• Snow Field Dancer
  • Started by Leonard Scaper
Snow Field Dancer
on: January 22, 2017, 13:16:50
So sometimes a song needs a backstory, right?

The year was 1984 and I had just lost my job. I was living in the north country of the US east coast and with a young child and a co-star that was not working...my life was at a crossroads. That next day I hiked up the country road and then out into a field of very deep snow looking for....something.

After all these years the image of standing out there up to my waist in snow is still vivid.

I put this together rather quickly throwing lots of stuff at the wall......not quite sure just yet what should be sticking.

Snow Field Dancer

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13518849

The wind blows snow
Into the shape of a dancer
As I raise my eyes
To a sky so blue
In this field below
I am looking for answers

It seems that my life
Has been a series of chances
So I've come to this snow field
To work things through
Will I ever find those answers

CHORUS
Oh....snow field dancer
Where am I going
And where have I been
Oh....snow field dancer
Oh....snow field dancer
Who will forgive me
For all of these sins
Oh....snow field dancer

I have come here to finish
This trial by fire
In this waist deep snow
That had chilled me to the bone
Will I get my wish
Or have I just been a liar

I have come all this way
But I am not tired
Somehow I know that
My waiting is done
Standing in this snow field
Is lighting my fire

CHORUS

Now that wind blows the snow again
And just by chance
It swirls all around me
And I know what I must do
As I turn to go
I become the dancer

CHORUS

"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Dutchbeat
  • Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 18:29:04
  • more
Re: Snow Field Dancer
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 14:02:57
hi @Leonard Scaper , great song with a interesting story behind it....

how did the story end....I mean, did you find some answer in that snow field????

great chorus, with a 3 /4 time signature (?) or not?

anyway, it sounds great!
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 14:30:30
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 23:21:57 by M57 »
Yeah!  I'm a sucker for 3/4 time.  Love the guitar.  Great hook and lyric.  As far as I'm concerned, I don't need the backstory. In fact, it's almost better if I don't know it, because that way I take your beautiful crafted imagery, let it speak to me on my own personal level, and interpret it in the context of my world of experience. This is exactly the kind of criteria that I try and bring to my own work.  First class, this one..
Suggestions..

Needs intro: That guitar lick with the open A string (capo on 2??) is one obvious solution.

Your vocal is too Loud. I don't doubt it's the key for a compressor that's doing a little ducking of the other parts (the trick you taught me), so there's no need to ride it so hot.
The breathiness of your voice is part of your signature sound, but it's a little too harsh at times. Part of it may be how hot the channel is, but I think a little soft EQing with a semi-wide Q in that freq. range might help.  Right now, on the word "Oh" in the chorus, I can barely make out the note you're singing - it's so heavily bathed in breath.

I owe you one, so check out this plugin for taming your vocal - but don't tell anyone. Let it be our little secret. It has pretty much has changed my life..

https://oeksound.com/soothe/

-Mark

Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 15:03:33
@Dutchbeat .....I did find answers......but then came more questions. And life goes on.  8)

@M57 ......Thanks for your appreciation. Thanks even more for listening critically. I'm working this mix hard today and I agree about the vocal level. I have backed off on the make-up gain on the last vocal compressor and I like that so far. It seems to have tamed that breathiness.....I do like to hear some of that as I think it creates a bit of intimacy. I also just pulled down a little 2K. It may be just as well that you can't hear that specific note. (we need a face palm emoticon)

Interesting idea about an intro....think I'll work with that a bit.

I have updated the link with your suggestions. I'll be updating it through the day.......any suggestions from others will be appreciated.

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 15:08:05
@M57 ....that plug looks very cool, btw. I won't tell anybody else about it...promise.  8)

I admit to being a plug-in minimalist though. I just use the stock Digi plugs. I have had many more but I wanted to reduce my choices and learn to get what I need with what I have.

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 15:24:53
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 15:38:07 by M57 »
Funny, I'm 'slowly' coming around to being a PIM too, but the road for me has been through over-use so to speak.  In other words, I've needed to prove to myself that I don't need them, and part of the way I've done that is to know what they do well, and what they don't do well.  Plugs are dirt cheap compared to their HW counterparts, and in many cases they do things that HW simply can't - not to mention the recall related advantages. Yes, you're right - you don't need many - BUT, you need the ones you do use to be the right ones. The other part of my evolution has been related to the few pieces of HW that I've invested in.  We all agree that if you put a pig in, the best you'll ever get out is a pig with lip-stick. But what's not as commonly considered is the corollary - that if you have a great chain going in (not to mention good music and performances), you won't need much in the way of makeup in the first place. Good HW and especially good room treatment are under-rated and hence under-used in most home studios. But let's face it, probably none of us have the perfect recording space, and that's where technology can save the day.  I'm preaching to the choir no doubt, but don't discount the sometimes incredible advantages and opportunities that some of these plugins offer.  My Spidey senses tell me that soothe might fall in that category for you.  Besides, I'm fairly sure it's free to audition, and I guarantee that none of your DIGI plugs come close to doing what this does. It's pretty edge-cutting (pun intended).

• Dutchbeat
  • Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 18:29:04
  • more
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 16:37:01
ah.....pssst.....@M57and @Leonard Scaper .....
I copied that link, but don't worry....your secret will be save with me...I won't tell anyone

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• March 03, 2020, 21:01:03
    • Sydney, Australia
    • https://www.facebook.com/drivingsouthband/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCygXcTLN2FroxhUQM_90J6Q?view_as=subscriber https://soundcloud.com/user-386444683
  • more
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 22:00:47
I agree with the comments so far @Leonard Scaper - great back story and a very nice song.

I don't mind not knowing what happens - it's a snapshot and we don't know all that led to that moment or what follows.

The 3/4 time works really well and I'm a fan of it and I like it when bands etc. experiment with it.

Plugins are a complete mystery to me - so you and @M57  secret is definitely safe with me!

cheers

• smajor
  • Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter

• February 21, 2020, 17:22:08
    • Kingman, Arizona USA
    • https://soundcloud.com/smajor1
  • more
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 23:17:37
Hi @Leonard Scaper

Methinks I have found me another reader of Yeats. As in William Butler.

And isn't it wonderful to be part of a community that can come at you from so many directions and yet accept you as one of their own?

Collaboration. I'd like to see more of it. Let's stop trying to do everything alone. We each have something to add to the mix.

I'm almost 64. I've been on earth awhile. Sometimes I have to force my eyes open. But if we cannot connect with what truly moves towards justice we have missed it... by a mile.

Let us all become dancers... dancers seeking the truth.

Later,
Stan
I'm a lyricist seeking music writers to work with.

Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 00:54:01
@Jurgen .......I agree that the backstory is best kept as something to be discovered. I only threw this one out so my fellow songwriters might get a glimpse of where things start with me. Thanks for listening to this one.

And isn't it wonderful to be part of a community that can come at you from so many directions and yet accept you as one of their own?

This is a very cool place to be. Both of my last two songs have improved from these excellent and thoughtful critiques.

Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 03:38:11
@Leonard Scaper As I think was mentioned on one of your other tracks, I love the pauses/spaces in your music. I particularly like the way this song transitions from the chorus to the verse. Really getting to dig your sound.

Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 03:59:37
@Leonard Scaper
amazingly heartfelt and moving and perfect for this cold night
<3,
soundcloud.com/revivalchoir

Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 11:44:03
@Olbigead

@revivalchoir

Thanks for listening to this one and for your appreciation.

Let me take this opportunity to say to all of you who might stop in for a listen that while I will be posting all of my songs as they come up.....I am really here to listen to all of you and glean what I can from the songs that you post. I have been seriously impressed by the quality of the writing in this Kitchen and even more so by the manner in which folks tend to present their material. There is a raw and unpretentious feel hereabouts that is very conducive to creativity and I am hoping some of that seeps into my own writing style.

Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 23:12:15
Thanks @Nic

Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 00:24:14
I do like to hear the inspiration of a song @Leonard Scaper

And by the way, you're a very welcome addition to our little community - great to read that you're liking it here :)!

Very little time right now but I wanted to pop in and say I really enjoyed this song and I do love a bit of 3/4 - quite partial to it myself when both listening and writing... lovely pretty melody and as has been mentioned, great evocative lyric.. it reminds me of an old Irish traditional song - not in melody but in mood and the image of the swirling snowflakes really matches the song and your delivery..

Lovely!

xx
Happy to be able to post this, a song called Ice Dancer

Started by Pleudoniem on Songs for review

11 Replies
Last post March 27, 2020, 10:28:03
by Pleudoniem
xx
This Silver Field

Started by GTB on Lyrics

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2019, 17:47:18