• Snow Field Dancer
  • Started by Leonard Scaper
Re: Snow Field Dancer
Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 02:00:02
@Zedd ........I am smiling that you felt that Irish spirit in this song. Look closely at my signature to see my true Celtic roots. Yes....Leonard Scaper is really just a very old nom de plume that seems to have stuck. My friends (all of you here) know me as Steve Gleason.

I am also smiling at how so many picked up on the 3/4 time signature in this one. Truth is, I have never consciously written that way as my musicianship is, quite honestly, not that refined. This song just kind of came out that way.

This is a fine community...it suits me. It is an honor to be in the company of so many exceptional songwriters.

"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Mr Sydney
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• April 16, 2019, 13:27:01
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • https://soundcloud.com/james-eoppolo-929273438
  • more
Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 03:02:16
Love the imagery in this! It holds special meaning for me having been in your shoes...snow shoes if you will. Lived on a mountain top in Maine for many years and found myself unemployed with unclear horizons abounding. Spent many an hour on a snowy ridge looking for answers. Very powerful song you have there.

Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 11:03:26
@Mr Sydney ....Exactly the feeling! I was in northern Vermont. That day the snowshoes got left in the garage but many, many hours were spent in the foothills alone looking for those answers in deep snow. The horizons were always crystal clear out there in the elements like that.

I appreciate that about the song....it really is powerful, but I did not sit down to write it as such last week. I was listening back to a scratch recording of the guitar part with some forgettable scatted lyrics when that first line came. I stopped the playback and wrote down the line. When I closed my eyes I was back in that snow field, I could feel the cold snow against my thighs......and the cold emptiness that seemed about to be filled in my soul. The rest of the lyrics came pretty quickly.

It's interesting how a song like that can have such a long gestation and then come so clear and strong. In my youth I wrote about my car and fishing and......whatever came to mind. In these advancing years I get to write about my youth....and my life.  8)

Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 17:30:28
My word, what is with all these guys with amazing voices on this forum!!!

@acoustic-alice .....ah, are you certain that you were listening to the correct song?

Thank you so much for those kind words.

xx
Happy to be able to post this, a song called Ice Dancer

Started by Pleudoniem on Songs for review

11 Replies
Last post March 27, 2020, 10:28:03
by Pleudoniem
xx
This Silver Field

Started by GTB on Lyrics

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2019, 17:47:18