• Chef de Partie

• May 08, 2021, 23:48:35
  • more
Re: Soundscape for 'Surprise'
Reply #16 on: April 24, 2021, 17:44:31
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 17:56:27 by Mo »
Hi,

I just finished this fun project with producing a visual music clip for it  ;D

Lyric wise at the end I followed @Pleudoniem s advice to stay with just one language, thank you even the chorus it still weak a bit I think it was right to do so.And thanks again @LePlongeur for the idea for the content ( leave earth like Sun Ra Archestra wanted)

WHO dares to watch this 3 minutes?? 8) :D :D I hope i could entertain you a bit!! :)

Lyrics again:
Bin grad aufgewacht und hab nichts geträumt
Schnell mal rein ins Bad,  heut wird nichts versäumt
Das Frühstück steht da wie verlorn' Brötchen gibt’s heut nicht
Schweigend gehst du durch dieTür, hast Tränen im Gesicht

Heute ist der Tag
der Tag, der Tag
Hast Tränen im Gesicht

Jetzt gehts  in den Garten raus, das mach ich na klar zu Fuß
Der Nachbar steht am Garten-Zaun, zu ihm 'nen letzten Gruß
Er scheint arg geschockt doch was scherts' mich? Wofür?
Ich steig rauf zur kleinen Kanzel und öffne die Platinum-Tür.

Heute ist der Tag
der Tag, der Tag
Was schert es mich. Wofür?

Nach dem Start war der Rasen ganz schlimm verkohlt.
Nun flieg mich zu den Sternen mein Raumschiff Thunderbolt

rough english translation  ( of course it doesn't rhyme):

I just woke up and have dreamed nothing
Quickly into the bathroom, today nothing is missed
The breakfast stands there as lost, Bagels are not there today
Silently you go through the door with tears on your face

Out into the garden now, of course I'll do it on foot
The neighbor stands at the fence, to him a last greet
He seems badly shocked, but what do I care? What for?
I climb up to the little pulpit and open the platinum door

After takeoff, the lawn was quite charred
Now fly me to the stars my spaceship Thunderbolt

It's almost like Rammstein, but electronic. It's quite a threatening tune. The vocal could be a little louder though, as it is a bit hard to understand. If you worry about whether it is all in tune, there are auto-tuning devices and if you use them sparsely, I think we will forgive you ;)
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

• Mo
  • Chef de Partie

• more
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 13:44:26 by Mo »
It's almost like Rammstein, but electronic. It's quite a threatening tune. The vocal could be a little louder though, as it is a bit hard to understand. If you worry about whether it is all in tune, there are auto-tuning devices and if you use them sparsely, I think we will forgive you ;)

Rammstein... LOL..... :D
I thought to myself with this song, it might be good as a woman to set a counterweight to all the lovely and delicate female songs here.
Thank you for mentioning the thing with the voice @Pleudoniem , maybe I also played around too much with the delay and echo which does not exactly make the voice clearer. I will try next time to put more emphasis on clarity, actually I found the volume itself quite ok and not too quiet.

@Mo  The volume wasn't such a problem, but your voice, unique as it is, tends to dissolve in the sounds. Possibly you can find a way to make it stand out a bit more.

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 09:45:50
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
I think you are absolutely unique. And you could underline that quality by not being scared of the microphone. But instead embrace it and acknowledge that it’s part of the chain between your vocal chords and the place your voice is recorded.

Almost everybody who uses the mic for a living, adjusts differences in volume by leaning slightly forward and backward.

Stevie winwood, actually active since I believe 1966 and still making significant music, finds this too restless. And turns his head away, slightly to the left of the microphone, to compensate for inevitable differences in volume.

I hope I can encourage you to experiment with your microphone.
More than enough YouTube clips around about this.

And also on your own kitchen:
https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen.com/forum/songwriting-ingredients/26/proximity-effect/5062/

You sing this very very good, but slightly too dynamic. This makes a mix that YOU are OK with, more difficult. But not impossible.

Please, don’t forget: every mix is very personal.
I really can’t remember many occasions where I posted something, or presented a professionally made mix, where everybody was OK with the mix.

And - cheat cheat - a little bit of compression on the voice never really hurt anyone.

Keep the faith, you’re doing great. And please don’t give me compliments. What you need now and then is somebody who says things you knew all along.  That’s what a forum is for.
Kind regards, Gus

Wow @Mo !!! What just happened? That was life changing. I don't know how ... but it was somehow.....
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

Not currently posting music here but we're easy to find if you care to listen. November Sound will happily listen, follow, like, subscribe and repost for people who do the same. We get a lot of spam so let us know you're from the kitchen!

• Mo
  • Chef de Partie

• more
Aaah, I'm racking my brain on how to solve the problem that @Pleudoniem and @LePlongeur  brought up, which is really a big difficulty for me, and you're kidding me  on top @Bill from November Sound .
No, it's ok, I like to have fun in the kitchen! 8) :P

I think, no I'm sure, I need personal lessons in mixing vocals and I would pay for those lessons, so if anyone feels approached....  please PN me.
I'm rather good in teaching myself but i know my limits.

I often make use of an app called EZMix, which, unfortunately, isn't free. It has a great number of settings to automatically mix tracks or full masters without much ado, and you can also adapt the presets. The program can be expanded with extra additions (which, yes  :(, you need to buy), for instance one that does vocals. It has proven worthwhile to try out a variety of settings from the program and then adjust them. For instance, I frequently use a setting that is frequently heard in soul music, which I then modify a bit to fit with the rest of the song.

I am usually a bit hesitant to advertise commercial products, but in this case I will make an exception, because it looks like something that may help you. Or possibly you might want to take a look at what it is, and then search for apps that compare with it. Anyway, it can be found here: https://www.toontrack.com/product/ezmix-2/

• Mo
  • Chef de Partie

• more
Really appreciate your advices @Pleudoniem and want do a look to it but I feel I have to explain a bit more where i see the true core of problem.
I convinced there are very good YT-clips about how to mix and awesome apps, no doubt on it. I already watched several videos and rather thought i did a step forward with it but there are a lot of obstacles to me, I can't say exactly if the fact I'm rather dilettante in music in whole is the bigger or the fact that obviously I'm NOT able to hear what rather sounding properly.
 It means I hear that the vocals for instant sounds different if i EQ them this or that way or do compression or whatever...... I hear there is a difference but i CAN'T say what sound better.  It might sound stupid for you but  it is like that.  I think Garageband already offers I wide set up for mixing vocals  and large set up for pre-EQ options and and and . Again.... I can't hear if a change or whatever I choose does a progress in the right direction. I blame two things for it, my inexperience with music and mixing ( maybe heard to less good stuff to compare)  and my ears itself. I think I told you once that i lost hearing with one ear for several months and after very slow recovering it still remains a loss of distinct frequencies unfortunately, i feel that this is a wider range that i thought.  Me need someone who explains me step by step what are the differences and why it  ( a certain change) sounds better especially with my voice and not just in theory for common voices.   :)   But Im always glad if someone point a way.

Really appreciate your advices @Pleudoniem and want do a look to it but I feel I have to explain a bit more where i see the true core of problem.
I convinced there are very good YT-clips about how to mix and awesome apps, no doubt on it. I already watched several videos and rather thought i did a step forward with it but there are a lot of obstacles to me, I can't say exactly if the fact I'm rather dilettante in music in whole is the bigger or the fact that obviously I'm NOT able to hear what rather sounding properly.
 It means I hear that the vocals for instant sounds different if i EQ them this or that way or do compression or whatever...... I hear there is a difference but i CAN'T say what sound better.  It might sound stupid for you but  it is like that.  I think Garageband already offers I wide set up for mixing vocals  and large set up for pre-EQ options and and and . Again.... I can't hear if a change or whatever I choose does a progress in the right direction. I blame two things for it, my inexperience with music and mixing ( maybe heard to less good stuff to compare)  and my ears itself. I think I told you once that i lost hearing with one ear for several months and after very slow recovering it still remains a loss of distinct frequencies unfortunately, i feel that this is a wider range that i thought.  Me need someone who explains me step by step what are the differences and why it  ( a certain change) sounds better especially with my voice and not just in theory for common voices.   :)   But Im always glad if someone point a way.

I have a very specific method for mixing vocals @Mo and I'd be happy tp share it .... but I have idea if you would want to do it or if it would work gor your voice. It is what works for Melissa's voice and our style of music.

• Mo
  • Chef de Partie

• more
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 14:45:40 by Mo »
@Bill from November Sound thank you for reply and provide help :) @Pleudoniem already offers help too and is testing the raw vocals with his mentioned app now. Let's see how this turn out although maybe I'll come back later  to work another option too just to hear the differences?

Since the last 3-4 songs i tried to EQ my vocals already by my own an followed the instructions of a guy on youtube that seemed to work for  me and basic improvment.  I always did same the steps 1-4  mostly and the other 5-9  i play around to seek improvement by trial and error changing parameters. :D :o
But have to admit this and especially the treshhold thing is really scary, once i thought it sounds in one part much better its often crashes an other part. And yes, i really don't like this EQ shit  entirely :P ;D it stress me out!! ::Rachel:: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

1. Highpass backing down for unmudding
2. bright up 5-6 db
3. scoop, find odd sound between 500-1000 kh and turn to opposite side
4. brush with a thinout Q=3 at 2 k-5k 4-5 db

5. compressor treshold starting point 3db gain by testing up to 8db; ratio 3:1
6. Reverb-Hall
7. Master-Hall
8. Delay
9. Pitchcorrection around 65-80

Hi @Mo ... I don't do Melissa's vocals that way at all really.
..... Well maybe ever so slightly.....
Girl vocals are way different than guy vocals. Find the person who does the musical vibe you're going for and try to copy that. Everyone does things the way THEY do it.
Certainly our music has more upfront pop styled vocals .... If you don't want that then you would not want to do what I do. Some of my early EQ moves might still be useful however.

• Mo
  • Chef de Partie

• more
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 20:42:31 by Mo »
Hi @Mo ... I don't do Melissa's vocals that way at all really.

Well thats for sure because Melissa can sing  and has the voice by nature @Bill from November Sound !!! :D

I rather wont  block the kitchen traffic with this topic  to much but if someone interested in results here is the improvement @Pleudoniem did to the vocals.

Thanks a lot guys, your help is just one reason to love the kitchen, you really helped me a lot and i got a step closer with the  song puzzle. And now I wont forget @LePlongeur and turn over also next time trying to get a proper and healthy signal recorded by embrassing the microphone. ::dj:: Have nice holydays/ weekend!

EDIT:
P.S:
Maybe just one last word about the clip because nobody commented it: It was a very first try to use  stopmotion app and i did it together with my daughter, she assisted me lend me her toys and my husband borrowed me a motorcycle headlight and mirror ;D ;D Was fun  and easy to do I absolutley can recommend  this option for low budget clips.

xx
Song for review - Der Sinn (The Meaning)

Started by Katze Konigsberg on Songs for review

19 Replies
Last post July 24, 2018, 20:54:40
by junemay
xx
Interpretation of Palestine song by Walther von der Vogelweide

Started by Mo on The kitchen café

5 Replies
Last post August 21, 2020, 13:21:04
by Mo
xx
Das Ist Fantastisch (new version)