• Rachel and MM - Sunlit Bloom - Input for Spring competition - Result!
  • Started by Mar T.
  • Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• November 15, 2022, 11:11:15
    • Duiven
  • more
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 20:24:50 by MartiMedia »
Hi all,

Rachel and I have been working on our spring competition entry, here's the result:

https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/sunlit-bloom

Sunlit Bloom

Let's walk into the sunlight
Hike across the hills
on a picnic full of thrills.

And take another stroll
into the blue
Hear the chirping birds
And whistle their tune.

Cos itís all I love,
And I canít wait,
So take me to the place
where I can escapeÖ

It makes me want to fly
It makes me want to dance so high
It makes me want to dream
It makes me want to float inside

Cling onto the path that leads me to you -
We can share a cake and a biscuit or two

Take a one way trip to the river of joy -
We can stop to see the earth flower and bloom.

Or spring will end too soon!

Letís swim into the magic,
Join the dolphinsí dance
Cos our dreams are meant to last

Unravel all the shades
As nature blooms
Let it paint our soul
With its brighter hues

Cos itís all I want,
And I canít wait,
So take me to the place
where I can escapeÖ

It makes me want to fly
It makes me want to dance so high
It makes me want to dream
It makes me want to float inside

Cling onto the path that leads me to you -
We can share a cake and a biscuit or two

Take a one way trip to the river of joy -
We can stop to see the earth flower and bloom.

Flower and bloom...
So take me to..

We'll be tweaking this version using your feedback (when possible at this stage) and release 31th of May.
This song (lyrics, chords, melody) is invented by Rachel, I composed and arranged the instrumental and sung some backvocals. I also took care of the mixing/production.
Rachel sketched the artwork for the track, great isn't it?

Cheers!!!
MM & Rachel
I'm proud of this track, check it out! https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

• Mitzi
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• January 26, 2018, 20:38:07
    • https://soundcloud.com/miriam-card
  • more
This is great, you guys! Very nice melody and feeling. @Rachel_D your voice reminds me a bit of Sarah Brightman. Very pure but emotional at the same time.

Well done you two!

• Jambrains
  • Chef de Partie
  • You ain't seen nothing yet..

• November 25, 2021, 22:53:53
  • more
Great work Rachel and MM!
Very good vocals (esp. Rachels) and overall very nice performance and crisp mix.
The only thing I don't like is the bass. Firstly (and maybe I'm making a complete fool out of myself if I'm wrong) but that ain't no real bass right? *holding my breath*. The sound of the bass don't sound right somehow. Secondly I find the bass line a bit to busy at time, like it was played by some fusion player on steriods straight out of Musicians Institute. Felt a little over the top somehow....
Was not too fond of the sax neither as well but then I never am (never quite recovered from Careless Whisper...)
Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart
My land's only borders lie around my heart

Nice one guys  :) the mix sounds pretty good to me :) Nice vocals @Rachel_D , although if I didn't have the words in front of me, I wouldn't have understood what you were saying, but just in a few places, and I thought "the earth flower" sounded a little crammed in  ;) Good luck  ::Suzy::

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 01:44:22 by MartiMedia »
Hey @crystalsuzy that might be my mistake, I have really tired ears, so I'll review and see what words need a boost in the mix ;-) Thanks for listening and commenting! ;-)

@Jambrains I'll review the bassline, thanx! Sax is not going to be better, indeed it's a Vst(i) I tried to emulate a real player, but if someone plays a real sax plz let me know! I'd be happy to switch the automated sax with a real one!

Gorgeous!!!

It's a lovely melody and great lyrics - I particularly like the meter and rythm in the choruses.

Rachel's songs always sound inviting and ethereal in her simple arrangements but I think this collab and the polished track MM has produced bring the song to another level.

Fantastic job!

Do agree about the vocal being a little unclear in a few places so I'm sure you will get to them.

Loved this!

Careless Whisper JB?! What problem could you possibly have with that song (oh maybe I should be posting on the guilty pleasures thread :-)!).

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 19:51:26 by MartiMedia »
Hi @Zedd , thanks for your kind words! Hahaha I looove 'careless whisper'..

Here's the next version, applied @Rachel_D 's backvocals to the ending of the song (combined with her singing a chorus again before the song fades).
Still have to review the bass-line, yes @Jambrains it's like someone on steroids (hahaha), but imo it fits this style. Anyone else agrees with JB?
I did alter the vocal treatment a bit, are the words Rachel sings better audible now? And how does her voice sound in this mix? Any suggestions?

Here it is:
https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/sunlit-bloom

• Jambrains
  • Chef de Partie
  • You ain't seen nothing yet..

• November 25, 2021, 22:53:53
  • more
Careless Whisper JB?! What problem could you possibly have with that song (oh maybe I should be posting on the guilty pleasures thread :-)!).
I don't have any problem whatsoever with that song @Zedd.
The sax in that song on the other hand...but then after all I have this thing with saxophones in general....

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• March 13, 2021, 22:55:23
    • Sydney, Australia
    • https://www.facebook.com/drivingsouthband/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCygXcTLN2FroxhUQM_90J6Q?view_as=subscriber https://soundcloud.com/user-386444683
  • more
i enjoyed this one a lot.

@Rachel_D vocals are great of course but I also like the bit at end (before the sax solo) where @MartiMedia  comes in with some harmonies. Really sounds good.

I read the other comments before I listened and was apprehensive about the sax solo but I liked it. It reminds me of a Spandau Ballet type sax.

Drums area also really good.

cheers

Jurgen

The moment at 2.45 and after...beautiful!!
Merry Christmas

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
This is great, you guys! Very nice melody and feeling. @Rachel_D your voice reminds me a bit of Sarah Brightman. Very pure but emotional at the same time.

Well done you two!
Sorry @Mitzi I seem to have missed your comment, thanks for listening and the compliment! Yeah @Rachel_D can sing can't she!

i enjoyed this one a lot.

@Rachel_D vocals are great of course but I also like the bit at end (before the sax solo) where @MartiMedia  comes in with some harmonies. Really sounds good.

I read the other comments before I listened and was apprehensive about the sax solo but I liked it. It reminds me of a Spandau Ballet type sax.

Drums area also really good.

cheers

Jurgen
Yes!! Finally someone who likes the sax!!! Haha, been tweaking a lot to make it sound a bit real, I think it works as well.. Thanks for the compliments about different aspects my friend!

The moment at 2.45 and after...beautiful!!

Hey @Goatie , yes we like that as well, we still have to tweak that a bit, but I'll upload new versions after a tweak when Rachel and I have some spare time to improve.. Thanks for listening and for your support!

Everybody else with useful suggestions: feel free to reply!

Cheers!
MM
:mm:

Thanks so much for your feedback everyone! :) I really appreciate your encouraging words! :)
Rachel  ::Rachel::
https://.com/rachel_debattista

• Siobhan Dakay
  • Poissonier
  • Sharing art is enabling culture

• July 22, 2017, 10:24:56
    • Munich
  • more
Hi MM & Rachel,

this is a great song. I like how it evolves
It is tickling in my fingers..... I partly agree to some other reviewers here the backtrack is a bit busy.
But wow the song is really working for me. :D

Cheers
Heiko

• Mitzi
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• January 26, 2018, 20:38:07
    • https://soundcloud.com/miriam-card
  • more
@MartiMedia Yes! You are so right. @Rachel_D has a gorgeous voice! I always have to write my comments in a hurry in between doing other stuff,  otherwise I would've gushed even more about both Rachel's voice and Marti's amazing talent! Just know that I'm thinking it even if I don't always have time to gush it!  :)

• Dutchbeat
  • Rest In Peace
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• February 23, 2021, 22:00:08
  • more
yes, this is fantastic in every Respect!

vocal and musicwise, this is super

what a collab...what a track!
and lovely backing vocals....and: Cheers! to you too @MartiMedia

me, myself, and Pie