• New member! A song called "Drive".
  • Started by Kellyanneg
Re: New member! A song called "Drive".
Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 18:43:34
@LePlongeur...thank you!! And, as many hats as you desire!   It's your show. ::Hoss::
Do what makes your heart sing :)

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 22:07:57
    • Duiven
    • http://twitter.com/MartiMediaSC http://www.facebook.com/MartiMedia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEBmQkchurQ https://soundcloud.com/martimedia
  • more
Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 02:20:40
Hey @Kellyanneg , now that sounds beautiful! Looooove the chord progressions, and what a voice! Damn!
I love the dynamics in your singing voice.. You can sing softly and loud. My 2cts would be to try to sing more to the soft side and keep the loud (vibrato) parts to really surprise the audience..  But hey that's terrible advice.. Most important is that you ecpress the song in your own unique way. Truely enjoyed listening!!

Cheers!
Mar T.
:mart:

Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 03:47:47
@Mar T. Well thank you so much!! I think it sounds like great advice and will give it a try! I love to hear advice and perspectives of others. To me theyre like stepping stones to getting better. Thank you for the listen!

• Layerson
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Today at 08:32:11
    • Sweden
  • more
Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 10:55:36
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 14:43:11 by Layerson »
Hi @Kellyanneg and a big welcome to the forum.   :thumbsup:

I love this song  :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: and it comes through in a majestic way even if, as you mentioned it, the audio quality isn''t quite up to par.

It's definately a great song, and if you want to to improve on the audio quality ,which is understandeable, you're in luck because the current "digital recording revolution" has made this a lot easier. What I mean to say is that with very small means you could accomplish this but it requires a little knowledge about computer software (commonly referred to as DAW or digital audio workstation - but it is software and it's availabe for free...it just comes in some different flavors ) an external usb-soundcard and a microphone.

I would say that the gear you need, apart from a computer of some sort, is a condensator microphone and a decent soundcard. This stuff doesn't have to be new, but the good thing is that it is often bundled and you could get this for around 200 dollars or less.  Something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/p/PreSonus-AudioBox-96-Studio-U3sh041804-Interface-Microphone-Headphones/13003926012?iid=263074504218

Apart from this, if your keyboard doesn't support midi output, you'll need some kind of midikeyboard. In the DAW software you could then use a plugin, synth or piano and just record the midi for it, that will remove any need to record an external keyboard.

Now, I'm not aware of your budget and how much you'd wanna spend, so you could get all of this pre-used, there are even used bundles available on say Ebay or your local marketplaces, or you could get a cheaper soundcard (...as long as it is external usb and has phantom power 48v for a condensator mic). It's a matter of how much you wanna spend, but I'd recommend what's available in a music-store, they could help you and should be able to explain the differences.

Just by getting some gear and recording it digitally this song will probably sound a lot better and as a bonus you could get someone to help you with mixing if that is needed. You won't be so much dependent on having a great room for recording, it is very possible to get good results even without a studio.

I know, this is a bit of a hill to climb, but there are endless resources and free stuff online to help guide you, as well as all the good folks in this forum.

(There is also the option of buying an external recording device of some sort, but I'd recommend the above mentioned approach instead)

Hope you find my suggestions are helping you and make this song of yours even greater. (All I want is to make great music available and if you find this to be too much info, plz just ignore me  ;) )

::Rachel::
/Micke
Layerson (a.k.a. Mikael Lagersson)

Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 11:44:36
@Layerson  hello and thank you, for the compliment, and for that awesome information! I will write that down and look into it for sure. That song is one of my favorites to play. The girl it's about (future daughter-in-law) is coming back from N. Carolina soon and I wrote it for her. But I'm very appreciative of you taking the time to listen and to share that knowledge. If I can get the recording part down, I'd feel more confident too. I really struggle with the electronics end of it.Thank you so much!
Kelly

Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 13:43:13
Hi,

I rather like that raw live sound.  Great playing,and vocals and I like the drama of the song. 

I have listened to a couple of your other songs and can see you are also a accomplished guitar player, you have a new follower.

Thanks

David

Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 14:11:05
@DavidHutton Thank you and got ya followed back!  Your song "Numb" is full of emotion, and I love the sound of your guitar.  Your chord progressions add a lot of emotion - great tune!

• smajor
  • Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter

• May 06, 2019, 01:10:44
    • Kingman, Arizona USA
    • https://soundcloud.com/smajor1
  • more
Reply #22 on: March 29, 2019, 01:39:24
Hi @Kellyanneg ,

That is one  damn powerful song. Part of it is in knowing the backstory, maybe you could include this in a short intro?

It works regardless.

Again. I'd suggest a copy of Audacity (free) and an inexpensive USB microphone for the next step in your audio journey. Play around with those things. You've got the guts of what make songs memorable. You just need to bring it to fruition.

We're rooting for you.

Later,
Stan

I'm a lyricist seeking music writers to work with.

Reply #23 on: March 29, 2019, 12:18:21
@smajor hello! And thank you very much. Yes I've got audacity now and have begun reading tutorials and watching videos etc. @Layerson has shared great recording advice and suggestions which I'm hoping to apply over time. Knowing what I need to do gives me direction, and I'm so appreciative of the support and kindness from this group.  As for the song, Skylar has taken a lot on, made mistakes along the way as we all do, but held steady (full time work, school, by herself in another state and young, has times where she cries wanting to be home but knows it's best to finish, and of course there's heartbreak in the mix) and is due home this summer. So proud of her. But anyway, the song is definitely one I'd love to tidy up.  Nice to meet you, and thank you!

• DonMar
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• May 21, 2019, 09:19:26
    • Delft, Netherlands
  • more
Reply #24 on: March 29, 2019, 13:42:12
Glorious chord changes, and what marvellous vocals! The song was a treat to listen to. If nothing else brought Skylar home, that song certainly would!  :D

Donna
Honour the earth. Without It, we'd be nowhere. - D.D.

Reply #25 on: March 29, 2019, 16:59:22
@DonMar hello and thank you so much! We are looking forward to her return!  :pompom: