• Poissonier
  • Musical Polygamist

• March 28, 2019, 00:34:13
    • Carbondale, CO
  • more
New tune: Do What You Do
on: February 11, 2019, 05:00:38
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 05:03:20 by Knate »
Hey all, not much music writing or recording in my life lately, but I found some time this weekend to mess around with something new.  I usually write on my guitar or bass, but one of the guitarists in my 90's cover band is using it.  Without a guitar, writing on the bass felt like spinning my wheels in the mud a bit.  I decided to go all electronic instead and dust off the beat pad and keys. 

This actually came together very quickly, to my surprise.  I just started building the opening beat and went from there.  2 days later, here I am.  There wasnt any song I had written that I had in mind here.  Just let new ideas come into play and let the song build up organically.  Im pretty happy with it.  I think I need to spice up the ending somehow.  I dunno.  Let me know what you all think.  Have at it!   :blackgrin: :blackgrin: :blackgrin:

https://soundcloud.com/knate-official/do-what-you-do-1

Do What You Do

Have you ever felt the sting
of this crazy world and what it brings
catching knives from every side
while we try our best to dig the ride   

They put us down and run us around
They sit up high and bleed us dry
And never give us any honest answers why

So do what you do
And when you do
Do what you Wanna Do

Flick a switch, they make us twitch
They want to hear us cry and bitch
manipulation multiplies
Our thoughts are all their gloried lies

Dont put us down, dont run us around
Go f*** yourself, you wont keep us down
We gonna make up our own god**** minds

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 08:24:22
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Re: New tune: Do What You Do
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 10:51:28
Nice piece of work @Knate !
Specially the driving bass is pushing the song along.
Id never guess that there is a sting oriented musician at work.

I could easily get used to this kind of quality.
Kind regards, Gus

• Mutrins
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• February 12, 2019, 11:09:17
  • more
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 12:03:13
@Knate this is awesome!!!

So unique...it sounds like your own style. love hearing things go in an unexpected way.

The bass is INSANE in this.

Love the chorus.

This song is...in one phrase...cool as fuck.

Nice!!!

Micky

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 20:18:00
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 13:43:41
This is very cool stuff, Knate.

This tune has ATTITUDE!!!!!!

i agree with Micky @Mutrins about that bass line. Damn, man!!!! that thing bites HARD!!!

I'm hearing a little 21st century Gil Scott-Heron. Really good stuff.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 21:35:36
@Knate

Great track with a well-known style transformed with modern sounds full of strength.

Maybe
"So do what you do
And when you do
Do what you Wanna Do"

Is it repeated too much?

Good production and very good sound.
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
My Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow
My Vimeo Songs of Thought channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moraamarolaloba
My Vimeo Downtempo channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moramarolalobadowntempo

• Knate
  • Poissonier
  • Musical Polygamist

• Carbondale, CO
  • more
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 22:57:24
@Mutrins @Leonard Scaper @LePlongeur Thanks so much, guys!  Im really glad you liked it.   Its pretty easy to be really insecure when you go out on a limb and get way out your comfort zone lol. 

I am really happy with how that bass turned out.  The Tyrell N9 synth might be the best free plug-in ever.  Just NASTY bass sounds.  I ran it through an SSL Buss comp and my jaw dropped.  SO. DAMN. HEAVY. I. LOVE. IT.  Obviously, I will be saving these settings  :dance:

@Mora Amaro La Loba   Yes, it absolutely too repetitive.  Inhad mentioned in my OP that I thought I needed to jazz up the outtro and you hit the nail on the head as to why.  I decided to add a subtle little bluesy harmony to the chorus to spice that up and remove the vocals from the heavy groove after the first piano break and put in a lead synth melody as a "solo" for a couple bars.  Ill bring the vocals back after that for the finish.

Ill post the update when I get it done  :thumbsup:

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• July 21, 2019, 01:12:43
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 12:41:21
Hey @Knate ... for some reason when it started I was back to playing games on my old Commodore 64. Quite 8-bit in sound. :-)

Great to hear you doing something out of your comfort zone.  You next trick is integrating that bass sound in with your guitar for another track and seeing what happens then.

Late to the party on this one so I will wait until you repost and hear your tweaks.

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::

"Love and Life is all about connections"

Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 13:01:31
I think the spice you might be looking for might be found by layering some vocals on the chorus.  Love the sounds and the groove. If I had to identify what I think is the weakest part of this, I'd say it's the top-lining of the verses, which though not necessarily forced, just come across as standard blues/rock phrasing - almost like an afterthought. If there were a hundred thousand ways to sing that lyric over that groove, this one sounds like # 42,077.  It's great, but it just doesn't stand out from the crowd for me.  On suggestion that comes to mind might be to break up the phrasing to make it sound more contemporary.  Also, try using different dynamics in places to give it some motion.  Just spit-balling.  As much as I love the bass on this, I wonder that doing the same with that would really put this over the top.. Make it stutter in places.

Great stuff.

• Knate
  • Poissonier
  • Musical Polygamist

• Carbondale, CO
  • more
Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 23:29:06
@MrBouzouki  @M57   Thanks for your thoughts guys!  I hadt though of the video game angle but it definitely fits!  My initial thought was of some secret agent/007 type of feel .  Cool that those vibes have shown through unintentionally .  I would like to try this rhythm section style out on a more rock oriented tune.  I always struggle with that aspect of recording so that might be a nice shortcut around while adding a stylistic touch.  I like it!

I was messing around with layering the chorus last night.  It didnt work out like I heard in my head, but Ill keep plugging away at it.  The verses though, were not an easy write.  Usually I find melodies I like very quickly, but this one was a chore.  I couldnt get away from phrasing along with the rhythm, which is something I really dont like doing.   What I ended up doing was writing the lyrics first, which I NEVER do, and finding a flow that works with them.   Admittedly, Im missing your meaning on breaking things up to be more contemporary though.   Contemporary isnt something I typically shoot for.  The blues/rock styling is definitely my forte though, so perhaps I dipped into more comfortable territory to get verses that I like, which is important because Im super picky with how the vocals are written and phrased.   

I really appreciated the input, fellas!

• Knate
  • Poissonier
  • Musical Polygamist

• Carbondale, CO
  • more
Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 20:48:07
Update:   Added lead synths to the end.  Still not exactly what I want from the solo-like parts, but its barking up the right tree.  Also panned the vocals around some for dynamics.  Discovered that I was singing the chorus incorrectly.  Should sound like the pre-solo line.   Ill get that fixed soon

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.  Thanks!!! :praise:

https://soundcloud.com/knate-official/do-what-you-do-1

• Marcus Nalgaber

Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 13:50:30
I like rebellion
I think it's a daring job
Congratulations  ::thumb::

Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 14:36:30
Admittedly, Im missing your meaning on breaking things up to be more contemporary though.   Contemporary isnt something I typically shoot for. 
Yeah, I was being vague somewhat on purpose because even I don't know what I mean.  What does contemporary phrasing mean anyway?  I guess what I'd be looking for are melodic turns and twists that aren't as reminiscent of the iconic rock/blues phrasing of the 60's and 70's. For a song like this, I would be looking to tap into the phrasing of contemporary "pop" singers in my search for the right mix of 'spices.'   Sorry, it's probably advice that lies on this side of worthless, but it's all I got for now.

Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 01:18:22
Hi @Knate  I was just listening to and reposting this song today.

It's really cool actually. I like it a lot.

Slight issue: I love obscure music and strangely enough your chorus sounds a lot like a song by this crazy band out of Detroit. That's not a bad thing really... I loved their song too! I could DM you a link to their song and if you're still working this one you might want to adjust your chorus melody.   

I mean realistically every combination of notes has been used at some point. I don't know if you are still going to work on this or if it is just an experiment?

I say you should keep going with this.

Good show.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

xx
Another new tune

Started by TheGainsExperiment on Songs for review

2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2018, 14:55:11
by TheGainsExperiment
xx
The Power - new tune

Started by jameshargreaves on Songs for review

14 Replies
Last post June 22, 2018, 09:23:20
by Introverse77