• realkevm
  • Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter

• Today at 03:38:16
    • Hull, UK
  • more
Sambas & Cigarettes
on: June 04, 2019, 12:34:25
Hello, here's my original song 'Sambas & Cigarettes' with some of Love Inc's 'Superstar' at the end (it's an early 00's dance song). I've started adding bits of other songs at the end of my own songs when playing live/practicing to try and be a bit different. I'd love to know what you think. Anyone who has heard my stuff before please let me know how you think my vocals are progressing oh and please the song itself.

Lyrics
You walk around
You leave a trail of broken hearts
It looks like love has finally
Torn you apart
A brand new coat of paint and
Is that a new dress?
Me i'm just the same
Sambas and cigarettes

Chorus
Everyday's a gift
That's why they call it the present
Did I mention i've been
Learning my lessons
From the greatest teacher this world had ever seen
When I think about you now it's few and far between

2nd verse
Come and say hello
Ask me hows my mum
Oh go on tell me all those things
You've seen and done
Your hair and smile well
They are just the same
The only thing that's changed
Is your last name

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 09:53:54
  • more
Re: Sambas & Cigarettes
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 19:49:25
very nice song @realkevm  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

and good lyrics...i like these lines....

"Everyday's a gift
That's why they call it the present"

in a song about cigarettes  ;D ;D ;D ;D
and Sambas

well done  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 14:54:11
Hello @realkevm   I really like your song.  Well written and you perform with passion. Your lyrics grabbed me before the listen. I like the lines of detail...the new dress, asking about your mum etc...it brings the listener in to your story. Well done!!  :pompom:
Do what makes your heart sing :)

Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 18:53:04
I listened a couple of times @realkevm - something I heard the first time & wanted to pause before saying:  you bring lots of feeling to this and to my ears that feeling sometimes sounds restricted . I`m no vocal couch, but I hear lots of throat/head in your voice and not alot of belly power ( can`t think of the correct term).
There are lots of rock singers who are huge with a similar sound ( Noel Gallagher?) I just think some phrases would come across  with more oomph by paying  attention to breathing /opening up your throat.
I can`t sing sitting down nearly as well as when standing and @LePlongeur  put out some excellent advice about posture recently that helped.
The song is good btw! Love the title image and sharp lyrics....oh, and the sweet kid cameo at the end.

Robert

• realkevm
  • Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter

• Hull, UK
  • more
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 22:00:22
Thanks @Dutchbeat i've had criticism elsewhere about those liens being too much of a cliche so i'm glad that you like them as I do :)

@Kellyanneg Thank you very much, very kind words :)

@robertkc Thanks for listening man. Some great pointers there, you're definitely correct about the standing up to sing. I have been 'letting go' a bit more on my vocals lately and almost found my true voice I think. Thank you for being so kind about the song.

Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 23:50:53
Hi Kev!

Nice song. I've been away from here for a while and your vocals have improved loads in that time. Keep at it!

Dan

• realkevm
  • Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter

• Hull, UK
  • more
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 23:53:02
Hi Kev!

Nice song. I've been away from here for a while and your vocals have improved loads in that time. Keep at it!

Dan
Cheers man, appreicated :)

• realkevm
  • Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter

• Hull, UK
  • more
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 14:58:50
Hi guys here's a newer live version, I think I pretty much nailed it here what do you think?

Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 17:03:30
The thing about you, @realkevm , is that you're making the videos and learning from them. You've accepted that you can make improvements and, yes, you're making improvements! Surprisingly or maybe not many live performing musicians can't or won't do that.

Singing for an audience with a camera running out there is, as you know, much different than singing right to the camera. So the first video has a nice intimate delivery ... with whispered passages and full dynamic range. The second/ most recent has a nice energy for a live performance.... it's solid. I notice your vocals are improving especially the ends of notes - you're holding them out better and not letting them drop in pitch as much.

Off topic here:
Does the Jazz Bar ever have jazz? Is there a piano in there?
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 17:59:17
You know @realkevm  it's like following a video diary. I see and hear great improvement. I agree with what Bill wrote. BTW, @Bill from November Sound  - inquiring about a piano and jazz bars?  Thinking about a world tour??   Wouldn't be the first American who went to England to get famous  ::smiley::

• realkevm
  • Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter

• Hull, UK
  • more
Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 18:03:54
Cheers @Bill from November Sound, no Jazz there i'm afraid, on a night it's usually loud dance music I think, the floor is always sticky on a Sunday afternoon I know that much :) Thanks for the kind words man.

@Vince Thank you, that's what i'm aiming for my youtube channel to be, like a way to follow my journey from well not having very good songs and being a poor bedroom singer to hopefully having amazing songs and performing on big stages around the world :) Thank you for taking the time to have a watch

Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 12:19:01
@realkevm Hello! You're very good at performing...comfortable and humble, yet you're passionate and fearless with each song. I'm terrified of public performance, and I see the ease you portray as learning and inspirational. I hear those improvements Bill mentioned as well...keeping the pitch/not dropping at the end of words, which also puts clarity on your lyrics, and you've got good ones. Great job!!!!

Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 15:46:15
Fine ... you know what @Vince  and @realkevm  ?  ... I'm gonna start a place called Classic Rock Bar and it's only going to have piano sonatas and string quartets, etc. If anyone complains I'll say-  See that bar? It's granite. Granite is a rock. We have classic music. Plus did you know that over in England they have Jazz Bars ... with no jazz?!?!  ???   :o  They started it.  ;) 

• realkevm
  • Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter

• Hull, UK
  • more
Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 08:32:34
@Kellyanneg Thank you so much!
@Bill from November Sound Go for it haha

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• September 18, 2019, 03:39:14
    • Sydney, Australia
    • https://www.facebook.com/drivingsouthband/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCygXcTLN2FroxhUQM_90J6Q?view_as=subscriber https://soundcloud.com/user-386444683
  • more
Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 01:35:08
Great performance @realkevm and a really good song.

You get a lot of emotion into your singing and I think that's what makes the songs. I'm new to singing and struggle to get that level of emotion and feel and your videos help me see/hear what I need to work on.

cheers

xx
Sambas & Cigarettes (live)

Started by realkevm on Live performances

12 Replies
Last post February 10, 2019, 23:08:13
by realkevm
lamp
Cigarettes & Dead Flowers

Started by AshBordeaux on Songs for review

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 12:29:10