• Song with Okinawan Sanshin
  • Started by A Conscious Universe
Song with Okinawan Sanshin
on: December 06, 2018, 22:55:28
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 22:57:02 by A Conscious Universe »
Hi all, I made this song using a Sanshin, a traditional three string instrument from Okinawa. It is the cousin of other Asian three string instruments that you may have seen before. The song is called Okinawa and the voice you hear in Japanese is my wife's.

This song is a spiritual journey told from the perspective of a zen monk who is bringing her message after a long stint in the mountains. I hope you enjoy and please let me know any thoughts!

I would post the lyrics, but the point is less about what is being said and instead how it makes you feel. Those who are native Japanese speakers, please understand we did our best!

https://soundcloud.com/user-316169253/okinawa

personal note, I lived in Okinawa for a few years and received the instrument as a gift when I left. I love how it plays, very much like a banjo, fast and moving.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 15:43:36
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Song with Okinawan Sanshin
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 23:14:23
Very cool piece of music. I absolutely love how it builds and eventually gets huge before.....ending like that. My thoughts are that this piece, in its own way, imparts a great deal of the feel of Japanese Shinto and Samurai sensibilities. I steeped myself a bit in Japanese culture form many years as a student and instructor of Aikido. This brings things back.

Thanks for posting this
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 11:46:58
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 08:06:53
You probably wonít believe this story, but iíll tell it anyway.
You understand the idea that I donít have to look for trouble, because trouble comes looking for me.
The same (for me anyway) goes for coincidence. I welcome a great deal of coincidence into my music and life.

As a volunteer I coach refugees who come to my country and who donít speak Dutch or English.
And that is a handicap because the taxman, public transport, you name it, they do.
The last one spoke Russian and Cypriotic. My James Bond girl, as my youngest calls her.

This one is beautiful too, 19 years old, thank you Muddy Waters. She speak Japanese and Bahasa Indonesia.
And since last week I am the temporary godfather of a young Japanese woman. When she comes to our house next Monday, we will listen to it and have extra reasons to talk Dutch to each other.
And Iíll join again to tell you what she thinks of it.

So far I like it very much and get more and more curious where you are from and what (musically) you brought home from Okinawa. Or did your stay there have other reasons altogether?
This impression is very good, as far as I can judge it.
I hope that youíll post more.
Kind regards, Gus

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 13:58:53
  • more
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 18:39:14
hi @A Conscious Universe what a great track! the atmosphere in this track is exciting in my opinion, and the vocals are awesome  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

how it builds  :o :o :o what an energy  :o :o :o :o
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 22:30:46
Very cool piece of music. I absolutely love how it builds and eventually gets huge before.....ending like that. My thoughts are that this piece, in its own way, imparts a great deal of the feel of Japanese Shinto and Samurai sensibilities. I steeped myself a bit in Japanese culture form many years as a student and instructor of Aikido. This brings things back.

Thanks for posting this

Thank you for your feedback! So Glad you like it! I love eastern culture and tried to stay true to the zen ethos that was my motivation in the song.

Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 22:31:39
You probably wonít believe this story, but iíll tell it anyway.
You understand the idea that I donít have to look for trouble, because trouble comes looking for me.
The same (for me anyway) goes for coincidence. I welcome a great deal of coincidence into my music and life.

As a volunteer I coach refugees who come to my country and who donít speak Dutch or English.
And that is a handicap because the taxman, public transport, you name it, they do.
The last one spoke Russian and Cypriotic. My James Bond girl, as my youngest calls her.

This one is beautiful too, 19 years old, thank you Muddy Waters. She speak Japanese and Bahasa Indonesia.
And since last week I am the temporary godfather of a young Japanese woman. When she comes to our house next Monday, we will listen to it and have extra reasons to talk Dutch to each other.
And Iíll join again to tell you what she thinks of it.

So far I like it very much and get more and more curious where you are from and what (musically) you brought home from Okinawa. Or did your stay there have other reasons altogether?
This impression is very good, as far as I can judge it.
I hope that youíll post more.
Kind regards, Gus

Thanks, Gus! I believe it all and I am so happy you will be able to connect further with my song as a part of your universe!

Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 22:32:56
hi @A Conscious Universe what a great track! the atmosphere in this track is exciting in my opinion, and the vocals are awesome  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

how it builds  :o :o :o what an energy  :o :o :o :o

So glad you liked it! The energy and buildup were a very important statement or this song. I wanted it to feel like a slow moving stream turning into a head first plunge down the great fall!