• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• Today at 09:28:15
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
  • more
'My Sleeping Beauty'
on: November 25, 2018, 15:55:53
After all the draining sensitivities of 'Two Hearts In The Snow', I thought I just had to revisit the quirky side of my songwriting as soon as possible!  ;)

Now this one is living proof that sometimes being able to write songs pays off in life. It's a delicate subject, I know, but Mrs Michael A has been dishing out much grief to me recently on account of my worsening snoring problem! Yeah, so unfair, I agree. But also, I do have the tendency to stay up late mixing songs etc, then kind of accidentally wake her up when I eventually rather noisily stumble into bed.

So I wrote this song to try to make her see the lighter side of the situation. And it worked, well sort of. Well she smiled anyway, first time for ages in my direction. Plus I didn't get ordered to sleep in the guest bedroom last night. Progress!...and so I conclude that this is why the Great God of Songwriting has blessed me with this (limited) tune making gift. The meaning of life all makes sense now and marital harmony rules!  ::thumb::

Anyway, here is the song...

https://soundcloud.com/michael-a-duffy/my-sleeping-beauty

Lyrics:

My Sleeping Beauty

I tried not to wake her
I tiptoed up the stairs
As quietly as I could until
I fell into a chair
I may have been a little drunk
She was stirring in the bed
She seemed glad to see me
When these come-on words she said

I want you baby
I want you now
She said seize me in your arms
And thrill me
I love your beer breath
My drunken dear
Let me whisper in your ear

Get real!
You woke me up!

I tried not to wake her
Cos she was clearly in a mood
But snoring has its own ideas
On what is and is not rude
I felt an elbow in my ribs
Nearly knocked me out of bed
I'm sure she looked at me with lust
As these sultry words she said

I want you baby
I want you now
She said seize me in your arms
And thrill me
I love your snoring
My noisy dear
Let me whisper in your ear

Get real!
You woke me up!

Oh, counting sheep
Off to sleep
And a sweet dreams wonderland
I find pure tranquillity
Helps amenability
Woke next day
Feeling great
Though I slept in rather late
Called my dearest back to bed
Bring a cup of tea I said
Hopes of passion filled my head

Oh darling
Good morning, kiss

I want you baby
I want you now
I said seize me in your arms
And thrill me
I love your bleary eyes
My sweetest dear
Until she whispered in my ear

Get real!
You woke me up!

Oh, la-la-la
My sleeping beauty

If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

• Lane
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• December 16, 2018, 21:10:28
  • more
Re: 'My Sleeping Beauty'
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 17:55:39
I`m the first to comment,

great mix, no wonder your up till all hours,
good music and like the humor, tossed into the lyric.
had fun listening, then went back to read the lyric again.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 15:43:36
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 18:15:35
I LOVE this!!!!! The first time you broke into that groove I broke into a massive grin.

Seriously, though.....this is an excellent and entertaining production. Your vocals sounds fantastic and as @Lane mentioned, it's a very good mix.

I know I've said this before, but your productions have  a very special theatrical quality that you absolutely own.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 19:03:49
@MichaelA  If only whimsical songwriting with theatrical production were an infallible aphrodisiac ;)
 This is inventive and fun... a dash of Lennon and a dollop of Incredible String Band.
Very cool :pompom:

Robert

• LostBoy
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• December 16, 2018, 15:22:05
    • South east London
    • https://soundcloud.com/LostBoy85
  • more
Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 21:48:38
Hahaha!! This cracked me up! Your wife sounds like the Crazy frog!! 🤣 Well done mate! Very well put together. I’m sure many mean can relate to this!!🤣🤣🤣

Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 01:23:48
Egad @MichaelA   this... is …. Crazy!   crazy cool!

I'm speechless … absolutely, brilliantly, cosmically absurd.  :dance:

This is awesome.  ;D

How's that for a review?Pretty bad I know. Oh well.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 14:03:05
Thanks for that first comment @Lane. But I am banned from staying up late mixing for now, so maybe my next song will sound rubbish!  ;)

Hey @Leonard Scaper , I am glad to be exporting massive grins across the Atlantic! Sometimes I myself don't think I am as theatrical as some people  reckon, but on this occasion, yeah definitely guilty as charged!  :ok:

THanks for the Lennon reference @robertkc , he's one of my heroes! I'll keep working on that aphrodisiac however! :ok:

Hi @LostBoy , I like that Crazy Frog comparison. BUt can we keep that to ourselves please!  :D

Well @Bill from November Sound , glad you were entertained by the song. Just you simply saying that made it worthwhile for me that you 'reviewed' the song. It's nice coming on here and sharing a song with a few people in the community, even if they don't have a lot to say about it. I know 'Competitions' got renamed 'Challenges'. Maybe 'Songs for Review' should become 'Share a Song', so people don't feel they have to be over analytical about their responses. Some people might give suggestions, others might just express some level of appreciation without feeling that they should have written more! Both inputs equally valid. Thanks anyway!   ::thumb::

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 11:46:58
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 16:51:06
 Devilishly cleaver put together, and above all a Vivian Stainshallish kind of humor.
I know John L. Is one of your heroes, but Sir Viv (as he’s called in this house) is one of mine.
And I every time I fall for music with humorous lyrics.
On for the third time now. I could easily get used to this top ‘niveau’. For want of the right word.
Next one please.
Kind regards, Gus

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 19:30:19
Hi Gus, @LePlongeur , yes I listened to some old Bonzo Dog stuff a few months back, and it's always worthwhile. It's strange these days that we don't see humour much in contemporary songs. It is probably not cool any more, but, hey, I am too old to care ;D

Thanks for those nice words!  :ok:

Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 22:25:45
Dashes of Zappa too - much enjoyed! Props for the mix, and smilies for the humour  :dance: :praise:
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

• Zedd
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef

• Yesterday at 20:33:07
    • https://soundcloud.com/monnodb
  • more
Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 23:14:04
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 23:40:55 by Zedd »
Hey @MichaelA .. very inventive and quirky (have I said that before ? :) ) Great arrangement choices I must say - lovely mix to my ear. - I'm so impressed by it actually..  Clever lyric as ever...

Only think I wasn't in love with and I appear to be completely alone in this so I guess you should ignore my lone voice was the voicing you used for the "Get real, you woke me up..." bit.. It assaulted my ears a bit, but I guess that's the point, right? What would I use? Not sure... angry female maybe?

But apart from that VERY minor and very personal nit, I think it's a fab, creative, enjoyable and clever song.. Another cracker from you Michael - you're on fire!!!

K

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 00:35:13
Hi Karen @Zedd , thanks for this feedback, and actually you are not in fact  the 'lone voice' objecting to that vocal interlude, as my wife doesn't like it either. I told her it was supposed to be swamp-monster like, as if you've been woken n the middle of the night, and are barely human! I also wanted it be a big caricature, yet fun, maybe Muppet like or something! But maybe females are not going to like this, while men so far seem to find it funny, including a couple of my own male friends who have had a listen. Mmm dilemma time...

I could ask you, of course, to have a go at 'angry female'. But then again I maybe just might have another bigger favour to ask of you in a couple of weeks or so, so I will hold off for now. But watch this space, as they say!  ;)

• Zedd
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef

• Yesterday at 20:33:07
    • https://soundcloud.com/monnodb
  • more
Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 09:43:34
Hi Karen @Zedd , thanks for this feedback, and actually you are not in fact  the 'lone voice' objecting to that vocal interlude, as my wife doesn't like it either. I told her it was supposed to be swamp-monster like, as if you've been woken n the middle of the night, and are barely human! I also wanted it be a big caricature, yet fun, maybe Muppet like or something! But maybe females are not going to like this, while men so far seem to find it funny, including a couple of my own male friends who have had a listen. Mmm dilemma time...

There seems to be overwhelming support for your swamp-monster so I would say no dilemma at all! Never mind us women-folk :) .. I'm not sure I'd be theatrical enough for you , and being Irish, I'd not be able to say that without cursing anyway.. Did you use vocal effects to make it sound like that? Did you try pitch shifting to make yourself sound female rather than monster-like?  Like, if you want to.. As I said, everyone else is giving it major thumbs up... I did consider not mentioning it because of those multiple thumbs but sure I guess that's what we're here for..

K

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 15:43:36
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 10:30:56
Regarding the swamp monster......I will admit that that caught my attention a bit. You might consider mixing them progressively back as they enter in the mix....kind of have them receding on the sound stage so they are not all the same. You could do that with some automated filtering and reverb...maybe even an automated (wet/dry) stereo delay.

8)

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 14:10:41
Hi @Zedd , and now @Leonard Scaper on the same subject. Yep I already have a bit of pitch shift on Mr Swamp Monster, but it sounds too synthesised with any more. I will play with some ideas, including the Lenny ones when I get a bit of time, and thanks both for the honest feedback, it's much appreciated if things are bothering you a bit!

I might rerecord him, actually, with my own voice slightly more highly pitched, as I admit I did do a bit of a guttural growl.

I can also do a good impersonation of Miss Piggy, but maybe that's a copyright issue!  :ok:

BTW, thanks for stopping by @oorlab and for the positive comment  :ok:

xx
Bombs over a sleeping city

Started by LePlongeur on Songs for review

25 Replies
Last post July 20, 2018, 21:30:43
by LePlongeur