• Charlie
  • Patissier
  • Songster

• May 24, 2020, 16:24:33
    • Netherlands
  • more
Love is strange
on: December 14, 2019, 12:06:41
This is the first song I would like share with you. It's my latest upload to the net. In fact, it might be a bit atypical for my style since it contains more percusion than I use to add to my mainly acoustic songs. One way or another it got out of hand here.

I had the melody line of the verse for quite some time in my head. I play the accompaniment with (lots of) open strings on my guitar. When I finally found lyrics to it the chords of the chorus followed quickly.

Love is strange

Love is strange, it is so wild
It burns my soul; it breaks my heart
It never fades and keeps on calling
I canít resist it, I am falling in love

Love is heaven upon earth
It is first sight, and my last word
It makes me tick and keeps on trying
I am addicted, I am dying for love

I say yes and you say no
Your good-bye is my hello
You attract me, you reject me
why don't you let my love grow
on you...

You are all I ever wanted
You carved your name out in my heart
How can you take my love for granted
why should your carving leave a scar

You make me cry, you make me sing
Iím your puppet on a string
You let me run, then keep me waiting
with my heartache made in you

I say yes and you say no
Your good-bye is my hello
You attract me, you reject me
why don't you let my love grow
on you...
If you dig it, do it. If you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce).

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 21:54:02
  • more
Re: Love is strange
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 16:53:30
hi @Charlie DeVey  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: that is a very nice song  ::headphone:: ::headphone:: ::headphone:: sounds very good to me, and your voice is very good too
me, myself, and Pie

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 17:17:05
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 18:03:27
Good evening to you, Charlie
@Charlie DeVey

Glad that you decided to join. What is more? Very very glad....
Love the music, love the worked-upon single.
Whatís there not to love.

I really look forward to more in this vein. Itís contagious you see!
Welcome welcome, glad to have you around!
Kind regards, Gus

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• March 03, 2020, 21:01:03
    • Sydney, Australia
    • https://www.facebook.com/drivingsouthband/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCygXcTLN2FroxhUQM_90J6Q?view_as=subscriber https://soundcloud.com/user-386444683
  • more
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 00:13:56
Welcome to the Kitchen @Charlie DeVey

Nice song, words and vocals.

Cheers

Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 00:25:08
I enjoyed your first song here@Charlie - a little pop coming in with that chorus. The vocals are clear and warm and the guitar with open tuning works well.
Look forward to more :yes:

Robert

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 16:52:55
Hi @Charlie  Ö. nice song! To me this is just a wonderful style Ö when the drums come in it just opens up!
NS gives you a thumbs up and subscribes to your channel. Keep up the good work!
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Michael
  • Rotisseur
  • Music Addict

• June 30, 2020, 23:03:37
    • Switzerland
    • https://soundcloud.com/michaelheider
  • more
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 22:13:02
Hi Charlie,

Great first song to share with us!
I am sucker for both open chords and picked guitar playing (is that what you call it in English?), so this sound is right up my alley :)
This kind of guitar sound makes me want to try and play along on the guitar, too bad I don't have one with me right now  :D

I read that you added percussion, and at the beginning of the song I thought it wouldn't need the addidtion of any percussion. But you introduce them in a very clever way, bringing them in at a section where the vocals are taking a break. The tambourine sounds particularly nice for this kind of song, I think.

Some great little details in here:
That last word of the 4th line ("looove") moving to the back of the mix at 0:28
The little nod to a famous Beatles song at 1:04
The glockenspiel at 2:04
It's those little things that can make a big difference for me in a song, and you have a very nice eye (ear?) for the details!

• Charlie
  • Patissier
  • Songster

• May 24, 2020, 16:24:33
    • Netherlands
  • more
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 12:31:05
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 12:35:27 by Charlie »
Thanks @Dutchbeat @LePlongeur @Jurgen @robertkc for your words of welcome and appreciation. I struggled with a writer's and singer's block over the last couple of months, but this Kitchen feels like a warm and inspiring place to try again and do more. @Bill from November Sound also thanks for your support on Youtube. And @Michael my guitar style is predominently what they call fingerstyle. But pickin' it is! Im am so happy with comments by you and others about the percussion. I feel (felt) very unsure about it since I depend on midi and subtleties, timing and latency create many obstacles. Often I come out of my little attic studio crossed-eyed and with a headache. Recording guitar and singing is more relaxed (if anything is relaxed in a studio...) since that's the live part of it all. And I spoiled myself last year with some incredible microphones. A set of Gefell M300's for my guitar and a Neumann U87 Ai for vocals. Far too exquisit for me as an amateur but when I started to help out other musicians who came in with professional studio tapes I noticed the sharp contrast with my former equipment and I realized I needed to sacrifice my savings, and more. And Michael, so nice you referred to the 'little things'. The make me tick (too).
Charlie

Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 13:48:33
Hi @Charlie ,

What a great first-post! I truly enjoyed listening to your song, your fingering sounds extremely beautiful! And the recording quality is  very good! After reading about the drum in your opening post I was curiously waiting for it to come in. I didn't think it essentially 'needs' the drums but when they do come in they actually complement the remaining elements of the song nicely :) (I am not sure at all why, but when the drums came in, for a split second I was reminded just a bit of Avicii's hey brother... maybe it was the long note and the singing style (?)).

The lyrics are nicely written, I particlarly liked the verses and the way by which they rhyme. In the case of of the chorus they brought to mind the Beatles' song. I also felt that your voice suited the style very much.

Thanks for sharing your song with us! :)
Looking forward to more, it's great to have you with us :)

Rachel
Rachel  ::Rachel::
https://.com/rachel_debattista

Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 13:50:08
I missed this one @Charlie . This sounds really fine. Your guitar and vocals work beautifully together.

I know what you mean about percussion. That's why I simply don't use it in my stuff......I never feel comfortable with an instrument that I really don't know how to play. It sounds good in this tune, though. Nice job.

Those are excellent microphones! I think you did the right thing......we need to capture our songs well at the front end. I spent a few thousand dollars on my front end years ago and have just been happily recording since then, confident that I am capturing my guitar and vocals properly.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 16:13:52
@Charlie Crosby, Stills, and Nash spring to mind. Not just for the instrumental part, but also for the way you intone the words to the music. This is just very well done.
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 13:38:33
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 22:45:07 by Mora Amaro La Loba »
Hola @Charlie

Yes, you are in love!!!!!! The song is very romantic even nostalgic and has all the necessary elements to be a love song and I can add a song for lovers.
Your voice sounds good in the mix and the balance of the reverb is very natural. Nice song!!!
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
https://vimeo.com/onacarom

xx
Using Strange Instruments

Started by Leonard Scaper on Songwriting Ingredients

13 Replies
Last post March 07, 2019, 21:59:17
by Leonard Scaper
xx
Strange and Dangerous

Started by dr_Shad on Songs for review

8 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 07:20:45
by GreatBigThings
xx
The Moth - A strange story

Started by Mora Amaro La Loba on Songs for review

16 Replies
Last post February 28, 2020, 19:30:01
by Kolohe
xx
strange cover versions.....

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen cafť

1 Replies
Last post May 28, 2017, 14:57:12
by Mark Luto
smiley
ROFLMAO! Of all the strange things I've created this must be it!

Started by Jambrains on Songs for review

7 Replies
Last post June 22, 2015, 15:01:20
by Dutchbeat