• Never Make it Alone
  • Started by Sandman Star
Never Make it Alone
on: January 13, 2014, 22:54:29
This seems to have morphed into some sort of soft prog rock odyssey but it's been good fun so far  -   I know the things I want to change on it when I get time but appreciate comments!!

https://soundcloud.com/sandman-star/never-make-it-alone

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 14:10:35
  • more
Re: Never Make it Alone
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 08:25:11
Hi Sandman,

Welcome to this forum!!!!

i will have to get back back to your song tonight, because that thing they call "work" awaits now.... :( :( :(

but some welcome Karma points coming you way...

me, myself, and Pie

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 14:10:35
  • more
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 17:05:26
Hi Sandman Star! (Family of Ringo  ;D ;D)

now what a pleasant surprise, i enormously enjoyed this song........that is just some piece of great songwriting with great vocal (harmonies)

coollllllll, a pleasure to meet you!!!! i have feeling i have heard music from you before, but as i am not sure...i better shut up

and i love that synthy bleepy sound.....

the track ends abrupt.... :P???
that probably is meant to be a fade-out..

tips for approval....none....well, perhaps this, only about the mix....i wouldn't dare to comment on the music, it is all there

but the mix on my head phones here sounds a bit treblish, or lacking some low, perhaps???? and vocals sound a bit thin??? i have a feeling the whole mix can have some more "oemph"

thanks for sharing! I hope you have more in store for us

yes, yet another extra karma point coming your way

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 21:38:21
Cheers,   appreciated the comments!

On the mix : I had decided my last efforts were a bit muddy so I went for a bright sound but have probably overcooked it to be honest.  It sounds happy enough on a stereo but on small headphones it's a bit quirky.
The synth / beepy sound is actually a Hammond organ ( Midi) with banging in notes with 2 fingers ( such is my keyboard talent!)

Vocal wise I'm using an SM57 which just doesnt work that well with my voice although I've percivered... It does sound a bit thin and I have lifted the treble a fair bit up top so no surprise.

And yes  for some reason it chops just as it's finishing at the end ( maybe 2 seconds missing) so I'll need to sort that...

Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 12:45:04
Great 70s vibe on the vocal harmonies. Like a cross between The Eagles, CSN and Genesis ;-) Fantastic. Of course, it's far too short...needs to be at least 12 minutes and a "four-part trilogy" to get the prog rock epithet ;-)

Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 13:09:48
I love the intro mate and the vocals suit the song perfectly - man those harmonies  ;D

Belter of a chorus - right just admit it you are a pro right  ;)

Love the exorcist snyths

Excellente    :D

Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 12:38:23
Hi Phil and welcome to the kitchen :) I enjoyed your song very much and you're certainly right about it being a soft prog rock odyssey :) everything about it's quite amazing actually :) great piece of songwriting and the production stellar :) nothing I can suggest that hasn't already been mentioned :) looking foreword to hearing more of your stuff :) :)CS

• Wicked Deeds

Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 18:13:57
A very big production Sandman.  A fine intro and immediately catch first verse.  Backing vocals are spot on!  I'd say your mixing of the guitars in the chorus is a great example of how to include lead playing without it competing against the vocal melody!  Excellent and well done.  There are some beautifully recorded acoustic guitar chords popping up here and there too.  Overall, a fne song and a beautiful recording. 

Once again, welcome to the kitchen!  :)

Paul

Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 18:47:59
Thanks all ! Really nice comments all round.     I really enojyed putting this one together and the big issue is now trying to remember the process so I get the next one in a similar state of actually sounding close to finished....   I've spent more time and effort for worse results before.   It could still do with a proper drummer to make the drums more interesting and the bass is just single notes on the VB3 hammond so very plain.

Key learnings! 
Only put stuff in for a reason and play it as well as you can.  If you know there's a fluff, do it again.   If you find yourself not turning up a track so you can hear it, ask your self whether it's because it doesnt sound very good. Be ruthless and do it again.
I used more reverb on this than I usually do and it seems to give more space.  I still struggle with getting reverb right on vocals though.
Intead of just banging on the compressor on vocals, I tried to 'use it' and in fact there is hardly any compression on any vocals and this keeps seems to keep  the energy up.

Good point on the lead guitars during the chorus.  I have 12 string acoustic, lead guitar, physco hammond, and single note piano all running together.   I was convinced that they could not all be there but once the volumes are decent, I seem to get away with it.   I must have turned those guitars down many times, but they still cut through.    Note there is no rythmn electic part anywhere in the song, and that give space for other stuff I reckon.   

Praise be to Reaper!  Just an amazing bit of software.

Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 20:33:01
jesus, turns into a bit of monster this, dig the solo!  chorus is catchy, we'l be gone gone gone, bashing them chords, nice! i like the vocals, kinda ian brownish in bits of it, the verses mainly!!
fly away and find my peace of mind...
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures

• fischermans
  • Sous Chef
  • I'm always working on the big picture

• October 29, 2016, 08:52:39
    • Eynatten Belgium
    • https://www.facebook.com/Alexander.Fisch.Songwriter https://soundcloud.com/fischermans100
  • more
Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 10:43:20
Wow what a great song.Very fine melody and great production. Enjoyed listening thank you.
Only I don?t like the end.

xx
Make A Wish

Started by Wicked Deeds on Songs for review

7 Replies
Last post March 28, 2014, 06:56:23
by CrystalSuzy
xx
make believe me

Started by Rightly on Lyrics

7 Replies
Last post June 14, 2019, 14:41:19