• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 17:17:25
    • Terra Firma
  • more
My Mona Lisa
on: March 01, 2020, 21:15:09
This one kept me busy....got carried away a bit with it.  8)

My Mona Lisa
https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14000654

Mona Lisa
Tell me what's on your mind
You've got that mystery smile again
I'd look deeper
But I'm afraid of what I might find there

Mona Lisa
I'd like to make you mine
I don't know how but I think I can
'Cause I get sheepish
With your smile on my mind

When even your eyes are smiling
I get to smiling too
When you look at me that way
There's nothing left to say

My Mona Lisa
My Mona Lisa

It looks like we're both smiling now

My Mona Lisa
I see now that I've been blind
That's the smile of a real good friend
Let's go deeper
And see what we can find there
Mona Lisa
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Redlady
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Karma Hunter

• Today at 14:08:44
  • more
Re: My Mona Lisa
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 08:32:10
HI Leonard

I really liked this.  I like the way you set up the first verse.  Your vocal, music and flow make the song very good.
Great job.

Sincerely
Redlady.

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 10:27:36
an nice and smart interwoven songarrangement.
Sounds brilliant .
I like that, you know.
And  Mona Lis is smiling, I bet!
XXChrisX
OUR NEW CD ALL SHADES OF BLUE IS OUT NOW:
https://www.blue-attitude.net/discography.html

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 15:30:33
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 10:58:15
Slightly more poppy than normal. It really looks good on you!
I like it a lot!
Kind regards, Gus

(Do I still have the nerve to complain about the BASS)?

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 13:16:21
@Redlady ....thanks so much for checking this one out and for your kind words.

@Chris Spruit ......I hope she is smiling...I am.  :) :) :)

@LePlongeur .....thanks, Gus. Yeah, this one is a bit different for me. And I'm COUNTING on you to complain about the bass!!!!

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 17:45:17
  • more
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 18:26:44
Ha classic Lenoard Scaper music! with a new rythm....ha that shaker...that works  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

great song in my opinion, romantic lyrics on music with a swing  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

these pauses are great  8) 8) 8), and so is the ending

small thingy....i feel the lines "it looks like we are both smiling now" could be brought up volumewise, make the vocal more upfront, it is sort of a hook / a conclusion, that could be made....more 'hooky' perhaps?
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 21:01:06
Better than Nat!
Beautiful!
 ::heart:: ::heart:: ::heart::
Jeete

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 22:47:08
@Dutchbeat ......I thought you might like this one.  :) :) :) :) :) Yeah, that shaker was a last minute thing that I really liked. I found out that it's not easy playing a real shaker and getting it right all the way through like that.  ;)

@Goatrelated .......thank you, Goatie!!!

:) :) :) :) :)

• Mutrins
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• April 04, 2020, 21:01:04
  • more
Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 00:14:55
Great production as per usual!! Love the lyrics as well

Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 14:16:05
@Leonard Scaper The neverending question that has plagued many viewers for centuries: what is behind that smile. It's a typical Scaper song, well sung overall, but with a couple of insecurities here and there. I must have said a number of times already that you have a voice that you needn't be insecure about at all. It is warm and welcoming, and pleasant to listen to.

I like the little bass melodies that you play in-between.

What you might still want to work on in this song is that the flow is a bit choppy, as it sounds as if the phrases are a bit disconnected. I don't know if this was intentional, but I think they could be laced together a bit more.
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 15:58:00
@Mutrins ...thanks for checking this one out, Micky.

@Pleudoniem ......I appreciate that about my voice. If I come across as insecure about it, it's probably just an inherent style thing. A dozen years ago I was using a TC Helicon Vocal Quintet harmonizer to augment the way I sang but those days are long gone. I just sing these days and let the feeling come out as best I can. I would never consider myself to be a vocalist per se, though. I just have a few songs now and then and I am the only one who can sing them.  ;)

I always appreciate your candid critiques. You're right about the somewhat herky-jerky nature of this tune.  It feels like it dances along for a bit but just when it's booty gets to shaking a little it trips over a crack in the sidewalk.  ;D

I started it with that odd acoustic guitar rhythm and kept adding stuff.....was having way too much fun. Then I spent a few hours nudging here and there to try to capture some sort of groove without it sounding like a grid. You know how I like stops.......that doesn't lend itself to a good groove, right?

I keep hearing a couple of spots where I could nudge things a bit more to click into place....we'll see if I do.  I know that my problem is that I just don't do drums. I just...don't. It's not something that I play and I have resisted using anything that needs to be programmed in rather than played. I have no MIDI in the studio.

Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 16:13:01
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 16:26:03 by Pleudoniem »
@Leonard Scaper I guess you could learn how to play them :) If you use an electronic kit, like @oorlab and I do, you won't disturb the neighbours and you still play them yourself. I don't program anything (except possibly for the sound set), and neither does he, and this way of working does allow for modifications afterwards if necessary.

E-kits have their own output (jack-plugs) that can be connected to any soundcard. I think Dick does it like that.

I used to insert patterns from Superior or EZDrummer, but they are prefabs (albeit played by real-life drummers). Just like you, i didn't feel quite comfortable with this. So, I bought an electronic drumkit that allows me to actually PLAY the sounds that are in SD and EZD and invent my own patterns. The kit as well as the programs can be played through a USB connection.

Just a thought ;)

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 16:32:34
The real issue is, @Pleudoniem , that I just don't seem to have a drummer's skill set. The few times that I have found myself behind a kit I felt like a fish in a tree. Pondering that........I have always enjoyed playing with a real drummer but when I am on my own I seem to play to a more .....shall we say....esoteric groove.  :)

I have always respected your natural approach to your music. I love how you work your bass lines. Your new one is an excellent example of that........waiting for a proper studio listen to comment on that one, btw.

Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 18:05:05
Always enjoy your music Leon. I will admit it took listening a few times through for me to get more accustomed to the start/stop.
Once I had the hang of it though I enjoyed it!

Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 18:18:47
@Leonard Scaper Ah well, I see what you mean. I guess it is a bit like how this works with me and my wife. She plays the flute magnificently, she even has a musical degree in it, but I don't think I was made to play such an instrument. I don't feel much for wind instruments. Whenever I need a flute part, I ask her to do it for me.

smiley
Lisa Loeb - Stay live cover

Started by acoustic-alice on Live performances

1 Replies
Last post June 14, 2016, 21:25:34
by fischermans