• Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 02:37:06
    • Duiven
  • more
Never Mine To Keep - Collab JB/MM
on: October 17, 2015, 17:32:48
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:51:10 by MartiMedia »
Hi all,

Here's my finished version of Never Mine To Keep, the song that was written by Jambrains. We collaborated last weeks and refined the idea of the production. I provided the vocals to JB, he shared the instrumental tracks with me and we both produce a final mix and share the process with you.

The mixing of my version was documented here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rw1v2htcwwzrddb/NeverMineToKeep.doc?dl=0

You'll read there were 5 stages and I printed the mix (mixed down) after every stage (and uploaded as a private track to my SoundCloud account) so you can hear the result after every stage.
Here's the stages and result after the stage:
STAGE 1 - Organising and make a basic mix (levels/panning) - https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/neverminetokeepmixmaster1/s-3wlqC
STAGE 2 - Adding EQ and compression - https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/neverminetokeepmixmaster2/s-zEl6k
STAGE 3 - Adding room - https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/neverminetokeepmixmaster3/s-9rmSD
STAGE 4 - Creative stage - https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/neverminetokeepmixmaster4/s-FGiuG

The master (the version I'd release): (Watch out, it is really LOUD compared to the first 4 mixes!! Dangerous if you are on headphones)

STAGE 5 - Mastering the beast - https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/neverminetokeepmixmaster5/s-INhVp

I hope you have fun reading/listening to what I was doing. If you have tips/tricks for me to make the result better please let me know! When done discussing I'll release the stage 5 version.
Have a nice weekend folks!
MM
I'm proud of this track, check it out! https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 21:15:19
  • more
i listened to stage 5, "mastering the beast" phase here...and i loved it

that is a big one, this beast  ;D ;D ;D ;D
 :o :o :o :o, a shocking beast even
the hiatt in the left ear, may take a bit too much energy, volume, at points....perhaps......that the beast could even further take  :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D

but i love the hugeness and energy of this

it also makes me realise, how tiny
my mixes are

but, in my defense...i am a keyboard player...you know...that guy in the back  ;D ;D ;D

really good this!!!
me, myself, and Pie

• Jambrains
  • Chef de Partie
  • You ain't seen nothing yet..

• April 05, 2020, 23:13:19
  • more
Cool!!!!!!!!!!!  :) :) :) :) :)
First time ever I had someone mix what I have recorded (well, except for the vocals of course). I will look closesly into this.
After the first few listen there are obviously differences but also similarities. I will try do digest this and come back..
But I can already say that high hat is (for my taste) way to high in the mix  ;D ;D

Here is what I have managed to do so for, it's only a first draft and still very much work in progress.
There are some parts I like and some that I'm not happy with yet.....
https://soundcloud.com/jambrains/neverminetokeep-draft1/s-IfeQe

I plan on documenting my work through a number of videos where I show how I mix but I have not yet been able to get both the music and my voice into the video recording...
Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart
My land's only borders lie around my heart

Wow that's beautiful.. I really love this song.. The quiet start moving into the harder chorus is stunning.... and then back to piano. Love it!

I have loved watching and listening to this collaboration - thanks so much guys for sharing the process with the rest of us...

Well done!

Z

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
i listened to stage 5, "mastering the beast" phase here...and i loved it

that is a big one, this beast  ;D ;D ;D ;D
 :o :o :o :o, a shocking beast even
the hiatt in the left ear, may take a bit too much energy, volume, at points....perhaps......that the beast could even further take  :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D

but i love the hugeness and energy of this

it also makes me realise, how tiny
my mixes are

but, in my defense...i am a keyboard player...you know...that guy in the back  ;D ;D ;D

really good this!!!
Thanks DB! Definately will look at the hi-hats!

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!  :) :) :) :) :)
First time ever I had someone mix what I have recorded (well, except for the vocals of course). I will look closesly into this.
After the first few listen there are obviously differences but also similarities. I will try do digest this and come back..
But I can already say that high hat is (for my taste) way to high in the mix  ;D ;D

Here is what I have managed to do so for, it's only a first draft and still very much work in progress.
There are some parts I like and some that I'm not happy with yet.....
https://soundcloud.com/jambrains/neverminetokeep-draft1/s-IfeQe

I plan on documenting my work through a number of videos where I show how I mix but I have not yet been able to get both the music and my voice into the video recording...

Cool!
Started comparing to my version immediately:
More transients in ac guitar (great!)
Vocal more compressed, sometimes coming in at the wrong timing (but it's a wip haha), seems to be
even more compressed in the loud parts of the song. (don't know if I like that)
Electric part comes in way louder (great!)
Overall the dynamics of every track seem to be compressed more than in my version. (don't know if I like haha)
Have to listen a few times again, but we both seem to have delivered great work so far!

Ok DB also brought the hi-hat to my attention, I have some problems hearing those frequencies,
so I'll bring them down a huge bit.

What a great collab is this JB!

Wow that's beautiful.. I really love this song.. The quiet start moving into the harder chorus is stunning.... and then back to piano. Love it!

I have loved watching and listening to this collaboration - thanks so much guys for sharing the process with the rest of us...

Well done!

Z
Cool isn't it!! ThanQ Z!!

Here's the latest state:

https://soundcloud.com/jambrains/neverminetokeep-draft1/s-IfeQe (WIP)
https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/neverminetokeepmixmaster5/s-INhVp (Finished, only need to look at the hi-hats so far)

MM

• Jambrains
  • Chef de Partie

• more
Made an experiment,a "how I mix" video where I try to explain what I'm doing but without any music (have not gotten that to work, .... yet)
Speaking without any notes or manuscript so there is room for improvement...both for content and accent  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Anyway, does this work at all? Does it give some insigts or is it just a waste of time for all of us?
Let me know..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5GFYEtBfI0&feature=youtu.be

hi Congrats great job with this song!

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Made an experiment,a "how I mix" video where I try to explain what I'm doing but without any music (have not gotten that to work, .... yet)
Speaking without any notes or manuscript so there is room for improvement...both for content and accent  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Anyway, does this work at all? Does it give some insigts or is it just a waste of time for all of us?
Let me know..

This is so cool JB! A view into your kitchen!! Thanks for taking the time and sharing! So you use a lot of harmonic excitement on the
acoustic guitars, so you find them sounding more natural when using this effect? Or is that not what you're searching for?
Great improvising without notes and I didn't hear an accent!
I'll go fixing the hi-hats in my mix quick, and replace the master record with the new one.
MM

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:29:07 by MartiMedia »
Ok updated my master mix (lowered the hi-hat in volume and gave the kick drum some extra energy)... --> https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/neverminetokeepmixmaster5/s-INhVp
Better? MM

• Jambrains
  • Chef de Partie

• more
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 12:48:34 by Jambrains »
Let me know..

This is so cool JB! A view into your kitchen!! Thanks for taking the time and sharing! So you use a lot of harmonic excitement on the
acoustic guitars, so you find them sounding more natural when using this effect? Or is that not what you're searching for?
Great improvising without notes and I didn't hear an accent!
I'll go fixing the hi-hats in my mix quick, and replace the master record with the new one.
MM
Greta, then I'll continue to make these kind of simple videos, easier than typing  ;D
If the acoustics sound more natural or not is not really an issue for me.
I always try to make things sound good (to my ears) and seldom think about if they sound "natural" or not.

• digger72
  • Chef de Partie
  • The Comfortably Strange

• September 20, 2017, 10:11:34
  • more
HI Guys,

First up - great song - sort of in the "Bring Me To Life" (Evanescence) mould - which I like. Also reminded me of a band I used to listen to back in the day - Helloween"
Great guitar work. I wasn't overly sure of the vocal in places - a little bit too dramatic for my tastes.
I think Jambrain's mix is just edging it for me at the minute. A bit fuller sounding maybe?

Great collab.

Digger

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 21:15:19
  • more
Ha Jambrains, thanks for the video about how your treat the guitars....that is a lot of fxs.....and things i never used...gives me ideas to try some of these

can you also do a film of how you make the vocals HUGE...i am always looking for ways how to do that

and, this is a great thread, but.........at the moment i am not sure where i can find the last version (or versions) of this track  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wow! I?ve just been going through all your posts and uploads (MM?s detailed document and tracks and JB?s video and track). And although I do not fully understand the technicalities (in terms of the significance of the numerical values and all the different functions) it was still interesting to follow through and listen to the way the tracks were affected after undergoing the different alterations. I like both of your versions and it is also great to be able to compare the sound of the same track as mixed by two different individuals.

@MM: It was really interesting to be able to follow the process that you went through when mixing and mastering. It was great to be able to compare the sounds at the different stages. I found stage 4 particularly interesting and I like your ideas for the 1?58 transition and for the ending. I also like the way the introduction is sounding in your version (in terms of voice-to-music levels)

@ JB: It was very interesting to watch your video, very clear and visual. While listening to your track - I particularly liked the way the ?music? sounds in the section starting at 00:58 in your version (there seem to be additional synths? Not sure exactly what it is). I also like your version of section 3:43-3:58 the voice seems to sound better and less distorted at the louder parts.

All in all this is a brilliant track and I really enjoyed listening to it (for multiple times :P) ! Thanks for sharing! :) :D
Rachel  ::Rachel::
https://.com/rachel_debattista

• Jambrains
  • Chef de Partie

• more
Ha Jambrains, thanks for the video about how your treat the guitars....that is a lot of fxs.....and things i never used...gives me ideas to try some of these

can you also do a film of how you make the vocals HUGE...i am always looking for ways how to do that

and, this is a great thread, but.........at the moment i am not sure where i can find the last version (or versions) of this track  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I will try to make videos on all aspects of the song and just for you my friend I will start with the backing vocals!  ;D ;D

HI Guys,

First up - great song - sort of in the "Bring Me To Life" (Evanescence) mould - which I like. Also reminded me of a band I used to listen to back in the day - Helloween"
Great guitar work. I wasn't overly sure of the vocal in places - a little bit too dramatic for my tastes.
I think Jambrain's mix is just edging it for me at the minute. A bit fuller sounding maybe?

Great collab.

Digger
Tnx for the kind words Digger! Yep, must admit that I have listened to Bring Me To Life more than once  ;D ;D
Too dramatic? Is that coming from a guy who just recently admitted he enjoyed Barbara Streisand singing!?!?!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Wow! I?ve just been going through all your posts and uploads (MM?s detailed document and tracks and JB?s video and track). And although I do not fully understand the technicalities (in terms of the significance of the numerical values and all the different functions) it was still interesting to follow through and listen to the way the tracks were affected after undergoing the different alterations. I like both of your versions and it is also great to be able to compare the sound of the same track as mixed by two different individuals.

@MM: It was really interesting to be able to follow the process that you went through when mixing and mastering. It was great to be able to compare the sounds at the different stages. I found stage 4 particularly interesting and I like your ideas for the 1?58 transition and for the ending. I also like the way the introduction is sounding in your version (in terms of voice-to-music levels)

@ JB: It was very interesting to watch your video, very clear and visual. While listening to your track - I particularly liked the way the ?music? sounds in the section starting at 00:58 in your version (there seem to be additional synths? Not sure exactly what it is). I also like your version of section 3:43-3:58 the voice seems to sound better and less distorted at the louder parts.

All in all this is a brilliant track and I really enjoyed listening to it (for multiple times :P) ! Thanks for sharing! :) :D
Thanks for the positive feedback Rachel, glad you enjoyed it!
No extra synths as 00:58, it's just me and MM mixing differently. At one point I had taken out the guitars completely there to make room for the synth pad (two of them actually) but then I changed my mind and kept the guitars but at a lower level. Same thing with the vocals, we have the same files, just treating them differently. It turns out MM has a tube preamp that he was driving p?retty hard when he recorded the vocals so the distortion was sor of "built in". I'm trying all sorts of weird stuff to "hide" the distortions.

• Jambrains
  • Chef de Partie

• more
Ok updated my master mix (lowered the hi-hat in volume and gave the kick drum some extra energy)... --> https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/neverminetokeepmixmaster5/s-INhVp
Better? MM
Yep, that was better. Much better actually  ;D

xx
Never mine to keep - Collab Jambrains/MartiMedia

Started by Mar T. on Collaborations

85 Replies
Last post October 16, 2015, 21:08:33
by Jambrains
moved
MOVED: Never mine to keep - Collab Jambrains/MartiMedia

Started by fischermans on Songs for review

0 Replies
Last post December 21, 2015, 21:30:25
by fischermans
xx
A very old song of mine

Started by fischermans on Songs for review

4 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 21:44:15
by Wicked Deeds
xx
You Are A Good Friend Of Mine

Started by JimByrne on Live performances

8 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 04:28:01
by Goatrelated
xx
Hands off (she's mine) - Jambrains and Zedd collaboration :)

Started by Zedd on Songs for review

31 Replies
Last post July 01, 2016, 00:26:26
by Mar T.