• Karma Hunter

• April 17, 2019, 14:31:41
    • Denver, Colorado
  • more
Something else is needed?
on: March 21, 2019, 04:55:56
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 05:04:24 by LouDA »
Hey all,

So, first time posting here with an unfinished track. Would love your opinions!

I am not entirely sure where to go with this - vocals are done but can be chopped and moved. It feels like it doesnt kick in quite right at the beginning and kind of feels to me like it is a bit samey until the bridge/breakdown before the last chorus. The dynamics make the last chorus hit hard so probably not looking to change those  last pieces too much - her vox rock the last chorus imo... but the first couple minutes dont feel quite right.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I can do/how to switch it up to make it more engaging and gripping to get to the last chorus?

Ideas I had:
Have time drums until half way through?
Dont start the drums until first chorus?
Use a pad to fill out the mids?
Change the arrangement?
Sidechain vox?

Anyway, remembering it's not mixed - I would still love your opinions... :)

DJ

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gaopmkdd74u4pkt/I%27m%20Gonna%20Run.mp3?dl=0
Writing - LouDA
Production - LouDA
Band - The Color Canvas

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Yesterday at 20:08:40
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Re: Something else is needed?
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 12:32:36
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 12:35:17 by MrBouzouki »
Hi @LouDA ... listening to this it feels like it missing something in the bottom end.
I'm hearing something at some points but it's not up in the mix enough to make a difference.

How about using actual bass guitar to help emphasise the hits and maybe add some repeating bass patterns. Almost like an ostinato pattern in classical music.

One thing I have noticed nowadays with more modern music is the emphasis on the beat and bass is sort of relegated as a result.
If you think of how bass and drums work in other styles in might get you thinking perhaps.

Ummm thinking about classical music how about some long strings in places ... just another thought .... lol.  A low cello sound could actually take the place of a bass pedal note but bowed it would fill in a whole bar and fill up the bottom end. Not quite Bittersweet Symphony but you get the idea ... lol

Some quite random ideas but it might get your creative juices flowing.

Nice Vox by the way ... great performance
"Love and Life is all about connections"

• LouDA
  • Junior Cook
  • Karma Hunter

• Denver, Colorado
  • more
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 15:50:41
I hear you. All good ideas - I may try some strings this weekend (I have some great patches for that kind of stuff). The bass is in there too, although it's primarily a sub bass so perhaps bringing the Kontakt Rickenbacker out to play to hit more of those plucky mid-top ends, too :)

The arrangement seems off to me, so I may also shorten it and remove the 2nd chorus/breakdown.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 15:10:02
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 20:58:03
I agree with @MrBouzouki . Specifically, I think you could try to add some sort of a deeper kick at 0:38 and then at 1:07 another low frequency element....perhaps more percussion.

I think that 1:07 spot is an opportunity really kick the song into another gear. I was waiting for that to happen because you really have an excellent build-up.....but then things kind of fizzle out a bit.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 01:37:22
Hi @LouDA ! Forgive me if you've explained this all before but That's not the same band you posted in the live performance section? Is it?

To me this sounds to be in drum& bass genre ... which I am no expert in. But I was expecting a dramatic drop somewhere half way through. So yeah one of those cool edm drops and then some aggressive low to high sounds and e-drums the way it is done in future bass.  (I don't know all the terminology ... just enough to be dangerous, really)
I also agree with you that you should shorten it. It's hard to cut stuff, I know, because you have so much good audio there.
Anyway, I look forward to the final version.
-11 ::Note::
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• LouDA
  • Junior Cook
  • Karma Hunter

• Denver, Colorado
  • more
Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 02:05:03
Thanks for the feedback! Will give me some things to work on over the next few days :)

Bill - nope. I write music for tv and movie syncs as well as whatever else I am inspired by in my own realm haha! My band is a different entity altogether.

xx
help needed...

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen café

4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2016, 11:29:14
by Dutchbeat
xx
A Compromise Needed?

Started by Bill from November Sound on Lyrics

17 Replies
Last post March 25, 2019, 17:27:40
by Dutchbeat