• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 22:50:06
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Shooting Waste
Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 20:34:52
Hahahah...'m flattered that you think I'm that young...sadly, it's not the case, I'm in my early 50s. The only reason I asked is that a friend listened to the song and commented on my voice sounding young...I guess I haven't smoked enough or drank enough hard liquor.

I like the sound of your voice as well as how you use it.......not too bad for an old guy anyway.  ;)

The newer mix sounds great......vocal is much smoother and it sounds like you brought that guitar up a bit as well. I think you had some spiky transients here and there that were coming across as subtle distortion. I just listened here in my office.....I'll definitely give it another listen tonight in the studio.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 08:58:22
Thank you!

Some songs just take more work for whatever reason, but hopefully the end result comes across stronger. Given that it's only a week since I wrote, recorded and remixed this beggar, I'm quite pleased with how it sounds now, although having listened on a mobile phone yesterday, I think I need to tame the first guitar break, and remix yet again!

dB/

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 22:50:06
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 10:32:47
I'm quite pleased with how it sounds now, although having listened on a mobile phone yesterday, I think I need to tame the first guitar break, and remix yet again!

I'm smiling as I remember how the floor of the back seat of my truck used to be covered with CD's.......that had been listened to once and discarded in a mad rush back into the studio.  ;)

Just listened on my good cans......I like that first guitar break. I like the bass tone and playing as well....are you playing a real bass? These days I can never tell.

Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 10:58:30
Hah, yes, it's all real apart from the percussion which is my edited versions of some stock loops in my DAW.

Acoustic is a Martin X-series
Electric is an Ibanez RG370DX with floating trem
Bass is a Yamaha RBX170 with Roto 66s

So, nothing fancy and only my limited skills. I don't have the skills to program basslines or anything else like I play.

And, yes, CDs!!! But, before, that boxes of cassettes in the car...

dB/

Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 13:05:40
I've re-recorded the initial burst of electric guitar but instead of playing the melody, I just played it in time with a single note on one string and then used Melodyne to tune it to the melody I wanted...saves buying a Mini Moog ;-) #Experiment

https://soundcloud.com/sciencebase/shooting-waste

• robertkc
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Yesterday at 16:06:56
    • Vancouver Island
    • https://soundcloud.com/user-564042721
  • more
Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 18:40:44
@Dave Bradley  Yes,new mix a big improvement.I noticed the vocal double and harmonies this time...well done  and hey, you did that hold on the last "saved" ::thumb:: ::thumb::

Robert

Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 19:23:58
I did indeed do a hold, extending it with delay was not cutting it, so I recorded a new ending and added a harmony. Makes it even more proggie,  I think, which is what I like to do if I'm not doing funk ;-)

dB/

Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 19:25:25
Two plugins new to me - VocRider and Waves Sibilance. The VocRider seems to level the vocals a little without messing with my dynamics too much, the de-esser doesn't seem to make an awful lot of difference on this vocal, but I'm not particularly hissy in my voice, I don't think, hahah

Reply #23 on: November 30, 2018, 00:39:26
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 00:42:46 by DanJames »
Listened to this a few times over the last few days. Really enjoyed it. You've got a great voice and I love the way the song builds. I won't comment on the mix- i'm not qualified !

Reply #24 on: November 30, 2018, 09:14:01
Great to hear that you've listened a few times, thanks. I assume that the mix didn't put you off! Hah.

• Jambrains
  • Chef de Partie
  • You ain't seen nothing yet..

• Today at 07:48:01
  • more
Reply #25 on: December 03, 2018, 22:42:08
I did not get the chance to hear the original mix but these iterations seems to have paid off handsomely, mix sounds great!
Really good vocals and impeccable musicianship, my only nit would be the length of it.
Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart
My land's only borders lie around my heart

Reply #26 on: December 04, 2018, 10:50:23
Glad you liked it, thanks for having a listen, even if it did take up 6'20", hahahah. I think that's quite a short song for a fan of Rush, Genesis, Floyd, Yes etc...

• MrBouzouki
  • Chef de Partie
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• December 17, 2018, 20:27:57
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #27 on: December 05, 2018, 00:23:38
Hi @Dave Bradley - I've been a bit distracted of late so I've missed all the earlier iteration and discussion.  So I'll give you my take at today 4th December.

I like the clarity of the acoustic guitar opening.  Is there something weird with a note in the arpeggio at 0:21 ? It sounds a bit off against the bass note.

Nice clear Vox so it's understandable - I've never been much of a fan of lyric buried away so you loose the meaning.

Nice use of doubled Vox and backing Vox.

The bass guitar is sitting nicely -  just where it needs to be. I don't know much about drum tone so I won't make comment. It sounds OK to me.

I assume it's the autotuned guitar at 2:17 ?? What a great idea ... it sounds a bit like an envelope shaper FX to alter the envelope.

I afraid the harmony bit at 2:17 doesn't work for me. The harmony clashes too much to my ears

3:38 has a Genesis sounding arpeggio pattern. a bit Ant Phillips to my ears.

Nice bit of guitar I particularly like the starting at 4:48

The outro is almost right. I'm not sure exactly what would be better but I reckon it could be if I heard it  ;-)  ;D ;D ;D

Nice track overall and many more positives than negatives from me

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::

"Love and Life is all about connections"

Reply #28 on: December 05, 2018, 09:51:07
Thanks for listening. It's probably the bass note itself that's off, I tend to record the bass live in generally one big long take whereas I might have built up the guitar over various attempts.

Glad you liked the vocals, I much prefer singing clearly, in fact I don't think I can do that death metal growl thing if I tried.

The first guitar solo, I played as one single note on the D-string and then used Melodyne to convert it into a melody part, gave it a bit of a hybrid Mini-Moog, Theramin sound I think, which was fun. I've done that with vocals on other tunes to give me a super high falsetto in a harmony part just on a final note. Not an envelope shaper (definitely just autotuning but with Melodyne rather than Autotune)

I don't know which harmony bit at 2:17 you mean...that's the Melodyne guitar solo.

The 3:38 arp is definitely Genesis influenced, although just a six-string rather than on my 12 ;-)

Glad you liked the guitar too, yes that repeating figure at 4:48 very much a Lifesonesque touch.

As to the outro...well...I need someone to say what it is that isn't quite right because if I keep redoing it I'm just redoing it...

Reply #29 on: December 05, 2018, 09:59:53

> I afraid the harmony bit at 2:17 doesn't work for me. The harmony clashes too much to my ears

3:17, yes, it's a C-D#-F - not a common chord a D#6/9

3:38 has a Genesis sounding arpeggio pattern. a bit Ant Phillips to my ears.

Nice bit of guitar I particularly like the starting at 4:48

The outro is almost right. I'm not sure exactly what would be better but I reckon it could be if I heard it  ;-)  ;D ;D ;D

Nice track overall and many more positives than negatives from me

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::

xx
Waste of Time - my first go at MIDI

Started by habiTat on Songs for review

9 Replies
Last post January 17, 2014, 18:28:00
by Wicked Deeds
xx
Shooting Stars Draft1

Started by PaperMessages on Songs for review

18 Replies