• Silver Lining (First recording in my new studio)
  • Started by marcus_jb
  • marcus_jb
  • Rotisseur
  • One-Take/Lo-fi Recordings

• April 22, 2020, 14:44:42
    • Sweden
  • more
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 15:55:48 by marcus_jb »
Hey all,

Posting my first recording from my new studio. I've used lots of reverb, amp and splitted the guitar track in to separate tracks in order to create a broader sound. All comments appreciated.

Take a listen!

Silver Lining

Tremor running though my soul
Shaking fingers, rattling bones
Canít seem to lay it to rest
Canít seem to pass this test

Tension running through my soul
Shaking fingers, rattling bones
Echoing laughter and smites
Breaking through the spotlights

Oh, my old stage frights
Oh, those haunting stage nights

Smoke filled, silent shadows
Standing beside the gallows
High twisted hanging ropes
Waiting when the curtain calls

Gloat filled empty applause
From the shallow, the shallow
Those Iím silently fighting
Because this is my silver lining

Oh, my old stage frights

Oh, my old stage frights

1st draft
https://soundcloud.com/marcus_jb/silver-lining

2nd draft
https://soundcloud.com/marcus_jb/silver-lining-adjusted-compressorreverb

Mastered/finished
https://soundcloud.com/marcus_jb/silver-lining-mastered

Best Regards Marcus

Re: Silver Lining (First recording in my new studio)
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 18:32:01
beautiful and poignant ... a major step up in production :)
<3,
soundcloud.com/revivalchoir

• marcus_jb
  • Rotisseur

• Sweden
  • more
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 19:01:00
beautiful and poignant ... a major step up in production :)

@revivalchoir Thanks for commenting my friend! I really appreciate your feedback on this:)

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 20:11:03
yes friend. keep exploring

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• March 03, 2020, 21:01:03
    • Sydney, Australia
    • https://www.facebook.com/drivingsouthband/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCygXcTLN2FroxhUQM_90J6Q?view_as=subscriber https://soundcloud.com/user-386444683
  • more
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 23:55:11
This is great @marcus_jb

The guitars sound really good as does your voice - a noticeable improvement on previous recordings.

Your guitar playing at the start could so easily be a soundtrack to film/TV - it's so atmospheric and haunting.

great stuff

cheers

• marcus_jb
  • Rotisseur

• Sweden
  • more
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 20:25:28
This is great @marcus_jb

The guitars sound really good as does your voice - a noticeable improvement on previous recordings.

Your guitar playing at the start could so easily be a soundtrack to film/TV - it's so atmospheric and haunting.

great stuff

cheers

Thanks @Jurgen ! Well adding the reverb and amp combined with the clean steel stringed really added something different. However I think that the vocals is just a little bit too loud. Going to adjust it a bit and see how it effects the whole track. Also thanks for the feedback regarding the quality. I almost miss the lo-fi touch already :)

Cheers M

Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 20:52:02
This really sounds fantastic!

The guitar does sound so good but I am really impressed with your vocal sound. It sounds like you have put your voice into a perfect space for this song and it is a pleasure to listen to it. I'll listen again more critically later in the studio. I want to hear the reverb that I can't really appreciate on the speakers in my office.

This song translates amazingly well on these small speakers.

I love your style, btw.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• marcus_jb
  • Rotisseur

• Sweden
  • more
Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 21:08:26
This really sounds fantastic!

The guitar does sound so good but I am really impressed with your vocal sound. It sounds like you have put your voice into a perfect space for this song and it is a pleasure to listen to it. I'll listen again more critically later in the studio. I want to hear the reverb that I can't really appreciate on the speakers in my office.

This song translates amazingly well on these small speakers.

I love your style, btw.

@Leonard Scaper - Thanks so much for this. Didn't expect it at all since I'm just feeling my self around with the software and actually was hesitant to even upload it from the beginning. Hearing your comments really helps me going forward.

Also glad you liked my vocals. Tried to sing a much softer this time compared to my previous recordings. Noticed it was a lot easier to balance the vocals and sing with more emotion due to the sensitivity of the new mic. Also let me know how it sounds in your studio:)

Cheers Marcus

• Mark Luto
  • Sous Chef
  • Enthusiastic Dilettante

• October 26, 2020, 23:43:08
    • Zurich, Switzerland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MarkLutoMusic/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2oOby1sRdVp60eBi8msivQ https://soundcloud.com/markluto
  • more
Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 02:38:10
Gorgeous, wow, this really is something else! ::headphone::

You know that I always loved your style, and this enhanced sound does it's part to attract my attention even more.

First I was a little bemused by the contrast between the (brilliantly sounding) huge reverb on the guitar and the roomy and rather dry vocals. But I got used to that very quickly. And I guess you re very aware of that contrast, aren't you? ;)

Great stuff!

• marcus_jb
  • Rotisseur

• Sweden
  • more
Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 04:59:06
Gorgeous, wow, this really is something else! ::headphone::

You know that I always loved your style, and this enhanced sound does it's part to attract my attention even more.

First I was a little bemused by the contrast between the (brilliantly sounding) huge reverb on the guitar and the roomy and rather dry vocals. But I got used to that very quickly. And I guess you re very aware of that contrast, aren't you? ;)

Great stuff!

Thanks @Mark Luto. Absolutely. I've worked quite a bit on the relation between the vocals and the two guitar tracks. It's a touch of reverb on the vocals too, but as I said I think the vocals is just slightly loud in ths version. Also working on an adjusted version atm where they blend a little bit more. Maybe I could try the adjusting the dry/wet aspect??

Cheers Marcus

• ImKeN
  • Poissonier
  • Don't forget to have fun while you're at it!

• May 13, 2018, 11:25:53
    • Japan
    • https://soundcloud.com/imken-2
  • more
Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 10:23:21
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:43:02 by ImKeN »
@marcus_jb ,

Great sound. I think you're right about the vocals being a tad bit loud in the mix. And I think it also sounds a little on the dry side and "boxed-in," so maybe send a little more reverb to the vox track to create a little more space around it. You might also want to experiment with adding, ever...EVER so lightly, some compression to your guitars and side-chaining it to your vocals to really, sort of, glue them together. I could be totally wrong about these suggestions so please take with a pinch of salt: I don't have much experience with mixing in general. Ha.ha...

What song(s) are you using as your mix reference? If I may suggest a couple:

"Oats In The Water," Ben Howard.
"Way Down We Go," Kaleo.

All the best,

Ken
"Is it stable, or, unstable? Wax on, wax off." ~ Pat Pattison

https://soundcloud.com/imken-2

Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 10:32:16
I have just listened on my good headphones. I still like where the vocals are but I do tend to like my vocals on the dry side.

The reverb wash on the guitar is definitely bold and I think that may be what is making the vocals seem loud. Do you have the guitar reverb as an insert? If so, you might consider putting it on a bus and sending some of the guitar track to it. Then you could put an EQ in front of the reverb and filter it aggressively.

I really like this song and I think the long guitar reverb and somewhat dry vocals works to accentuate the vocals by establishing a cool contrast between the two. Just a bit of tweakage might be in order.

• marcus_jb
  • Rotisseur

• Sweden
  • more
Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 15:23:37
@marcus_jb ,

Great sound. I think you're right about the vocals being a tad bit loud in the mix. And I think it also sounds a little on the dry side and "boxed-in," so maybe send a little more reverb to the vox track to create a little more space around it. You might also want to experiment with adding, ever...EVER so lightly, some compression to your guitars and side-chaining it to your vocals to really, sort of, glue them together. I could be totally wrong about these suggestions so please take with a pinch of salt: I don't have much experience with mixing in general. Ha.ha...

@ImKeN Thanks a lot for helping me with this one!

I've started adjusting the vocals and adding a little reverb to it. Personally I like the dry approach however it's important that it fit with the rest of the track. Think I've found a mix between dry/wet at last:) Will also look in to your other suggestions asap. The reference tracks was also really helpful. Didn't use any for this one and just experimented from the start.

Also I'm stuck with trying to export it atm.. Somehow I'm stuck with a really annoying electronic glitch that pops sometimes up when rasing the quality of the track..

Best Marcus

• marcus_jb
  • Rotisseur

• Sweden
  • more
Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 15:29:10
I have just listened on my good headphones. I still like where the vocals are but I do tend to like my vocals on the dry side.

The reverb wash on the guitar is definitely bold and I think that may be what is making the vocals seem loud. Do you have the guitar reverb as an insert? If so, you might consider putting it on a bus and sending some of the guitar track to it. Then you could put an EQ in front of the reverb and filter it aggressively.

I really like this song and I think the long guitar reverb and somewhat dry vocals works to accentuate the vocals by establishing a cool contrast between the two. Just a bit of tweakage might be in order.

@Leonard Scaper Thanks for listening again. I agree that the guitar was a bit bold, but the effect was too cool (imo) not to use. The reverb is just part of the Studio One software and it's no problem to go at it more aggressively. Will work on it and see how it affects the vibe of the track. Somehow I really started to like the reverb that's a little out of control:)

Thanks again for listening! Now back to the mastering :)

Cheers Marcus

Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 16:48:49
Will work on it and see how it affects the vibe of the track.

Don't lose that vibe.....seriously.

xx
Updated track: Silver Lining

Started by marcus_jb on Songs for review

7 Replies
Last post September 03, 2019, 19:20:04
by marcus_jb
xx
Silver Lining - Marcus JB cover - Cover Comp

Started by revivalchoir on Songs for review

18 Replies
Last post July 16, 2017, 01:40:47
by Mar T.
xx
One minute, rehersal studio recording

Started by Fiddlasrogers on Live performances

1 Replies
Last post February 05, 2017, 11:38:56
by Dutchbeat
question
What does your recording/mixing studio/room look like?

Started by Mar T. on Songwriting Ingredients

56 Replies
Last post April 18, 2017, 19:27:40
by marcus_jb
xx
Mike Senior - Mixing and Small Studio Recording Information Pages

Started by MrBouzouki on Songwriting Ingredients

0 Replies
Last post February 15, 2020, 21:53:32
by MrBouzouki