• Started by MichaelA
  • MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• May 25, 2019, 23:43:29
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
  • more
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 18:24:47 by MichaelA »
Hi Kitcheners! Looks like I will be busy-busy over Christmas, so I've made myself get on with my competition entry relatively early. This one actually started out as a re-work idea. Then I changed the chorus completely. Then I changed the original verse completely. Then the mid8 was entirely wrong for this new format - so that got binned. So it got to the point where it was no longer a retro re-work but simply an entirely new song! Mmmm - bit frustrating, but an interesting creative process for sure.  ::)

Anyhow, I then decided to rewrite the lyrics entirely as well making it a travel song - of course, of sorts anyway. Well the main character in the piece has had a bit of a misspent life and here we find him waiting at the station for...oh no, wait for it - the night train to Hell! Very dramatic, I bet you can hardly wait!  ;D

So here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/michael-a-duffy/night-train-to-hell

Lyrics:

The Night Train to Hell

So it seems my time of reckoning might be here
Waiting at the station now, too late to shed a tear
Though what was done was done and debt must be repaid
I hope this nightís Express can somehow be delayed

The night train to Hell

Oh Lord,
Donít let me hear that bell
If thatís my seat waiting
On the night train to Hell

Could have tried somehow to find a way more true
People got hurt, but all those wrongs I canít undo
And in the darkness now my life plays back so slow
I could have tried to be a better man, yeah I know

Oh Lord,
If thatís my seat waiting

Oh Lord
When love turns to hating

Night train / Night train

RPT Chorus

But if you think I can be saved
I'd better pray now
Pray now
I'd better pray
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

Re: 'Night Train To Hell' - Retro/Travel Competition entry
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 21:16:12
sounds good! gospel undertones. Suits this time of year.
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 10:29:46
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 21:53:21
I like the soundtrack to this journey. It is a bit of a departure for you and really works for the song. I LOVE the vocal effects that you have in some spots.........getting those words echoing off into the distance very effectively.

This tune is definitely a classic lament.

Wow....very cool ending!
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 23:14:02
You know, @MichaelA , I think I've taken this train.

I especially like the bass line.

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 10:34:31
Hi @oorlab , well I hadn't thought of the 'gospel' angle, but yeah I do like that! I expect some of the 'sinners' in the kitchen could do with a bit of gospel in their lives. See, I'm providing a useful free spirituality service here, I do hope folks appreciate that!  ;D

Hey @Leonard Scaper,  'classic lament' cool, I am happy with that. Yes I finally found a song where I can play with echo dials and people are less likely to complain! Make sure you say your prayers tonight though, repent thy indulence in compression oh sinner!  ;D

@Vince, glad you picked up on the bass as it's one of my favourite elements, even though it is down there in the background. Yes I can imagine you have been on this train. You have the perfect voice for it. Maybe I should have borrowed your gravelly vocals for this, as I am sure you could indeed play the fallen sinner admirably! ...but you just keep saying those prayers also my friend and you still may yet be saved! Or beware, you may be reincarnated with a falsetto voice - and then what would you do?;)

All Kitcheners, here endeth my morning lesson. Now go forth and multiply. (Songs, that is!)  ::thumb::

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 10:29:46
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 13:32:30
Make sure you say your prayers tonight though, repent thy indulence in compression oh sinner!  ;D

And I say unto you.......compress your sins and you shall be forgiven.  ;D

Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 14:47:44
@MichaelA   It may have been the train to New York city, it's sometimes hard to tell the difference.  ;D

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 15:24:18
Super smart replies there @Leonard Scaper and @Vince! Welcome to the Kitchen Best One Liner thread!  ;D

• Goatrelated
  • Chef de Partie

• Yesterday at 08:35:13
    • Kwadalumpor
  • more
Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 12:59:40
Wonderful!
:goatie:
also a goat understands a joke

Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 00:19:41
You know @MichaelA I kind of wanted this track to be humorous with this title .... but it's really not funny at all. ( Long story... but I used to play with a group doing contemporary jazz etc.. and as a joke we did a weird screamo thing called "hell train" at our rehearsals  :)  ....silly)

This is actually somehow realistic, believable and depressing ... in a good way of course!  :)   Nice track. Cool ending!
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 11:56:33
Thanks for the encouragement @Goatie  ;D

Well @Bill from November Sound, so sorry you were hoping for a humorous rendition. I do hate to disappoint the listener, so maybe I will record a song called 'The Dog Ate MY Tuner On The Night Train To Hell'! That should do the trick!  ;D

Actually thinking about it, I maybe should have entered 'The Dog Ate My Tuner' into this competition instead, as once Kitcheners start casting their votes with gay and drunken abandon in festive mood, well it probably would have won!  ;D (And everyone would have regretted it in the morning!)

Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 17:33:53
Hey @MichaelA ... dark and interesting - I love the instrumentation and rhythm of this... I'm just starting to explore the competition entries (although I believe I listened to this when you first posted but didn't have time to post) and this is another strong contender I think...

Really enjoyed this and it gets stronger as it progresses.. Fantastic work sir! Really great... I think you explore this style further... it really suits you!

Karen

• blue2blue
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Bard of Bitterness, Denial & Regret

• March 29, 2018, 17:46:00
    • Long Beach, CA, USA
    • @tkmajor https://www.facebook.com/tkmajor https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyOhl2OB680TmlUMjsKhosw https://soundcloud.com/tkmajor
  • more
Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 19:39:56
This won me over with its super-moody, morose, drifting sound and mood. I ended up loving the evocative (if not exactly operatic) vocal... it fit nicely with the wandering arabesques of the dark wave synth backup. I like the title, too... although somehow it evoked to me more of a dark, minor key R&B or blues rocker -- think grindy, gritty horns and a classic 'train' rhythm. BUT that 'misdirection' -- for me -- actually made me really appreciate the very different approach you actually used.

I found it quite effective, evocative. Moody as hell.

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 13:12:38
Thanks @Zedd. I know it's a bit different in style to some of my recent songs, but I do think of myself as a songwriter rather than an artist performer, so don't think that matters particularly . And I did enjoy working in this style, and yes I may well do again! ...that'll teach ya!  ;)

That's a very well written critique @blue2blue. If my song were a paperback novel I would ask your permission to quote you on its back cover! Appreciated, cheers!  ;D

Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 17:29:16
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 23:43:34 by DanJames »
I like this- probably my favourite song of yours now. Mesmerizing bass line and haunting vocals. Nice production too- every word is crystal clear.

My only 'constructive' feedback would be on the length- I would have enjoyed the song just as much, perhaps even more if it had faded out at 3.10. But thats coming from someone's who doesn't really listen to lyrics!

Good luck in the competition!

Dan

xx
retro rework and / or travel song competition entry (warning: instrumental)

Started by Dutchbeat on Songs for review

16 Replies
Last post January 14, 2018, 12:23:00
by LePlongeur
xx
Angel from Amsterdam - Travel song/Retro rework comp entry

Started by Mar T. on Songs for review

19 Replies
Last post January 14, 2018, 03:46:39
by CrystalSuzy
xx
Fat Boy.....Retro/Travel Competition

Started by Leonard Scaper on Songs for review

40 Replies
Last post February 03, 2018, 13:54:23
by nicetalkintoya
lamp
Travel Song/ Retro Rework Competition

Started by Rewboat on Songs for review

19 Replies
Last post January 14, 2018, 09:01:16
by Rewboat
xx
The 'Travel Song' AND/OR 'Retro Rework' competition - Please join!!

Started by Mar T. on Challenges

68 Replies
Last post January 01, 2018, 05:16:13
by Mar T.