in those spaces between the waves and I guess my music reflects that.

@monty_lameer .....I am really pleased that this song brought you back like that. I like that image of memories cast in a golden hue.

I like that unplugged version as well @MrBouzouki but from a production standpoint I realized that I had more to say. I needed the somewhat strident voice of that electric guitar to say some of that and then I needed the soft and wide strings and synth voices as an envelope to wrap up the feelings. The piano was an afterthought for tonal reinforcement.

I'm glad you heard that one spot as well......I can only say that it happened. Sometimes it does.  ;)

I'm not going to grind on this one. It is what it is now I think and I'll take what I learn from how folks hear it on to the next tune.  :) :) :)

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 09:28:57
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 14:30:31
O yes, I see, stream of consciousness. My fault entirely and I really regret having said something about it.
In certain aspects of music making, we have more in common than I originally thought. With Ďsomeí differences in outcome. And vocabulary, since we call it automatic writing over here.

I should have been more alert to the details. Your stream will lead you to other pauses when the timeís right.

I hope you are not annoyed, @Leonard Scaper .
Kind regards, Gus

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 19:50:39
@LePlongeur ....no way I'll EVER be annoyed at a well postured critical comment like that, Gus. I have a great deal of respect for your musical perspective and I look forward to hearing how my songs strike those well seasoned ears of yours.  :)

8)

• Rewboat
  • Patissier
  • a song is a time and place you visit

• April 19, 2019, 03:19:11
    • www.soundcloud.com/andrew-frankel
  • more
Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 20:50:03
Your production is insane. It's one thing to get clean guitar, but the way you've balanced everything does a great job of placing your listener exactly where they need to be to hear your words. Cohesive in how it all fits together, with the way you sing. That's important.

I'd critique the lyrics and say you could be more specific toward the feeling you are trying to capture while also being less literal in the verses, but then again, I'm a pretentious jerk who revels in being obscure. Great work.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 21:20:11
@Rewboat ....that is high praise from someone who's work I really like.

I did try to set up the feeling between the two in the first verse, btw.....

A fist full of sand
And tail lights on a train

One of them has nothing substantial to give and the other is already gone. Now THAT, my friend is obscure.  ;)

Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 04:00:36
@Leonard Scaper  Both versions carry the feeling of honesty and intimacy which are so much a part of your style.
I`d probably give the nod to the plugged version - I agree the guitar there adds some intensity to the intro.
The lyrics are very good -vs 1&2 and the chorus up there with the best I`ve heard of yours.
For me  - and this is a bit nitpicky; you sound less convincing in vs3, even though its making the song more positive... could be that word "just" . As you can tell, I listened attentively... which means you succeeded!

Robert

xx
Skin (demo)

Started by tuff bransch on Songs for review

24 Replies
Last post February 07, 2018, 22:57:54
by tuff bransch