• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• April 18, 2019, 13:53:10
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Like A Skin
Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 10:36:01
Very cool how you picked that up @robertkc . when I sang that last verse for the keeper take I started the lyrics earlier than in rehearsal and threw the word "just" in there. I was feeling a need to fill more space in that transition from the bridge. On playback it did stick out but I decided to leave it as a kind of a flaw, if you will. I like hearing moments in songs that sound a little spontaneous like that......kind of keeps things human.

I seriously appreciate that you listened closely enough to find that spot.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 18:46:17
You have a gift Leonard for churning out these magnificent 1+1 guitar songs.  I guess I would use the word transparent. Sounds like a man, a guitar and his thoughts all coming right out there in a great way. Like a story teller. I loved every bit of this and I can relate to the circumstances too. Thankfully not often.

The mix itself seemed just a tad bright in the mids to me. Almost cuts too much for me. I might take just the slightest bit off of things in the 1.5-3K range. If you have some kind of dynamic EQ maybe that could trim it based on the levels or I might simply take a few DB off using a tight Q where the mids bite. In the old days everything made at home was all muddy. Fast forward to 2019 and  we have the potential for the opposite to happen.
That's one heck of a setup you have there...the Martin and whatever mic/preamp you use.

Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 18:46:47
Well, I'm here with a song that you've done quickly and with lyrics that apparently you do not want to give importance ...
 I think the song is well mixed and the introduction guitar, as well as the others, sound good too, creating the soft ambiance that surrounds it.
It is an intimate song, quiet, deep, reflective, a portrait of those long nights that open or close doors ...

I liked a lot
"We'll tear down these walls
And we'll wear each other's skin"

As always good sound and good work effortlessly, it seems to be ... hahaha
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
My Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow
My Vimeo Songs of Thought channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moraamarolaloba
My Vimeo Downtempo channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moramarolalobadowntempo

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 20:44:00
Hey @Mora Amaro La Loba .....yes this one did come quickly. I'm glad you like it.

I see that you have a new one as well. You and I seem to be in a similar rhythm with our production. I'll check yours out when I get back to the studio tonight and I look forward to that experience.

Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 23:18:23
@Leonard Scaper I just LOVED this!!!!

What a great theme - so universal and relatable... Not that I've ever experience it of course  ::) ::) :o ... ;)

I often say this but I think this might be my favourite of yours.. You must be getting better or something!!!!!

Stunning and quite fabulous... Lyrics are absolutely the star for me.. Just loved them..

K

Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 01:50:43
This "wear each others skin" . thing is kind of odd    :o

But I know you don't mean it in a horror movie kind of way.  :no:

The rhyming scheme is wicked cool. Even more cool when you sing it!
Nice song! Good show! that's all I got right now. (I'm the worst reviewer around these parts I think)
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 10:15:10
@Zedd ......my songwriting and production has definitely improved over the last year or so. That's because I am able to get insight and support from you and so many other fellow songwriters here at The Kitchen. After years of doing this I have felt myself turn a corner since I pulled up this Kitchen chair.

Thank you for your kind words and support. Glad you like this one.

@Bill from November Sound .........It's funny how that "wear each other's skin" thing came. I had the music to this song roughed in and was waiting for some sort of a vocal hook to show me where this song was going. I kept singing "where.......blah, blah..." as a question thing but I knew I had used that too often. Suddenly "wear you like a skin" popped into my head.

My first thought was......you can't be saying that. Then I let it sink in and realized that it could have another deeper and more enigmatic meaning.

Thanks for checking this one out. I know you mostly come by to listen to songs....that's what makes your actual reviews special.  ;)

Reply #22 on: February 03, 2019, 10:21:42
@Leonard Scaper

I love the Guitar work, so spot on and brilliant placed.

Honest words, honest song, great mix and not one note too much or missing.

That is a real Lscaper and touching my soul.

Chris
OUR NEW CD BLUE LINE OUT NOW :
https://blueattitude.hearnow.com/

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #23 on: February 03, 2019, 12:50:21
Thank you so much for that @Chris Spruit . Making a (young) old guy smile.

:) :) :)

Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 14:39:04
I was attempting to help @Leonard Scraper, I hope I didn't rub you the wrong way. I really liked this one. As you know everything is usually subjective and we all have our opinions  ;D

• Jambrains
  • Chef de Partie
  • You ain't seen nothing yet..

• April 18, 2019, 22:18:42
  • more
Reply #25 on: February 04, 2019, 20:49:39
Alright,  this is a great song, the vibe set at the start is fantastic. However, to me it can't carry the song alone all the way. I'd say it's crying out for for a nice build up and if you cut out some of the pauses in the chorus you'd have yourself a killer chorus. Just my very personal opinion of course. Great song in any case (but with even more potential)
Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart
My land's only borders lie around my heart

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #26 on: February 04, 2019, 21:43:30
I was attempting to help @Leonard Scraper, I hope I didn't rub you the wrong way. I really liked this one. As you know everything is usually subjective and we all have our opinions  ;D

Wow @Timothy Smith ....I totally missed your comment. I sincerely apologize for that. That never happens. I absolutely appreciate hearing your take on the mix....comments like yours are what I thrive on. You're right.....I have spent the last dozen years or so trying to get a mud free mix. I have wondered if I have slowly drifted the other way. I'll pull that mix back up tonight take a look at the EQ moves I made. I usually work my cuts at around 200 -440 Hz and again at around 1.5KHz.

This whole thing is still an ongoing learning experience for me.....I think it always will be.

@Jambrains ....you always keep it real, man, and I love that. I know you're right about this arrangement. Those pauses are my comfort zone. I have been doing well at moving out of that zone but I admit that with those song I just let it go the way it was going.

Thanks for checking this one out.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 12:36:39
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 12:39:06 by Leonard Scaper »
I did a quick remix last night.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=13834684

I don't often do that with these songs....I have already moved on with a couple of pretty exciting new projects in front of me.......but in light of the excellent critiques from @Timothy Smith and @Jambrains , I had to pull this one back up. I'm really glad that I did.

I went back and listened to a couple of my songs from six months or so ago and found that my recent material has started to sound a little....crispier......compared to what I was doing back then. Some subtle EQ adjustments got me smiling again.

Then I listened to those pauses, especially at the beginning and realized that with a bit of automated delay on the guitars I could fill those spaces in a bit.

While I was at it, I pulled the reverb up a little on the vocals.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=13834684

One more thing.......it is very satisfying to hear when folks appreciate my songs. We all know how that feels, right? But let's not be afraid to tell each other when we hear something that strikes us as not quite right about the song we are listening to. That's how we will continue to grow musically.

There is no other place quite like this Kitchen, at least not that I have seen. This family atmosphere really lends itself to improvement.

Now I have some listening to catch up on.......

8)

Reply #28 on: February 05, 2019, 20:14:36
@Leonard Scaper digging that unplugged version
fly away and find my peace of mind...
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma