• Started by 1roomstudio
  • 1roomstudio
  • Poissonier
  • Hearing is Believing 😎

• December 05, 2019, 17:57:10
  • more
Old Country Song WIP 17
on: December 01, 2019, 22:41:18
OK... Added some backup vocals, pulled back the Electric Guitar and added a little delay and separation ... along with with lots of incessant,  overly obsessive compulsive tweaking.

Vocals might still be hidden a bit here and there... and I'm thinking about adding a volume automation to the Master  Track in order to create a ramp from beginning to end... in order let it build... dunno.... that might be a lame way to get there... thoughts? ::Hoss::

https://soundcloud.com/1roomstudio/old-country-song-wip-17-kitchen/s-Bkkyy

OLD COUNTRY SONG
05/29/16 Elkwood Bar
                                                                                           6/8

On a long desert highway on a dark lonely night              Cmaj7        Em7
When you need miles behind you before the daylight
Your eyelids grow weary in the light of the moon
Desperately in need of an old country tune                      Cmaj7          Em7   Dsus4

I get love and mental health tips reggae n' Jesus             D           Am
I know all of these stations are trying to please us           D           Am
I get electronic musings and the jazz is confusing            D           Am
I need stimulation to stop me from snoozing                      D           Am   Dsus4

I get bootleg Dead concerts and I listen for a while        Cmaj7            Em7
Sometimes a little country creeps into their style
But the Dead don't bring comfort like a sad lonesome tune
When Hank Williams paints clouds on the face of the moon    Cmaj7         Em7  Dsus4

Hypnotized in the dark the white line keeps the beat              G           C
You can tap on the dashboard but you can't tap your feet
In the desert in Nevada the roads are so long
              G                                             F       F                    C            Em7
I'm just looking for a station with an old             country song

I get static n' silence rock rap n' violence
Piano concertos n' opera galore
I've been fiddling a while with the radio dial
I'm beginning to think I can't take any more

I get local news daily n' talk shows about cars
I get talkshows about aliens from Mexico and Mars
Headlights in the distance shoot up to the sky
Another UFO is passing me by

Hypnotized in the dark the white line keeps the beat
You can tap on the dashboard but you can't tap your feet
In the desert in Nevada the roads are so long
I'm just looking for a station with an old country song

Re: Old Country Song WIP 17
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 00:22:47
@1roomstudio A song in the style of Crosby Stills and Nash. I am not so very much into folk music, although I quite appreciate it. So, I am not sure about the lyrics. You start with On a dark desert highway, which is the famous line by The Eagles. Just wondering, did you lard the song with other titles or phrases from radio tunes?

If I remember correctly, you posted this one before, didn't you? Is this an update?

The song works very well, and you have a voice that is creaky almost like Willie Nelson's. It does very well for his songs, and the same works here. Great idea to post the chords.
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

• 1roomstudio
  • Poissonier
  • Hearing is Believing 😎

• more
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 07:16:45
@1roomstudio A song in the style of Crosby Stills and Nash. I am not so very much into folk music, although I quite appreciate it. So, I am not sure about the lyrics. You start with On a dark desert highway, which is the famous line by The Eagles. Just wondering, did you lard the song with other titles or phrases from radio tunes?

If I remember correctly, you posted this one before, didn't you? Is this an update?

The song works very well, and you have a voice that is creaky almost like Willie Nelson's. It does very well for his songs, and the same works here. Great idea to post the chords.

Thank you for the Feedback @Pleudoniem  yes I posted an acoustic version of this a while back... and at least one or two other WIPS... itís been a long haul, working in this one.

You made the same comment about the first line and I responded something like this... my opening line is ďOn a long desert highway...Ē not the same as in Hotel California, but close enough... and no conscious intention of referencing the Eagles....  however, the song does intentionally reference the Grateful Dead (3 times, twice in the lyrics and once in the use of the Dmaj chord to pivot to different modes) and also mentions Hank Williams.... and numerous musical genres. The whole song is built around a list of such references.

Yes this is an update... of sorts. The first post was looking for feedback on the song in general. Since then Iíve been asking for feedback on the arrangement and the mix.

And yes I was (am... I guess) much influenced by Crosby, Stills, Nash AND Neil Young (another creaky voice that somehow works) and I appreciate the Willie Nelson comparison.... but Iím frankly a little jealous that you are rockiní that David Byrne aesthetic...😎

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 19:11:45
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 14:42:57
I would consider bringing the vocals up globally and then doing some volume automation to bring out the details. Listen to the percussion and make sure that your vocals are at least that loud.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 17:55:15
Helo @1roomstudio

I think the mix goes well, may be the guitar, at some moments, could song a little strong but it's not important...
This classic has the difference of the subtle colors given by the sounds appearing here and there... And the lyrics portray perfectly the scenes and the landscapes, so full of emptiness.
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
My Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow
My Vimeo Songs of Thought channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moraamarolaloba
My Vimeo Downtempo channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moramarolalobadowntempo

• 1roomstudio
  • Poissonier
  • Hearing is Believing 😎

• more
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 00:12:58
I would consider bringing the vocals up globally and then doing some volume automation to bring out the details. Listen to the percussion and make sure that your vocals are at least that loud.

Thank you @Leonard Scaper  for that confirmation. I've been doing just that with the vocals in comparison to the electric guitar... during that time i also EQed the drums and brought them up a bit. Good suggestion to now take one more round of bringing the vocals up in comparison to the drums.

And yes... the devil is in the details!

• 1roomstudio
  • Poissonier
  • Hearing is Believing 😎

• more
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 00:20:29
Helo @1roomstudio

I think the mix goes well, may be the guitar, at some moments, could song a little strong but it's not important...
This classic has the difference of the subtle colors given by the sounds appearing here and there... And the lyrics portray perfectly the scenes and the landscapes, so full of emptiness.

Thank you @Mora Amaro La Loba for that observation about "...colors...here and there..." This is my natural approach.... even when attempting a piece with  well defined structure there is a part of me that cannot resist jamming... even if only a little.  ::e-guitar3::

Also thanks for the compliment about the lyrics... this is a scenery and an experience with which I am very familiar. 

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• December 09, 2019, 22:58:53
    • Sydney, Australia
    • https://www.facebook.com/drivingsouthband/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCygXcTLN2FroxhUQM_90J6Q?view_as=subscriber https://soundcloud.com/user-386444683
  • more
Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 02:17:00
This is progressing very nicely @1roomstudio

I like the song a lot and song idea and words are great.

One of the guitars - the one doing little frilly bits seems to loud to me (on headphones) and is overshadowing the vocals in places.

Other than that it sounds pretty good to me

cheers

• 1roomstudio
  • Poissonier
  • Hearing is Believing 😎

• more
Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 05:37:04
This is progressing very nicely @1roomstudio

I like the song a lot and song idea and words are great.

One of the guitars - the one doing little frilly bits seems to loud to me (on headphones) and is overshadowing the vocals in places.

Other than that it sounds pretty good to me

cheers

Yes @Jurgen ... Iím realizing that every time I bring in a new track I have it too loud for a while. I think I fixed that before soft releasing it today. Iím not sure I fixed everything but Iím happy with the song, the production and most of all what I learned in the process.

Thank you all,...  :pompom: :praise: for your advice and encouragement.

Onward!  :dance: ...

Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 11:39:29
I think that the percussion/drums are too high in the mix and it takes away from the song. I want to hear your voice and the guitar at the front. It's a decent song, nice one

• 1roomstudio
  • Poissonier
  • Hearing is Believing 😎

• more
Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 17:03:40
Itís a good suggestion @realkevm   my son in law agrees with you... especially the ride cymbal. My old ears like to a hear a little of that sizzle.... and Iím a sucker for a loud snare hit.

I definitely brought the vocals up in the final mix.... hopefully that is a better balance with the drums.  I released to SC and BC and in the queue on RouteNote with an official release date of January 3rd.

I so much appreciate all of the encouragement and helpful suggestions from the forum.

So many songs... so little time.  8)

Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 12:32:08
 it has this lovely sound of the 70th recordings like  Hunky Dory (David Bowie)  is Running on empty with Jackson Brown, which is a good point in my book. The song is developing I guess and is has that much potential . I agree to  get back on the mix once again to get all the "musicians" in  1room.
OUR NEW CD BLUE LINE OUT NOW :
https://blueattitude.hearnow.com/

xx
Old Country Song WIP 16

Started by 1roomstudio on Songs for review

5 Replies
Last post November 26, 2019, 05:27:52
by 1roomstudio
xx
Old Country Song WIP 11

Started by 1roomstudio on Songs for review

4 Replies