• Retrieval - WIP thread (Lighthouse Keeper Project track 2)
  • Started by MrBouzouki
  • MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Today at 15:59:47
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 15:40:16 by MrBouzouki »
As I posted in the Lyrics section I'm expanding the Lighthouse Keeper track into a whole 'concept album' of songs.

The titles of the songs (subject to tweaking) are :-

1) Lighthouse Keeper
2) Retrieval
3) Space Dock
4) The Passenger
5) There's No Place Like Home

I've started work on track 2 - Retrieval - and last night I developed a musical sketch of the intro to this next part of the story.

In my head I had the listener almost swirling around the ominous bulk of the space lighthouse, a melancholy mood is hopefully reflected in the riff and also perhaps the vastness of space.
I might add swirling Fx / sounds in yet.

The lighthouse Keepers 'motif' is reprised but broken into two halves to try and give the idea of not all is well here.
Finally there is a cascade that brings in the signal sound of the lighthouse as the listener passes through the bulkhead into the inside.
This echoes what I did in the Lighthouse Keeper track itself so if following on from that track it's a musical clue. 

I tried to re-use some of the actual sounds from the Lighthouse Keeper itself in the intro to musically link the pieces. I'm hoping to change quite a bit further into the song but I wanted to
get the user quickly back inside without a big orchestral build-up. Also the contrast hopefully sets the mood of this piece.

Anyway I'm more after seeing if people think I'm on the right lines here. I know it's a long intro by modern standards but I don't care, it's Prog Rock ... lol

Nothing is balanced or anything as I'm not anywhere at the production stage yet and it's straight off my DAW so ignore the drone ending going on for ages.

<Link removed as no longer working>
"Love and Life is all about connections"

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 17:30:05
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Sketchbook Intro for Retrieval (Lighthouse Keeper track 2)
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 19:01:00
I like it....it works. It definitely had me feeling a little edgy and wondering just where I was headed.

I'll be following your progress with this.

:) :) :) :) :)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• May 25, 2019, 23:43:29
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 19:34:21
Good start on this. The music is very evocative of what the title suggests, as these retrieval things are often shot in kind of slow motion in movies - this would make a great soundtrack to something like that. A bit evocative of Bowie's Space Oddity towards the end there, but thankfully not too close - more of a mood thing with similar instruments probably.

I like all the space in it, sorry for the unintentional pun! It's also a striking contrast to your first completed track that you played us, so the 'concept' album is shaping up well with all this light and shade.  ::thumb::
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

• Jim
  • Chef de Partie
  • Weirdy Beardy

• April 27, 2019, 01:33:24
    • Nottingham, GB
    • https://soundcloud.com/jim-clark-17
  • more
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 20:18:37
Sounds great @MrBouzouki!!  ;D  Really evocative of a space drama...be interested in following its progression.  :D

Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 06:04:26
I vote YES!
Now, make those sounds orbit my head. It'll be so cool.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 08:07:43
This works. What you maybe could have in mind is the dynamics of the next track. I just listened to Lighthouse Keeper, and this. Overall, they are quite laid back. If next song would start with some drums and some higher bpm, then that would create more dynamics to the full album. They could come in during the fx. I am not thinking prog metal fast, but something more intense than previous two songs. Just a reflection. I did such thinking for a concept album which I am working on, and I actually got musical ideas from such angle of "how start song".

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 10:52:35
Thanks all. I've got a acoustic guitar patten now that I like to act as a base layer for the first part of the vocals, that I'm still working on.

Cheers @Bill from November Sound, I'm hoping to have a good look at stereo panning, placement for this so it will be a good technical challenge to see if I can get what's in my head into the music.

Cheers @Growingart - yes I wanted this to be a mood piece, with the depression and then relief as he is relived from his duty. The next song on the list is 'Space Dock' that I think will start slow and confused as he comes out of cryogenic sleep but then develop into a real city-vibe. A futuristic city in space. Like 'Deep Space Nine' on steroids. I'm thinking more bpm and hopefully the culture shock of being away from humanity for so long. Possibly quite electronic for me too so that's interesting musically. Will he be able to come to terms with the sensory overload of this bustling metropolis?

After that 'The Passenger' is the equivalent of being on an ocean-going liner in space. Lot's of futuristic distractions, but can he afford them? He didn't complete his term after all. Is there even money any more?
What happens to him on the journey I'm not sure but it almost needs to be a bit decadent as mankind uses the great Star Lanes to get from place to place.

Finally, 'There's No Place Like Home' (Wizard of Oz), is his return to where he lives. Probably not Earth, but who knows yet ? Something to explore perhaps is what has happened to Earth. Is is full, dead and a wasteland? I have in my minds eye him looking up into the sky and seeing at least two moons in the sky so Earth might be mentioned but not visited in this saga. 

Will he recover from his isolation and depression, or spiral down into despair ? Is home the same as it was ? Who knows yet. Even I don't ... lol

• Jim
  • Chef de Partie
  • Weirdy Beardy

• April 27, 2019, 01:33:24
    • Nottingham, GB
    • https://soundcloud.com/jim-clark-17
  • more
Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 11:12:55
Just imagining how this is going to sound (and the bits we've heard) makes me think it's going to be ace.  :D

Will he recover from his isolation and depression, or spiral down into despair ? Is home the same as it was ? Who knows yet. Even I don't ... lol

That's one of the things I love about story-telling...when I wrote The Chigwell Chrononaut it was produced over three sequential evenings (IIRC) and I "released" it episodically to some friends of mine, and until the final evening I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out.  :o

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 18:29:04
  • more
Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 15:31:39
all right, @MrBouzouki Bouzouki  ::thumb:: ::thumb::

to be honest, i have my reservations about space themes....since Major Tom and Bowie it seems hard to add to that...but this instrumental really grabbed me  and sucked me in, i also liked your first big piece for this (lighthouse keeper), but this sort of physiologically (!)  8) grabbed me....nice this
me, myself, and Pie

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 00:08:21
I quite understand your reservations @Dutchbeat - but you cannot stop the muse based on what has gone before.
All you can do is follow the path and see where it leads.

Sorry about the confusion but the little bit of music posted here, is a potential demo for the introduction to the second piece. It isn't an instrumental. ha ha
Yes I know it's a long intro. It is Prog Rock we are talking about here, harking back to an era when bands used to take one side of an LP for one song.
There will be words and it will be a song.

I'm looking forward to the next song 'Space Dock' when I go all electronic on you. I will depending upon your input to create a futuristic vibe.  ::Note::

• syl_a_med
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Drums/Guitar/Bass/ Keys/Vocals/Production

• March 17, 2019, 00:18:31
    • Halifax, Nova Scotia
    • https://soundcloud.com/voieces-band
  • more
Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 03:36:50
Nice lush tones here and good use of space and atmosphere. Looking forward to hearing the full album!

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Re: Retrieval - WIP thread (Lighthouse Keeper Project track 2)
Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 15:46:52
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 15:52:42 by MrBouzouki »
Well hear is the latest update and it's now turning into Space Opera meets Lord of the Rings.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

An early Xmas treat has given me the ethereal "Shevannai, the Voice of Elves" vocal VST library.

A perfect tool for composers and sound designers to create ambience and music for films, documentaries, video games and new age music. Unparalleled realism...Pure inspiration

Shevannai is a beautiful solo vocal library aimed at easily creating your own ultra-realistic melodies, without using any phrases. Thanks to over 4000 carefully recorded and wisely programmed samples by Eduardo Tarilonte, handling the 5 true legato types and 33 words, is intuitively easy.

I've used it to add a bridge from the intro and a haunting background legato ooo that works off a fairly staccato harp pattern. I told you it was a bit Lord of the Rings ;-)

I must admit I'm attached to the proggy synth sound. Amazing for me so far is that not a string has been plucked by me.  ::) ::) ::)

Vocals are due to go in this section before transitioning into another section of the piece. I wanted to go for a fairly melancholy sound and I had this high female voice in my mind. Not sure what Mr Bouzouki feels
about me having another woman in my studio  >:D >:D >:D

I've started doing some volume shaping, although not fully automated yet, and some stereo placement so it would be interesting to get some feedback on that.

https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki/lkp-retrieval-11122017-wip-master/s-zZzz4

xx
Retrieval - Lighthouse Keeper Project Part 2

Started by MrBouzouki on Lyrics

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2018, 22:08:54
by MrBouzouki
xx
Just a quick Lighthouse Keeper Project update

Started by MrBouzouki on Songs for review

3 Replies
Last post March 11, 2018, 10:19:08
by MrBouzouki
xx
LIghthouse Keeper YouTube video

Started by MrBouzouki on Other Arts

3 Replies
Last post November 30, 2017, 20:45:15
by Vince
xx
Lighthouse Keeper (16.5 min Prog Rock monster)

15 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 10:13:59
by MrBouzouki
xx
LK Project Part 2 - Retrieval - funky middle section

2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2018, 12:56:38
by Goatrelated