• Mix/Production/Master service for Kitcheners!-Tiago won the free production!
  • Started by Mar T.
  • Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 10:38:04
    • Duiven
  • more
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:09:56 by Mar T. »
Hi everybody,

It's been a while since we shared production orientated song-development topics in our beloved kitchen.
Last days I had a very pleasant chit-chat with @Jambrains , one of the production geeks amongst us. We cooperated more than a year ago on some songs and shared the production details with the kitchen. For those who see production as part of creating a song we were fed back that those were great threads to follow.

We're going to breathe new life in this department. @Jambrains kindly offered to mix/master/produce a track from a fellow kitchener. Now ladies and gentleman, this man knows what he's doing, we met 2 years ago when the kitchen just started. He's been focussing on production as part of songwriting a lot, and the results are amazing! As we all know he's in a virtual band with another of our beloved kitchen members @Zedd , and they call themselves 'Ashes for dreams'. Go listen to them (you can use the search function on the forum to find songs of 'Ashes for dreams' and you know you're going to receive a pro-sounding mix)

Now before you all going to shout: 'Me! me! me!', I'm going to briefly sum up how we're going to work.
1. If you're interested in a complete mix-from-scretch/master/production please reply to this thread and provide a link to your own initial mix (the 'before' mix) sometime in the next 2 weeks. So closing date is around 15-07-2017, and JB will pick one song to work with.
2. Make sure you only reply if you are able to provide the stems of your track, cleared of ALL effects should your song be the lucky song.
3. The owner must allow Jambrains to post his mix on his SoundCloud page
4. Since @Jambrains will need some freedom in the technical part, he will discuss your requirements, but make his own subjective choices considering HOW to produce your beauty. In short: there will be a signature 'Jambrains' sound in the end, who doesn't want that?
5. If the song is played to a click track please provide the bpm

JB, I'll hand over the mic to you, did I forget to mention something?
Cheers my friend, and common dear kitcheners, provide us with a lot of songs to choose from!
:mart:

I'm proud of this track, check it out! https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

• Jambrains
  • Chef de Partie
  • You ain't seen nothing yet..

• March 27, 2020, 09:31:13
  • more
Re: Mix/Production/Master service for Kitcheners!
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 12:04:06
Firstly selection criteria: depending on what songs that are offered I may go for the song with the greatest improvement potential or perhaps the the one with some issue that requires some interesting technique to solve. Or something else, it all depends what songs are offered. The recordings don't have to be perfect by any means but I do need something to work with so a raw 1+1 recorded on an iPhone will probably not be selected simply because there is only so much that can be done with. On the other hand a descent recording of a 1+1 song with separate tracks for guitar and vocals may very well be selected.

OK, so adding (and party overlapping) @Mar T.'s post, here are the details as of what has to be delivered should your song be choosen:

1) Every track shall be exported as a separate .wav file 44,1kHz (16 or 24 bit)

2) All tracks shall be of the whole lenght of the song, so all track have the same lenght. I can't "puzzle pieces together"

3) If drums are produced by a virtual instruments (EZDrummer etc) export as many parts as possible (depending on what is possible in your drum plug in) as separate .wav file e.g. kick, snare, hihat as separat tracks

4) If electric guitar/bass is recorded directly into the soundcard and then processed by virtual amp simulators etc please supply both the raw di track and the processed one (ran through the amp sim) but still without any other effects, eq etc.

5) Name all tracks for easy identification i.e. bass, lead vocals etc and not track1, track2 and so on

6) As already mentioned, export track with all effects, eq etc disabled. This includes any effects, eq etc on the master buss/ group tracks (busses) etc.

7) Supply the original mix as a .wav file (for reference)

Since I plan on using these mixes as a portfolio (if I every decide to start offering mixing services) you should also agree to
a) have both your original mix and my mix on you sc (you whatever platform you use) or
b) allow me to put to put both mixes on my soundcloud (with credits/links etc for you)

You are free to us my mix in any way you like as long as you give me credits.

If your song is selected you are expected to write a brief description about what you like and don't like about your current mix, both as an input to my work but also as a reference for further discussion when the new mix is completed i.e. how well did I do compared to the input I was given?

Then I will listen and post the goals of the re-mix from my pov i.e. what I'm aming for.

Once the mix is done I will outline what I did and probably go more into details in certain areas e.g. that was difficult or interesting for some reason. After that we will hopefully have loads of questions and discussions from which we all can learn something regardless of current production skills.

Think that was all for now, I hope we get a number of songs to choose from and lively discussions.
Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart
My land's only borders lie around my heart

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 22:20:36
Excellent and importants additions @Jambrains , thank you !

Well kitcheners, let us know which song you'd like to have mastered, it's free, fun and the results will be amazing!
Cheers,
:mart:

Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 23:50:50
What a great offer JB :) I'm going to have to think about this though :-\ I have no idea what song I should submit  ::Suzy::

• Mark Luto
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Enthusiastic Dilettante

• March 18, 2020, 00:30:27
    • Zurich, Switzerland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MarkLutoMusic/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2oOby1sRdVp60eBi8msivQ https://soundcloud.com/markluto
  • more
A great and generous and very tempting offer indeed @Jambrains , thank you!
I expect a lot of applications. Here's my one: https://soundcloud.com/markluto/your-mission
This was my very first original song and I think there's a lot of room for improvement... ;)

Cheers,
Mark

Speaking from personal experience, this is a FANTASTIC offer!!! @Jambrains has transformed a number of my songs and it's not getting old. Each time is more of a buzz than the last!!

I will be watching and listening with much interest!!!

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
I agree @Zedd ! I'll just keep bumping up this thread, before it gets lost in all our well beloved insanity...
Great opportunity dear kitcheners, I can really recommend this offer, you're welcome to sign up!

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
@Tiago.Mendes.Rodrigues , long time no see! Thanks for joining, I'll add your entry to the list!  ;)

Yes Mar T. lost track in the meddle of the Updates to the site... But now I'm here to stay!
Congrats on the grow of the Kitchen!!! I'm Very impress!!!

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 09:21:41
  • more
HI @Tiago.Mendes.Rodrigues great to see you back in the kitchen again  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

and that is a great and EPIC track you made  :o :o :o
me, myself, and Pie

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Bump, go for it kitcheneres it's for free, no strings attached!  ;) ;) ;)

• Jambrains
  • Chef de Partie
  • You ain't seen nothing yet..

• March 27, 2020, 09:31:13
  • more
Step up people, don't be shy!  :)
We will close this window of opportunity on Friday at midnight forum time so there is still time to put your song up for consideration.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:27:39 by CrystalSuzy »
It's so hard to try and decide which song would benefit most from this wonderful offer :-\ None of my songs are mixed very well, and they're certainly not mastered  :whistle:
Anyhow, just for fun, I'll throw these ones in the mix :) Maybe one of them might work for you  ::Suzy:: Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/crystalsuzy/no-one-looking-back-c

https://soundcloud.com/crystalsuzy/i-dont-fit-in

https://soundcloud.com/crystalsuzy/cell-phone-junkie

https://soundcloud.com/crystalsuzy/ancient-city