• Started by Mo
  • Mo
  • Chef de Partie

• April 08, 2021, 10:31:25
  • more
Soundscape for 'Surprise'
on: March 29, 2021, 18:30:25
Hi,
hope you all are all fine, sound and healthy :)

Currently I figured out another method with my DAW to create sounds. I played around abit and created me a soundscape for a probably next song.
Called 'Surprise'  but lyrics are still  rough fragments in my head but will come as it goes.
Just as teaser want introduce what it is so far.

https://soundcloud.com/user-65096772/surprise-290321-1822/s-QYJNWPUg2DQ

Re: Soundscape for 'Surprise'
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 20:53:06
This would be great as the theme for a science fiction movie, one of the apocalyptic kind. The chaotic chorus bits have the effect of distortion like a distorted guitar, even though it is quite a different sound, and it is quite an intriguing find. The little melody is quite ominous, an atmosphere maker.

'Another way to create sounds' is not very revealing. What has been your new discovery then?
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 21:53:18
@Mo Very atmospheric. As has already been suggested this would work well in a scifi movie. I'll be really interested to hear how this develops with a vocal. Sounding good. :)

• Mo
  • Chef de Partie

• more
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 22:59:06
Hi @Pleudoniem , thank you for listening and commenting!:)

For sure i have lack of musically terms so its hard to explain what is the different method.
The way to create the single sound pieces itself is mainly same but to work the whole arrangemnt of them is quite different.
Regulary I was used to record each instrument or beat or sound by own in a single track.
Then ad the tracks one after another from up till down and arrange each to a former rough defined song arrangment like vers, chorus. Etc. I needed hear the whole track again, again again and adjust distinguished parts in lenght by hand cutting/ extending and so on. Line for line deciding when one instrument  should be of or on and need pay attention to hold correct measurement etc.

Now i discovered the option to take an instrument, beat, noise that i just need to record for 4,8 or 16  beats f.e. put it down as an visual item on a 'loop-board' that looks like a chess board,  i pre choose sounds that fits to my ears out of a sound libary either and put it on this board also.

Now, when its comes to arrangment and structure  i can 'play' the sounds on this board as an own instrument by finger tapping the visual items on or off. Doesn't matter what the position on board. It does always the correct counts of beats even if i tap out of beat it will do the change in the next correct measure.
So i finally can record the whole song totally intuitivly by choosing the parts just in time as i hear the all together sound of items i have tapped. New is that this lead to combinations that i never really thought to when i work linewise or one dimension. The loop board seemes to give me a second dimension for arrangs. Not sure how to explain that correctly.
So i push the red button and 'played' the items.
This soundscape was the first and only record I tried with it and i decided to leave it as exactly like the over all arrangement turned out.
I just load it into the common track view to work some details as distortion and build a better end.
'Golem' was the very first song i tried this wise.

All in all the time i need for that was a lot lesser and so i had still more power for some snall details here and there. Often I lost my passion for details abit after hearing the song too often when work in the old manner.

Thank you for dropping by @ChrisPrice too!  ::heart::
Yeah its sounds ScFi due the sounds I choosed. Next time i will do different.
I know, its not the way a traditional musician works! Its another thing, right, but its maybe like the speach 'Who heals, is right!` ;) But I really do love the traditional ways to.... i'm just not really able to do like i want.
Doing vocals will be my next personal challenge but I'm not to afraid for it ;)

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 23:11:03
Ok, I get the idea. It's something you can especially do with electronic instruments, but then, that is what you play the most :)

Why get the SciFi out? It works quite well. If @ChrisPrice hears it as well, you may have struck a chord there.

• Mo
  • Chef de Partie

• more
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 23:22:44
but then, that is what you play the most :)  :D

I loooooove to play

That's all that matters to me @Pleudoniem  ;)

Why get the SciFi out?
Next song was meaned.... to don't play always same most.

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 14:28:10
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 07:07:40
During the sixties, I listened a lot to ESP’ records.
They put complete control in the hands of the artists.
Among them: Sun Ra Archestra. No typo.
Sun Ra honestly believed that the way to go was to leave the earth and start a new life somewhere in the universe. And he devoted his life to making music to fit that occasion.

Your unique bleep bleep sounds remind me of Sun Ra’s music.
If I understand you correctly, you don’t want to play the same song over and over? If that is so, I applaud that.
No matter how beautiful the song is, the writing is creative, the rest is mere repetition. Nothing wrong with that, but not for me. That is what I like most about your music @Mo , your drive to experiment. I hope you keep on doing that.
Cheers to you!
Kind regards, Gus

• Mo
  • Chef de Partie

• more
Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 09:50:45
 I really do like your comments very much @LePlongeur
You really have the ability to do such well thought feedback to everybody like a doctor who knows what dosage of medicine the patient needs.
I admire you for that.

Its even nice to hear a song again and again but for me this work just until a certain point, if i went beyond  I'm going to be blind for a song. To me its more exciting to surf on that drive I feel to create something new as long the drive is actually there, its heavy to pause or work on something several weeks. Put it away and take again later.... i loose my bond for the song and feeling.
My less skills for playing analoug instruments is the only reason i get me busy with electro sounds.
The options seemes soooo endless, there are no borders just infinity for express moods, thoughts, autobiographics or fiction. As i find out there is no realistic other aim with writing songs than just try express a short moment and as long i don't find a real partner to write with i really enjoy this spontanous experiments.
No need for pleasure someone else or try to create 'beautiful'.
Using always the same style would let me feel bored soon I guess. There is nothing bad if someone decide to stay in same style or genre by just using different lyrics, arangements and chords, even to me its like a painter always try to paint the same tree, again and again, ignoring the flowers, bugs and stones beside the way.
I totally happy about the people in the kitchen are that tolerant to give it a space too without starting bashing electro crateded songs.
Often  I heared that wouldn't be 'real' music compared to what was written and played decades ago.
I did several discussion with Dutchbeat about and for sure he was great to motivate me to step on this way.

I will try if i can find something about Sun Ra Archestra.
What happend to him? He stayed on earth or find a way to take of ? :)

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 14:28:10
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 16:14:31
The question: is this real music? Always comes from the establishment, never from the people who experiment or seek new ways to make music.

My father played gypsy jazz on an acoustic guitar. I played all kinds of things on electric guitars. After my generation came the people with the turntables. I tried very hard to convince all kinds of people that the music stays the same, but the gear changes.

I think DB is right. I think he suggested you to choose your own instruments. And searching for the sounds you find most pleasing to your ears, supportive to what you want to do is your way of making your music.

Arkestra comes from (Noah’s) ark. Sun Ra died on earth about 80 years old.
If you want to explore this a bit further, look for Sun Ra (of course) and Space is the place.
There are hard to come by books, and there are concerts or excerpts on YouTube. The decor and the way the arches tra is dressed guarantee you a sight you won’t forget.

The man was dead serious about all this. And it’s no easy listening.
I hope you like it as much as I did. If Elvis was the king, so is sun ra. The king of free jazz. @Mo
Kind regards, Gus

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Making music

• Today at 16:32:20
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 23:58:12
@Mo  - liking the small bells and whistling sounds. Indeed Scifi in a tranquil way,... and then,Explosion! Mayhem!! Alarm!! :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: - cool! Will you do vocals for this?

• Mo
  • Chef de Partie

• more
Reply #10 on: April 01, 2021, 13:38:07
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 13:53:10 by Mo »
in a tranquil way,... and then,Explosion! Mayhem!! Alarm!!
Haha, yeah it was by suppose, tried  to insert a  small moment of 'surprise'  :D

Will you do vocals for this?
Yes, I had thought I would do that @oorlab

Already prepared yesterday  a draft for verses. I merged together my first intention for this song and input I got from current replies by @Pleudoniem, @ChrisPrice and @LePlongeur .
Chorus  not ready yet, still  unsure but in progress also. Probably I will merge languages again a bit.

Day of surprise

Bin grad aufgewacht und hab nichts geträumt
Schnell rein ins Bad  heut wird nichts versäumt
Das Frühstück steht da wie verlorn' Brötchen gibt’s heut nicht
Schweigend gehst du durch dieTür, hast Tränen im Gesicht

Chorus

Jetzt raus in den Garten, das mach ich na klar zu Fuß
Der Nachbar steht am Zaun, zu ihm 'en letzten Gruß
Er scheint arg geschockt doch was scherts' mich? Wofür?
Ich steig rauf zur kleinen Kanzel und öffne die Platinum-Tür.

Chorus

Nach dem Start war der Rasen ganz schön verkohlt.
Nun flieg mich zu den Sternen mein Raumschiff Thunderbolt

( rough english translation :

I just woke up and have dreamed nothing
Quickly into the bathroom, today nothing is missed
The breakfast stands there as lost, Bagels are not there today
Silently you go through the door with tears on your face

Out into the garden, of course I'll do it on foot
The neighbor stands at the fence, to him a last greet
He seems badly shocked, but what do I care? What for?
I climb up to the little pulpit and open the platinum door

After takeoff, the lawn was quite charred
Now fly me to the stars my spaceship Thunderbolt

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 13:52:41
Why not keep it in german? My German is quite ok, and I get the impression that the German text is a little more coherent, I think because the language must be closer to you.

• Mo
  • Chef de Partie

• more
Reply #12 on: April 01, 2021, 13:55:15
You are right @Pleudoniem! I'll keep the verses in german.
But the chorus i probably will choose a few englisg words. reason is: 'Überraschung' is such a bad bad sounding word in german and not usefull for a main word in chorus  ;D

Reply #13 on: April 01, 2021, 13:58:23
Es gibt dafür auch synonymen ;)

• Mo
  • Chef de Partie

• more
Reply #14 on: April 01, 2021, 14:02:35
Es gibt dafür auch synonymen ;)

I still have really no ideas  for it yet! I put the chorus beside yesterday .  Aber noch ist ja nicht aller Tage Abend ;)
If you have a spontanous idea for  a slag word, i could build something around.... let me know!!! :D

xx
Soundscape - 1roomstudio - Rain Weaver

Started by 1roomstudio on Other Arts

13 Replies
Last post March 08, 2020, 13:52:59
by Bill from November Sound
xx
surprise!!! :-)

Started by Dutchbeat on Lyrics

11 Replies
Last post July 31, 2016, 13:30:10
by Jim
xx
Harmonic Surprise

Started by Leonard Scaper on Songwriting Ingredients

16 Replies
Last post December 15, 2018, 23:21:18
by oorlab
xx
Surprise Attack - new recording & mix

Started by GTB on Songs for review

16 Replies
Last post March 28, 2014, 11:55:36
by Dave Bradley
xx
Nice surprise in my mail today - A CD from Jurgen's band The Vegas Nerves !!

Started by Mar T. on The kitchen café

7 Replies
Last post October 31, 2017, 20:49:14
by Dutchbeat