• Silver Lining (First recording in my new studio)
  • Started by marcus_jb
Re: Silver Lining (First recording in my new studio)
Reply #45 on: May 21, 2017, 15:41:03
Hey - I'm a little late to the party. Great stuff. Love the theme of the lyric. Strong playing and singing. I kind of flew through the thread so I may have missed a thing or two, but I have two suggestions/comments.

I don't doubt others will disagree, but I found it too slow and plodding. It would be one thing if there was a little rhythm (section) to keep things under control, and I get that the space is important and makes it all the more poignant, but I found it a bit hard to sit through the entire song at that tempo (or lack of).

The other thing is that the vocal sounds like you recorded it in too small and/or too untreated a space. I hear drywall - a lot of early reflections with a typical nasty 2-4k bite.  If I'm right, there's little you're going to be able to do to tame it. I'm just pulling a number out of my butt, but what it sounded like before it got to your DAW is 92% more important than all the processing you can throw on it. What is your room like, what's your recording chain? Mic? Pre?

• marcus_jb
  • Rotisseur
  • One-Take/Lo-fi Recordings

• April 22, 2020, 14:44:42
    • Sweden
  • more
Reply #46 on: May 21, 2017, 15:57:12
Very haunting sounding song.  Lots of emotion in this one.  Just a small tip, I think you are speaking of stage "fright" on this song if I'm correct.  Not stage "freight".  You may want to change that on your lyric sheet.  But then again people who aren't grammar nazis like me probably don't care.  Very emotional song though.  I think you really captured that desperation.

Thanks @rockinrob ! Arrgh.. How did I miss that spelling. Thanks for letting me know:)

Best Marcus

• marcus_jb
  • Rotisseur

• Sweden
  • more
Reply #47 on: May 21, 2017, 16:08:03
Hey - I'm a little late to the party. Great stuff. Love the theme of the lyric. Strong playing and singing. I kind of flew through the thread so I may have missed a thing or two, but I have two suggestions/comments.

I don't doubt others will disagree, but I found it too slow and plodding. It would be one thing if there was a little rhythm (section) to keep things under control, and I get that the space is important and makes it all the more poignant, but I found it a bit hard to sit through the entire song at that tempo (or lack of).

The other thing is that the vocal sounds like you recorded it in too small and/or too untreated a space. I hear drywall - a lot of early reflections with a typical nasty 2-4k bite.  If I'm right, there's little you're going to be able to do to tame it. I'm just pulling a number out of my butt, but what it sounded like before it got to your DAW is 92% more important than all the processing you can throw on it. What is your room like, what's your recording chain? Mic? Pre?

Hi @M57! Thanks for checking it out and taking time to comment. I think you and I disagree on the tempo bit. I actually like it this way. I've always been in to this style. Slow and with floating tempo variations. Think there is too little music out there that lacks drums and baselines and too many who has similar setups today.

Regarding the dry wall you're absolutely right. I think I wrote it earlier in the thread that I'm going to do a needed vocal treatment of the room. I think the result will be much better after that. Will also buy a mic reflection filter shortly.

Again thanks for the feedback
Marcus

• marcus_jb
  • Rotisseur

• Sweden
  • more
Reply #48 on: May 21, 2017, 20:33:08
Late to the party on here. others have said all that needs to be said. Its mesmerizing.

The step taken in this recording compared with previous offers all kinds of new possibilities. Really excited to hear what is coming next! Great stuff Markus

@Olbigead my friend, thanks for the kind words. I agree on the future possibilities however I don't think I'll leave that nylon stringed totally. This is just the expression that was right for this one.

Best Marcus

• marcus_jb
  • Rotisseur

• Sweden
  • more
Reply #49 on: May 21, 2017, 20:40:24
Haunting and heartfelt. Excellent stuff, Marcus. :) N

Thanks @Nic for listening. Hearing this from you is really awesome. Really admire your stuff! Marcus

xx
Updated track: Silver Lining

Started by marcus_jb on Songs for review

7 Replies
Last post September 03, 2019, 19:20:04
by marcus_jb
xx
Silver Lining - Marcus JB cover - Cover Comp

Started by revivalchoir on Songs for review

18 Replies
Last post July 16, 2017, 01:40:47
by Mar T.
xx
One minute, rehersal studio recording

Started by Fiddlasrogers on Live performances

1 Replies
Last post February 05, 2017, 11:38:56
by Dutchbeat
question
What does your recording/mixing studio/room look like?

Started by Mar T. on Songwriting Ingredients

56 Replies
Last post April 18, 2017, 19:27:40
by marcus_jb
xx
Mike Senior - Mixing and Small Studio Recording Information Pages

Started by MrBouzouki on Songwriting Ingredients

0 Replies
Last post February 15, 2020, 21:53:32
by MrBouzouki