• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 20:28:28
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Short Parade
on: July 07, 2019, 21:10:46
I had to get some new recording gear after my interface/guitar emulation box (Eleven Rack) started burning up last week. So I put this quick recording together to check things out. It's an older song that was tracked a dozen or so years ago....this version is a little different as it is all electric guitars.

This tune is actually one of the few that I actually play all the time. In fact I played it at a gig just the other evening and it seemed to go over rather well. I mean....the two deer in the backyard looked up....and didn't run away. That's good when they don't run away, right @realkevm:yes:

Wow...Lenny goes electric! I do worry about that. I mean, Dylan did it at the Newport Folk Festival in '65 and his career was never the same after that.  ;D

Short Parade
https://soundcloud.com/leonardscaper/short-parade-electric

All those mountains out in the distance
Sure 'nuff feel like home to me
And just listening to this stream they've spawned
Clears my head and keeps me free
But I wonder where the young folks are goin'
And what they're doin' with these things they've made
I guess I'll get some boys to take me back down
That'll be a short parade

INSTRUMENTAL

All that counting and all this wisdom
Hasn't done that much for me
It's no use wishin' for all that's gone
'Cause It's what's up front that I need to see
But I can't help wonderin' where I'm goin'
And what I've done with what I've made
I guess I'll get some boys to take me back down
That'll be a short parade

BRIDGE
Where will I go to be free
Where will I go
Where will I go to be free
And who will follow

When I go back home
Will it still run clear
Look a little closer
It's all right there
I see my life in the pools I've made
It's been a short parade

8)

"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Re: Short Parade
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 02:45:08
@Leonard Scaper you have some great lines in there. My favorite is "it's no use wishin' for all that's gone cause it's what's up front that I need to see".  So true and a great lesson. You have such a calmness to your voice. Song and sound are great!   :thumbsup:
Do what makes your heart sing :)

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 15:12:34
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 06:56:59
The song is fabulous, that goes with saying too.
But (yes, sorry) there's something about the sound of the recording.
Is this done on an SG? And is the bass a bass or something keyish?
Let's not bring Bob Dylan in. At a western junction, he took the wrong turn he decided to go singing and I gave away all my records of him.
His dear looked up and left the building quicker than Elvis.
I short: Like the song and the lyrics, but I think the sound is a bit artificial.
Nice and clear but.....
Kind regards, Gus

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 11:06:14
@Kellyanneg ....thanks so much for your kind words. I appreciate that you like that particular line as I just wrote that verse quickly for this session. The song was incomplete for all those years.  :)

@LePlongeur .....the guitar is an old SG (1971) through this new Line 6 Helix guitar emulation unit. I used four different setups.....including that crazy rectified lead tone. I couldn't resist trying to fit that in as that is what Line 6 seems to specialize in.

The bass is also a Gibson....1969 SG. I put that through the Helix as well....one of their bass amp rigs. I honestly think that these Helix sounds are more real than I was getting from my now defunct Eleven Rack....but they'll never sound like a real cranked tube amp. I need to mess with these Helix setups more to dial in a more believable sound as this was really just a test track. It took me years to get the tone I liked from the Eleven Rack.

I'll really only be using my electric guitar sounds to accompany my usual acoustic guitar stuff so they won't have to stand on their own very often like this.

I'm hoping to get some other perspectives on the sound of this recording as this is all new gear now.

Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 15:45:01
This tune is actually one of the few that I actually play all the time. In fact I played it at a gig just the other evening and it seemed to go over rather well. I mean....the two deer in the backyard looked up....and didn't run away. That's good when they don't run away, right @realkevm
That's pretty funny. I'm not sure if you're serious or not @Leonard Scaper   :)

Nice song. I love the guitar tone you're getting. ( of course I know nothing of guitar and guitar gear)
"I wonder where the young folks are going" is a great line and really sets up for some fine imagery and multiple interpretations.
You really set up some serious tension in there with those triplet rhythms.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 15:12:34
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 16:36:32
Oh, it’s a believable sound @Leonard Scaper , specially if this was what you had in mind.
It was just that I couldn’t ‘place’ certain instruments. Plus I am accustomed to a warmer sounding result coming from your cave.
If you managed to tame the rack, you’ll be able to master this one too.
Mamma didn’t raise no fool right?
Thanks for the explanation! I like electric thingies in your music. It seems to lure you into singing with more dynamics and breath.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 16:42:00
I love this, it flows brilliantly. Yes it's good when they don't leave and even better when they show up in the first place 😁 I hope you had a great time

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 17:45:21
That's pretty funny. I'm not sure if you're serious or not

I actually was playing this song on an acoustic guitar last weekend on the back deck. It looks out over a field and the deer come wandering up all the time. There really were two deer very close to the deck that kept looking up from grazing while I played it.  :)

Thanks for listening to this one, Bill. I appreciate your comments. I respect your "ears" so it's good to hear that you liked those tones.

@realkevm ....thanks for listening. Yeah you know how it is playing to those thin crowds sometimes, right? Once you get them there....you want them to stay.

@LePlongeur .....yeah, Gus, this is not a sound you'll hear from me often....was really just stretching my legs with the new equipment. I actually think this box has more convincing tones than the Eleven Rack. Once I get in deeper and start messing with cab choices and microphone choices I'll get to smiling even more.

• OscoBosco
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Karma Hunter

• Yesterday at 09:19:05
  • more
Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 17:56:28
This is wonderful, I love the pace of this and the lines are great as well!

• oorlab
  • Chef de Partie
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 20:05:02
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 00:14:52
@Leonard Scaper   - much enjoyed. Not really noticing it is an electric guitar until the solo comes in. I like the sparse percussion - the whole thing breaths and feels where heartfelt.
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 13:35:16
Thanks so much for that @OscoBosco

@oorlab .......I'm glad those electric guitars just sound like music to you rather than standing out. Thanks for listening and for your appreciation.

:)

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Today at 20:53:51
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 14:27:51
I'm quite liking that lead tone already @Leonard Scaper. I have soft spot for mellower distorted tones as you know.
It's another tool in your songwriting toolbox. Nice hearing some piano and organ too.

I don't know if I've asked you before but do you play with pick or fingers on electric ?
I always though the sound of the attack, especially on chords, suggested fingers not plectrum, a la Mark Knopfler or Jeff Beck. :-)

I think I'd like to hear more Scaper like this, it makes you go beyond the hills you know, if you get my drift ;-)

Good Job

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::

"Love and Life is all about connections"

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 16:13:23
I think I'd like to hear more Scaper like this, it makes you go beyond the hills you know, if you get my drift ;-)

I definitely get your drift, MrB. I actually quite enjoyed this production.....maybe I'll try another.

I play with my fingers only.....have for many, many years. It allows me to connect more completely with the guitar.  There are so many subtle ways to interact with the strings using fingers and natural fingernails. That old SG also has a Bigsby tremolo bridge which my hand rests on and I am constantly moving that subtly for expression.

I thought you might like that lead tone. I need to work on it a bit more, though........a little more body and a little less fuzz will be more to my liking. Thanks for giving this one a listen.

:)

Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 19:06:45
Me too on all the likes for the guitar tone on this @Leonard Scaper. The melody is good and there`s both wisdom and a touch of humour in the lyrics...all leading to that very cool title punchline  :pompom:
Think I get why you enjoy playing this one for any creatures in the vicinity ::thumb::

Robert

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 14:10:12
@robertkc ......thanks so much for that. I'm glad those tones sounded ok to you as well.

It's funny about this song.....it's one of the dozen or so tunes that I play regularly out of all those songs I have written and recorded. It just needed that second verse to really come to life. I have a couple of others like that.......I may have to go after them as well.

xx
Short Parade

Started by Leonard Scaper on Live performances

2 Replies
Last post March 13, 2018, 14:31:33
by Leonard Scaper
xx
long story short, made very short (yet... a true story)

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen café

1 Replies
Last post February 18, 2014, 21:34:46
by habiTat
xx
okay it may be short.....

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen café

0 Replies
Last post December 23, 2014, 18:17:48
by Dutchbeat
xx
Life Is Very Short