• Started by CGHound
  • CGHound
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Today at 02:00:12
  • more
Selfish People
on: November 11, 2020, 08:29:37
I wrote this one  because of a couple bands I played  bass with a while back. 3 band killers are wives and girlfriends, egos and drugs. This is a congomeration of two bands and the ego tripping druggies in them. They were real assholes to the owner and she was a nice lady. She requested some songs and they were rude to her and refused. While they were on break getting high I grabbed an acoustic guitar and serenaded her with my version of John Denver's Annie's Song and Leaving on a Jet Plane. She swooned and we got paid. I felt so cheap.  ;D

https://soundcloud.com/user-316831637/selfish-people-mix-b

Selfish People

I played with  a band one summer. They thought they were hot.
Nobody had the hear to tell them, they were not.

I played with that band that summer at a place called the Cat & Mouse
Even the drunks were leaving but they thought they rocked the house.

Selfish people only hear the person staring back in the mirror.

The owner ask them to play her a song. The said they didn't wanna.
I found out boys get PMS from smoking marijauna.

I said we should play the lady her song cause it's the right thing to do.
But when it comes to dealing with normal people assholes don't have a clue

Selfish people won't deny the person they call I.

I said let's play one of my songs. They said no.
They didb't even wanna play one of my songs. The said it would ruin their show.
I said don't worry about that boys, It's only one little tune.
And I didn't have the heart to tell em, they had no show to ruin.

Selfish people only see the person they call me.

Sit behind your drum set with your honey blunt cigar
And know that you're the biggest F'n asshole in the bar
Splash on more Patchuli, smoke your clove cigarette
Continue on your ego trip and see how far you get
Do your back porch strumming and write your third rate songs.
And stay in Ego Valley where you belong.

Selfish people all excrete something called conceit.

Create!

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• Today at 01:38:45
  • more
Re: Selfish People
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 12:16:36
I really love this in a whole, @CGHound;D ;D Grat tune , great intention and great lyrics! It was fun to listen and did a big smile in my face  :D.

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 16:47:56
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 16:50:36
I donít know where you are from @CGHound , from which country or background.
But anyway, itís not my intention to be confrontational for the sake of it. Do you understand the Ďdevilís advocateí idea?

OK, here goes.
It resonates with me. I didnít stop gigging and being in a band for nothing.

But now that you have this off your chest, perhaps itís time to invest your unmistakable talent in writing about love (in any form), partying, the funny/pleasant things in life? To name a few?

Maybe listening again will smooth out the sharpest edges. So Iíll be back.
And I really believe you can do a lot with your talent and focus.
Keep on being creative!
Kind regards, Gus

• CGHound
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• more
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 23:13:18
But anyway, itís not my intention to be confrontational for the sake of it. Do you understand the Ďdevilís advocateí idea?

OK, here goes.

But now that you have this off your chest, perhaps itís time to invest your unmistakable talent in writing about love (in any form), partying, the funny/pleasant things in life? To name a few?

Keep on being creative!
Kind regards, Gus

Poetry and prose have been used to express and the good, the bad and the ugly. Selfish People is a report of some experiences I had when dealing with some not so nice people. In this case, after I left those bands they went through several other bass players and eventually folded.

I'm an American and a native New Yorker.  New Yorkers don't mince words and we don't take crap from people. My philosophpy is truth before harmony.  BTW, Americans from different parts of the country have different cultures. In the South the putdown is a sarcastic "Well bless his heart",  while in the Northeast it often involves flipping someone the bird or some other gesture.

Art is the creation of forms symbolic of human emotion.  My emotions about those guys were pity, disgust, anger and amusement. Band are like being in a marriage. During the courtship everyone is on their best behavior so you get drawn in and eventually the facade that you thought was real vanishes and you are left with  something else.  I think the song is a warning and it asks the question, how much crap is someone willing to put up with. On a side note, after I left, I found out that one of the guys was dealing drugs. In the US back then and stil today if you are caught in a car with someone with drugs the cops may arrest everyone. America can be quite fascist.

Phil Ochs was a big influence on me.  His song presented an unvarnished truth much in the tradition of Woody Guthrie.  The broadside ballad was an American tradition.  And  our patriotic song the Battle Hymn of the Republic was created initially as a marching song by Union troops as they marched South to free the slaves.  It was about the abolishionist John Brown.  Julia Ward Howe eventually wrote some very beautiful lyrics. Originally it was called John Brown's body.  Brown was a Calvinst and a preacher. Calvinstist believe in predestination as do I. I angered a lot of racist types at an open mic night in the South and got kicked out for singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

I don't write many happy songs cause I'm not a happy guy.  I hope my songs entertain but even more I hope they send an honest message.  This one was  about people to avoid.   I think there is some humor in it and I suppose it send a message of how to treat people with respect. They had no reason to make that lady feel bad and because I'm normal I saw the hurt in her face and I wanted to comfort her in some way. It was simply common decency. It was not heroic.

I wrote a song called Party but it's about getting out of a bad realtionship.  I wrote one called Angel that's about my girlfriend but like my other songs it describes as sadness and despair before I met her.  

In most stories the theme is either God's inhumanity to man or man's inhumanity to man.  I don't write love sappy love songs because I think they send a bad message and are more of a description of a chemical/hormonal reaction in the brain. Love is an ambiguous word. I see love as an action verb.

Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 23:19:40
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 23:23:19 by cheff daniel »
at first thought, funny song, not great but nice. on second? I understand where you coming from, but come on, its not worth it and just a poison in your mind.

• Knate
  • Poissonier
  • Musical Polygamist

• November 24, 2020, 16:42:10
    • Carbondale, CO
    • https://twitter.com/Knate_B https://www.facebook.com/KnateOfficial/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqy_LIRo5lDZvjDYEgjpYTQ https://soundcloud.com/knate-official
  • more
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 00:03:05

OK, here goes.

Keep on being creative!
Kind regards, Gus

Poetry and prose have been used to express and the good, the bad and the ugly. Selfish People is a report of some experiences I had when dealing with some not so nice people. In this case, after I left those bands they went through several other bass players and eventually folded.

I'm an American and a native New Yorker.  New Yorkers don't mince words and we don't take crap from people. My philosophpy is truth before harmony.  BTW, Americans from different parts of the country have different cultures. In the South the putdown is a sarcastic "Well bless his heart",  while in the Northeast it often involves flipping someone the bird or some other gesture.

Art is the creation of forms symbolic of human emotion.  My emotions about those guys were pity, disgust, anger and amusement. Band are like being in a marriage. During the courtship everyone is on their best behavior so you get drawn in and eventually the facade that you thought was real vanishes and you are left with  something else.  I think the song is a warning and it asks the question, how much crap is someone willing to put up with. On a side note, after I left, I found out that one of the guys was dealing drugs. In the US back then and stil today if you are caught in a car with someone with drugs the cops may arrest everyone. America can be quite fascist.

Phil Ochs was a big influence on me.  His song presented an unvarnished truth much in the tradition of Woody Guthrie.  The broadside ballad was an American tradition.  And  our patriotic song the Battle Hymn of the Republic was created initially as a marching song by Union troops as they marched South to free the slaves.  It was about the abolishionist John Brown.  Julia Ward Howe eventually wrote some very beautiful lyrics. Originally it was called John Brown's body.  Brown was a Calvinst and a preacher. Calvinstist believe in predestination as do I. I angered a lot of racist types at an open mic night in the South and got kicked out for singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

I don't write many happy songs cause I'm not a happy guy.  I hope my songs entertain but even more I hope they send an honest message.  This one was  about people to avoid.   I think there is some humor in it and I suppose it send a message of how to treat people with respect. They had no reason to make that lady feel bad and because I'm normal I saw the hurt in her face and I wanted to comfort her in some way. It was simply common decency. It was not heroic.

I wrote a song called Party but it's about getting out of a bad realtionship.  I wrote one called Angel that's about my girlfriend but like my other songs it describes as sadness and despair before I met her.  

In most stories the theme is either God's inhumanity to man or man's inhumanity to man.  I don't write love sappy love songs because I think they send a bad message and are more of a description of a chemical/hormonal reaction in the brain. Love is an ambiguous word. I see love as an action verb.

I disagree with those that suggest writing about happier subjects.  What you write about is a reflection of what is important to you, and how you feel about them is what drives your music to be its most heartfelt and sincere.  People are indeed selfish at their general core, but that is more human nature than a conscious decision to be that way.  But that doesnt mean that you cant or shouldnt react to that action in the way that you do. 

I applaud your upfront honesty though.  Thats not the easiest thing to do for many songwriters.  You have done it well too. 

Full disclosure, I havent had the chance to listen to the song yet, but the lyrical flow was natural and easy for me to catch the emotion behind it, and that makes the music part considerably easier.  I look forward to listening to it.  Well done.

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 16:47:56
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 06:42:12
Funny that you mention Phil Ochs.
I ran a record shop for an Amsterdam chain, on the Rembrandtsplein. Dead centre Amsterdam.
The only shop to sport the full (not out of print) Phil Ochs' catalogue.

I distinctly remember
- 'Phil Ochs' greatest hits - the front
- all new material - inside
- 50 Phil Ochs fans can't be wrong, Phil ŗ la Presley in a golden suit - the back of the cover

Self mockery as a weapon against the world. Then the artist does a step or two extra with his talent.
But hey, I was the devil's advocate. Don't let me get in the way of what you want to do.
Kind regards, Gus

• CGHound
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• more
Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 07:14:50
at first thought, funny song, not great but nice. on second? I understand where you coming from, but come on, its not worth it and just a poison in your mind.

Thank you Dr Freud.

You probably don't understand where that song came from or why I wrote it. A lot of band guys can relate to it. I wrote it for them. We all have stories about, club owners, agents,  groupies,  bar fights,  and  less than pleasant band mates on ego trips. If somebody wants pretty sappy songs, they have Barry Manilow.  Selfish people is a story song. George Harrison wrote My Me Me Mine and Lennon wrote Piggies which are about the type of people I described in Selfish People.  Carly Simon wrote the song You're So Vain about an asshole Warren Beaty she knew. Maybe it helped women detect a guy who would end up treating them badly. Carly also took the institution of marriage to task.

People can take whatever they want from it.  The other message the song has to do with respect.  I don't write songs to blow sunshine up people's butts or to make them feel good. I write songs to make people think. Maybe someone who is in a bad relationship with a malignant narcissist can relate as to it easily as musicians who have been disrespected by some jerk?  Maybe some guy on an ego trip can relate to Selfish People and reign in his behavior?

I wrote a songs about aggressive  groupies,  a political figure,  a drummer who left his wife passed out in a van while he went in the hose and did the babysitter. I don't write about the usual stuff.  I find most love songs nausiating, lame, and toxic.

A lot of my political songs anger certain people off. That's  why I write them. Here's an example of me lampooning hypocrites I don't pull any punches. If truth offends dishonest people, I've done my job.

If people want to write  shallow sappy stuff, fine, but it's not for me.    

• CGHound
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• more
Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 07:32:24

OK, here goes.

Keep on being creative!
Kind regards, Gus

I disagree with those that suggest writing about happier subjects.  What you write about is a reflection of what is important to you, and how you feel about them is what drives your music to be its most heartfelt and sincere.  People are indeed selfish at their general core, but that is more human nature than a conscious decision to be that way.  But that doesnt mean that you cant or shouldnt react to that action in the way that you do. 

I applaud your upfront honesty though.  Thats not the easiest thing to do for many songwriters.  You have done it well too. 

Full disclosure, I havent had the chance to listen to the song yet, but the lyrical flow was natural and easy for me to catch the emotion behind it, and that makes the music part considerably easier.  I look forward to listening to it.  Well done.

I appreciate what you wrote.

I learned long ago that opinions are like elbows,  everyone has a couple.  For me the aim any artist is what Shakespeare said, "To one's ownself be true.  Art is the creations of forms symbolic of human emotion. Words  get to the point faster than images or sounds.

There are people who are inner directed and some who are other directed.  My motivation is inner directed. When I hosted open mic nites I tried to make nervous performers comforable by telling them that what the were doing was important and that the only person with whom they should compete is themselves. We are all unique. There were people who struggled on their instruments or voice but they had a lot to say and a lot that needed to be said.   

Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 22:08:13
I like this song quite a bit @CGHound   :)
Not the swears mind you but the words, the story and the delivery.
This is so relatable to me and the music even sounds like a kind of a boogie bar cover band  ... but not quite as low quality.... but I hear the references. It's good.
I don't like the swears and don't think that's a good way to end the song but, obviously, you don't care and I probably don't fit your audience demographic.

I've played with plenty of bands like that and sometimes I wonder if non-American musicians can relate to this. I mean maybe they can a little but until you play at the Cat & Mouse while the drunks are screaming "you're out of tune!" at the lead singer, guitarist does something with the whammy bar that makes everyone sound out of tune and somebody on the dance proceeds to spray beer all over the drummer ..... you just can't know the embarassment.

I wrote a song like this but from the other angle .... the idiot club owners ... who tell you they're "booked up" for the next 17 years ..... and in a town where they "celebrate diversity" they exclusively hire old white men who sing and play the guitar. If I were a singer-songwriter I'd totally do it. But I'm not. My Melissa ssid she wouldn't sing it .... so I put it up here in the kitchen lyrics section and everybody said "No" not nice. You didn't ask permission so good for you.

Btw - I'm happy to see you becoming more active in our forum. We try to encourage polite and friendly song review ( a little different than some of the others foor sure.)
If you want the person to know you replied type
1. @
2. Starting typing the name ..... ie.bill from ...
3. Select the name from the pull down menu
4. Click it     .... then @Bill from November Sound will get notice that he was mentioned ... etc...

This is really helpful because people will see you are good about conversation and your threads will stay higher up in the section.

Okay, anyway ... cool song!
-11 ::Note::

Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• CGHound
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• more
Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 07:31:28
I like this song quite a bit @CGHound   :)
Not the swears mind you but the words, the story and the delivery.
This is so relatable to me and the music even sounds like a kind of a boogie bar cover band  ... but not quite as low quality.... but I hear the references. It's good.
I don't like the swears and don't think that's a good way to end the song but, obviously, you don't care and I probably don't fit your audience demographic.

I've played with plenty of bands like that and sometimes I wonder if non-American musicians can relate to this. I mean maybe they can a little but until you play at the Cat & Mouse while the drunks are screaming "you're out of tune!" at the lead singer, guitarist does something with the whammy bar that makes everyone sound out of tune and somebody on the dance proceeds to spray beer all over the drummer ..... you just can't know the embarassment.

I wrote a song like this but from the other angle .... the idiot club owners ... who tell you they're "booked up" for the next 17 years ..... and in a town where they "celebrate diversity" they exclusively hire old white men who sing and play the guitar. If I were a singer-songwriter I'd totally do it. But I'm not. My Melissa ssid she wouldn't sing it .... so I put it up here in the kitchen lyrics section and everybody said "No" not nice. You didn't ask permission so good for you.

Btw - I'm happy to see you becoming more active in our forum. We try to encourage polite and friendly song review ( a little different than some of the others foor sure.)
If you want the person to know you replied type
1. @
2. Starting typing the name ..... ie.bill from ...
3. Select the name from the pull down menu
4. Click it     .... then @Bill from November Sound will get notice that he was mentioned ... etc...

This is really helpful because people will see you are good about conversation and your threads will stay higher up in the section.

Okay, anyway ... cool song!
-11 ::Note::

America is diverse culturally  and calling someone an F'n A hole won't fly everywhere. It will in NY.  I get your point. Rap is loaded with F bombs and MF bombs. I wasn't  to concerned about  the use of that descriptive term for that drummer. If you met him you'd understand. The fact is when I joined that band I was replacing their bassplayer who quit because of that drummer.

I have so many band stories. Many are X rated.  I played with some great people abd some real wastes of protoplasm. The band I am most proud is was an Instrumental surf band called Voodoo Court. They release 6 albums and an EP. If you Google them you can find their music. I am good friends with  the founder of Voodoo Court,  guitarist Mark Kuhn.

Americans can be uncivilized. New Yorkers are very critical .  Southern audiences are kinder and the chicks are uninhibited. 

I grew up in the same area as Joe  Bonamassa. In fact one of my guitar player used to teach Joe when he was a kid. I've played with a guy who played with Joe when he was a kid.  I've had the pleasure of jamming with Cody Wright.  The area I was from had some great players and guys who made is such as Carmen Carmenica, Rick Kua, Frank Briggs and Joe Bonamassa. I was never in the same league as those guys and often I was playing catch up.  Bonamassa keeps getting better and better and he really is a great person. 

I was about to join a songwriter group just before COVID-19. I think this site works out well for songwriters and I'm hearing some really creative  music here from all over the world.

I appreciate your input.

Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 22:28:38
There are parts on the lyrics that made me smile because they portray situations that I have lived in relation to the behavior of the public and some bands !!! hahaha
I've had a great time listening to your song @CGHound

CuŪdate

Mora
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
https://vimeo.com/onacarom

• CGHound
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• more
Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 23:59:49
There are parts on the lyrics that made me smile because they portray situations that I have lived in relation to the behavior of the public and some bands !!! hahaha
I've had a great time listening to your song @CGHound

CuŪdate

Mora

I enjoy your music very much.  It is innovative, bold and important. 

People everywhere are pretty much the same.

Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 00:39:37
After reading all the responses to your song @CGHound  all I can say is wow,  you generated quite some chat.

I've never been good enough to be in a band, but I like your  song

Vince

• CGHound
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• more
Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 22:54:15
After reading all the responses to your song @CGHound  all I can say is wow,  you generated quite some chat.

I've never been good enough to be in a band, but I like your  song

Don't sell yourself short. Some of John Melloncamp's band mates didn't think he was good enough. I was playing catch-up with a lot of bands I was in. I was rarely the best player but I nearly every band I was in broke up after I left.  I never liked learning cover tunes or playing them "like the record:.  The cover songs I picked always went over better than what the other guys picked. I know good songs and I know what works and I bet you do as well. 

Bands can be tough because of personalities and lack of vision by band members and their fear of trying anything new. Most people if they practice hard enough can play in a bar band.  Very few people have the talent, courage or ambition to create music and share it for critical review. Elton John is a tremendous musician, performer and singer but where would be be without Bernie Taupin. Most people can't do it all. People like Prince and Joe Bonamassa are rare. 

xx
All The Best People

Started by rightly on Songs for review

10 Replies
Last post August 21, 2020, 22:03:58
by rightly
xx
Hello People!!

Started by OR∑PHINE on Me

13 Replies
Last post April 20, 2018, 20:12:41
by smajor