• Spirits in the material world (Police) - reworking
  • Started by RobertoLabruna
Hi everyone. This one is another reworking of my band: "Spirits in the material world" (The Police). This arrangement is the result of a collective work. Each of the 3 permanent members of the group gave a significant contribution. We started playing it 3 or 4 years ago and we modified it many times. It should have been the opening track of the music video series the we wanted to make  (and which we will never have time to make unfortunately).

It 'a song that we are very emotionally attached to, but I would still like to have a sincere opinion from those who want to hear it.

Thank you in advance for your time.

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• May 25, 2019, 23:43:29
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Re: Spirits in the material world (Police) - reworking
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 23:34:28
A bit heavier and hypnotic than the Police original, you've put a gutsiness into it that adds a new dimension. Good video too, but do you do any original stuff that is as good as this? It is hard to break out on the basis of being a covers band, as you will know. Solid sound here - and I liked it!
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 07:56:46
A bit heavier and hypnotic than the Police original, you've put a gutsiness into it that adds a new dimension. Good video too, but do you do any original stuff that is as good as this? It is hard to break out on the basis of being a covers band, as you will know. Solid sound here - and I liked it!

Thank you very much Michael!

I don't know if it is worth to make originals "as a band". Modern rock in english language is a business for young people (and rock bands from countries where english is the first language). Besides my mates have a very busy life (work, wives, children). Making covers, making videos, playing in our spare time and trying to do something on youtube and social networks, this seemed to be the only things were we can get some satisfaction.

Considering our age and our lives we can try to propose our music to some music supervisors for commercials and tv broadcasting. I'm going to try in the future.

I also used to write originals and will go back to originals starting from next year. But not for us as a band. I will try to work with some young bands or young singers here in Milan.

Thank you again!

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Today at 15:59:47
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 14:04:17
I like this version @RobertoLabruna - in some ways I'd have liked them to do it this way at the time 

::e-guitar3:: ::e-guitar3:: ::e-guitar3::

The important things is you are having fun, re-imagining songs, a tradition that has probably existed as long as music has existed. it's familiar, but different enough to be fresh so it appeals to some people.

"Love and Life is all about connections"

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 18:29:04
  • more
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 18:15:33
hi @RobertoLabruna , wow, once again you Clerks are rocking, very tight and clear this  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: great drums

and also great vocals, bass and guitar again  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

i was wondering whether that intro of the fuzzy and softer sound of the song before the real drum kick off was needed...i think i personally would like it more (but never mind me) if the track would start right away with that loud snare and tom hit, go for it right away!

but extremely excellent this in my opinion  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

btw, can i invite you to perhaps consider joining the cover-a-song-from-a-fellow-kitchen-songwriter challenge....it would be awesome if the Bad Clerks would rework a song from one of our fellow kitcheneers, kitchenettes or kitchenauts....(oh....or kitchenistas  8)

information about this kitchen challenge can be found here.... :) :) :) :)
https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen.com/forum/challenges/18/the-kitchen-cover-challenge-3rd-edition-please-join/4530/   
me, myself, and Pie

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 17:30:05
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 20:31:52
I really like how you guys make these covers your own.....seriously good playing and well produced.

I hope you will consider @Dutchbeat 's suggestion.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Mark Luto
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Enthusiastic Dilettante

• June 22, 2019, 21:04:06
    • Zurich, Switzerland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MarkLutoMusic/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2oOby1sRdVp60eBi8msivQ https://soundcloud.com/markluto
  • more
Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 23:53:54
Another great one! I like your sound and style a lot and I so far I loved all those original songs you chose. You guys are very brave to take those world renowned tunes and turn them into your own songs. It totally works, and you rock! Keep them coming! ::headphone::

Cheers,
Mark

Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 22:59:37
I like this version @RobertoLabruna - in some ways I'd have liked them to do it this way at the time 
The important things is you are having fun, re-imagining songs, a tradition that has probably existed as long as music has existed. it's familiar, but different enough to be fresh so it appeals to some people.

Thank you MrBouzouki! More than having fun it is the need to build something, to create something. Never mind if it is too late to be a professional musician. Once it is done you can watch it and think "We did it".

....well....The Police gave us a hand...hahaha 

Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 23:02:27
hi @RobertoLabruna , wow, once again you Clerks are rocking

i was wondering whether that intro of the fuzzy and softer sound of the song before the real drum kick off was needed...i think i personally would like it more (but never mind me) if the track would start right away with that loud snare and tom hit, go for it right away!

btw, can i invite you to perhaps consider joining the cover-a-song-from-a-fellow-kitchen-songwriter challenge

Hi Dutchbeat and thank you very much! you are not the first saying that the intro was not needed. I think that we have been involved too long in changing the structure that we never realized that the intro could have been removed. Any time our friends  came to our rehearsal room they were reacting positively to that intro and we have always been convinced that it was the best way to start the song. Now that it is finished I agree with you. Maybe we can make a new version in the future.

I can ask my mates if they would like to take part to the challenge. But I'm quite sure they will say no. This project has already created several problems to their life in their families. In the last year we have only worked together to record the songs and make the videos. The last time we played together in the rehearsal room was february 2017. Don't be disappointed please. This is the life we have now, work, children, wives, old parents, bills to pay, no more hair on our heads...we should have called ourselves "Bald Italian Clerks"...hahaha

Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 23:03:56
I really like how you guys make these covers your own.....seriously good playing and well produced.

I hope you will consider @Dutchbeat 's suggestion.

Thanks Leonard! We started changing arrangements for fun and, once we started, we lost interest in ordinary covers. But for what we have seen so far it is a product that only another musician would appreciate. The common public is not so interested.

Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 23:11:28
Another great one! I like your sound and style a lot and I so far I loved all those original songs you chose. You guys are very brave to take those world renowned tunes and turn them into your own songs. It totally works, and you rock! Keep them coming! ::headphone::

Thank you Mark! We love these reworkings and most of the musicians who listen to them tell us they are nice. But ordinary people are not so interested and this is making us lose a little motivation. Without an audience it is difficult to stay motivated. Next autumn we'll decide if we want to go on this way or change.

xx
trying out some new material

Started by Jurgen on Live performances

8 Replies
Last post December 28, 2018, 15:58:33
by Marcus Nalgaber
xx
serious bootleg material!!!

Started by Dutchbeat on Collaborations

10 Replies
Last post May 09, 2019, 12:24:56
by Mora Amaro La Loba