• Some things you値l never change (for Dutchbeat)
  • Started by Kafla
  • Kafla
  • Rotisseur

• September 26, 2021, 12:52:16
  • more
Some things you値l never change (for Dutchbeat)
on: August 29, 2021, 18:45:55
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 12:28:12 by Kafla »
https://soundcloud.com/andrewcruse/some-things-youll-never-change-the-spirit-poets-for-dutchbeat

About 10 years ago I discovered the magic of writing and producing music on the computer - specifically logic. It was an amazing reawakening of my musical journey - a journey which I thought was over. Stumbling upon an online songwriting group I shared my songs with a naivety which I would struggle to do now (in fact I am really nervous about sharing this) - I was fearless.

I needn稚 have worried because right from the off I had a comrade, mentor and fan - a guy called 泥utchbeat. He was all over me like a big puppy dog and surprisingly he loved everything I did. We would message long into the night for almost 5 years. I often wondered if he actually did anything else -  if he wasn稚 online / messaging / making music / talking about music / talking about equipment.he would be making videos to accompany music ! He was the most infectious guy I have (never ) met ! Even though he was always talking about me going to the Netherlands or him coming to Scotland.

As time passed Paul Vasey joined our wee group and I felt for a while we were the 3 musketeers. I really was so out of my depth with these 2 geniuses but boy did I like engaging with them. I wrote this song very shortly after I heard of Henk痴 passing. I asked Paul last week if he would turn my guitar and vocal into a production - I wanted to work on something together and process some more about Henk痴 passing. It痴 been a great feeling working with Paul this week and exchanging messages and coming close together again. I know we might not speak now for a little while but I cherish every time we come together - even though he completely does my head in with his obsessive pursuit of perfection - I知 more of a 澱ack of a fag packet musician 😂😂 love you mate 😍😍

The M8 is a total nod to Henk as he always said my structures were bonkers ( I thought he was bonkers lol😝) I had this vision of a man swallowing oceans , keeping all the boats in the harbour safe , making statues come to life , waltzing around and turning old black and white films into colour.  He was just a beautiful soul and I wish I had have made that effort to go and see him.

It痴 unbelievable that a guy can become so known, loved and respected in the online songwriting community.

I hope we have done him proud. I didn稚 want a sad lament as such because he wasn稚 that type of dude. I hope no one feels I知 overstepping the mark either - my heart is in the right place with this one and all I can say is thank you Dutchbeat for everything you legend!

Kafla

From Paul -

You know I was sad to lose touch with Henk but life threw a few curve balls my way and I did all that I could to make sense of the world for several years. That's when I let go of many things as I had too many situations and  other pressing matters to juggle.  The higher part of me who overlooks my role in this school of life with the benefit of hindsight knows that Henk would be ok with that despite the needle of guilt that pricks my conscience,  from time to time.  We can never know the difficulties that each of us face and how it affects our ability to simply get by.  I guess the important thing is that we both knew Henk for a little while, we both recognised his goodness and despite our/my  lack of communication in latter years, we were deeply touched by his passing.  He clearly lives in our  hearts and so, I am proud to be a part of this for a lovely man and also for our own wonderful relationship.  So, my friend,  let you and I raise a glass to the great man who has surely had a profound effect on the lives of so many. 

To Henk!

Paul

As usual your feedback would be warmly appreciated ❤️❤️ peace ❤️❤️

Somethings you値l never change

Think of the light that you left in the hearts of so many
Think of the smiles that will shine in the darkest places
Think of me when it痴 raining
Think of me when you池e tired of complaining
Think of tears as the only way to heal

In the darkness I値l find you coming through with the light

Somethings you can稚 change
Somethings you値l never change

Think of the words that you cast upon every shadow
Think of the times when you took my breath away
Think of me when it痴 pouring
Think of me when the sadness is flowing
Think of pain as the only way to heal

You drank the oceans whole
Swallowed every single boat
Spat them gently on the shore
Waltzing down the harbour side
Swallowed everything alive
Made the darkest room turn bright
You drank the oceans whole
Keeping everyboat afloat
Placed them gently on the shore
You were waltzing in the night
Making statues come to life
Turing monochrome to light

https://soundcloud.com/andrewcruse/some-things-youll-never-change-the-spirit-poets-for-dutchbeat

Re: Some things you値l never change
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 19:37:01
Hey Andy - @Kafla  didn't we have a ball putting this song together and sharing messages, culminating in a a lovely chat over the phone?   :). Henk would have loved that!   My memories include his lovely review of your song "Being Human", including  his insistence on creating a beautiful Vangough influenced video for my song "Still remains" that you sang so beautifully.   Then there was his video for  your song "The Dead of Winter" - I wonder  if "Think of me when it's pouring" is a reflection on the lyric "umbrellas rose like  flowers in the dead of winter?"  I also recall the wonderful videos that Henk created for my songs "Music Plays" and "Leading Man." Henk would have been all over this song, insisting that he played a major part in putting the video together.  I think mostly, Henk would be delighted to observe that  our friendship has flourished over the years and also that we come together , supporting and believing in each other wiithout room for  question.  This clearly enables us to present something like this.  All I can say is that our involvement in this song was the source of great happiness and heart-felt emotion.  It's been a while in coming but this is for Henk!

Paul

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 15:47:00
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 16:24:45
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 08:53:44 by LePlongeur »
This song takes my breath away @Kafla.

And I hope you don稚 take the following as a personal attack on your honest emotions, but it underlines why I am firmly in favour of writing odes or 租edicated to痴 to living people.

Saskia Laroo carries her two odes with pride. One made in 1994 to boost her confidence when recording and subsequently releasing her very first CD and one some 5 years ago.
She was pleasantly surprised. As I think Henk would have been pleasantly surprised to hear all that was said or played after his passing.

Maybe I can get you on my side of the line? Making an ode to a living colleague and simultaneously getting it across that We池e definitely not after his or her bum brings a very light touch to it all.

Even if you dismiss the idea. I still think this is a lovely song.
And we can hear it.
Thank you.

Kind regards, Gus

Edit: of course it痴 NOT an attack on you or your approach to mourning and music. Sorry for my error.

• rightly
  • Rotisseur
  • And there you have it.

• Today at 05:27:12
    • Berlin
  • more
Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 08:43:07
lovely powerful song
heartfelt and warming
excellent production, all seems to be in it's right place.
It's shows me I've a long way to go

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Yesterday at 00:21:41
    • Duiven
    • http://twitter.com/MartiMediaSC http://www.facebook.com/MartiMedia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEBmQkchurQ https://soundcloud.com/martimedia
  • more
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 19:12:29
Hi @Kafla , man what a beautiful tribute to our friend Dutchbeat.. Missed it when you posted, but I saw @Cool Hand mentioning it, thanks Paul for the pointer ;-)

I miss my dear friend as well, we met in real life and called each other maybe once a week..
It is breathtaking to read how he reached so many people with his generous heart..

Love this song you wrote, in all aspects. The lyrics, the music, the singing, the playing.. and the resulting production delivers a beautiful complete package. Thank you for spreading memories about DB around the world with this song.

Cheers, Love and Peace,
Mar T.
I'm proud of this track, check it out! https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

• popitup
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Songs in the Key of Life

• October 15, 2021, 07:24:19
  • more
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 03:24:09
Hey @Kafla and @Cool Hand
Wow , I found this a very powerful song. Production and vocals are so spot on. I'm still new here, and have heard a lot about DutchBeat . . . so, now I'm inspired to go and check out some of his music that surely has inspired so many here.

• Kafla
  • Rotisseur

• September 26, 2021, 12:52:16
  • more
Re: Some things you値l never change (for Dutchbeat)
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 12:29:16
Very kind everyone and I am so pleased this seems to have been a suitable memory for our friend..

I知 going to stick around the Kitchen.I think Henk would have liked that  ::heart::

Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 18:41:07
Very kind everyone and I am so pleased this seems to have been a suitable memory for our friend..

I知 going to stick around the Kitchen.I think Henk would have liked that  ::heart::

@Kafla,

Andy that is great news for this forum and of course, you have made my day.  Welcome my dear friend!

Paul

• Mo
  • Chef de Partie

• Today at 09:58:12
  • more
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 20:15:01
What a great gesture @Kafla  ::heart::

We can't get enough of them to pay tribute to our dear Dutchbeat.
Thank you very much for sharing!! ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

xx
Change in the wind

Started by oorlab on Songs for review

10 Replies
Last post April 30, 2020, 22:15:01
by oorlab
xx
'Change Is Not Enough' - new song

Started by MichaelA on Songs for review

17 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 12:36:49