• Standing There
  • Started by Leonard Scaper
Standing There
on: January 12, 2020, 14:35:45
This is a bit different for me as it is a piano song. I have been playing this melody on my old acoustic piano for a couple of months so I decided to record it with the studio keyboard.....and this song took shape. Thanks to @Chris Spruit for production ideas and support.  :)

Standing There
https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=13973542

I guess I left you standing there
With no one on your arm
Yes I left you standing there
With no one to take you home
On this golden band I swear
I didn't mean to cause you harm

After all the time we shared
I didn't mean to do you wrong
When I left you standing there
Thinking I could just move on
Yes I left you standing there
Leaving both of us alone

With all these years gone by
I guess you're done crying
I hope you're not still lonely

I know I left you standing there
I left you standing there
With no one to take you home

With all these years gone by
I'd be lying
If I said I didn't still

Leaving both of us alone
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 14:10:35
  • more
Re: Standing There
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 16:03:09
hi @Leonard Scaper , i think it is a beautiful song  ::headphone:: ::headphone:: ::headphone:: as always i enjoyed your voice and singing melody

sounds good,  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:....but.....i have two little thingies....the typical Lenny pauzes....in this case the pauzes between the verses to the chorus when you sing: "With all these years gone by" , i mean the pauze in singing before that line, i think that is ....a bit of a pity in my opinion, i think it breaks the flow of the emotion in what is sung, it felt like waiting for that next line "With all these years gone by"

and...i was not totally convinced by the piano sound used in this....i mean the choice of the sound from the keyboard, the piano sound can be more ..grand piano ballad like....if that makes any sense  ::) ::) ::) ::)

a very nice song  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 18:01:23
Hey @Dutchbeat ...thanks for checking this one out. I knew the piano would be weak but that's the best I've got. It's the Grand Piano patch from my vintage (1990) Ensoniq rack synth. I don't do a lot of piano so I have not picked up anything modern. It was either that or micing up the acoustic piano.

I just knew I had to record this song so I went for it anyway.   :)

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 13:04:37
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 18:56:35
Yes, Chris is a powerhouse in a very gentle wrapping. But no powerhouse can squeeze it out if it is not in you@Leonard Scaper !
I posted an object of art named Stellar Day. This is Stellar Song as it surprises me as much!
Stellar.....
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 17:14:37
hola @Leonard Scaper

Wonderful and deep song, I love the atmosphere of the piano and when the guitar accompanies it. This is a song which style I like very much because of its sound that moves the ears to the sadness.

This
"Yes I left you standing there
Leaving both of us alone"

Is unique!

Mora
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
https://vimeo.com/onacarom

Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 19:20:43
@LePlongeur ....thank you for that, Gus. I'm curious about your object of art.

@Mora Amaro La Loba ........I hoped that this song would resonate with you, Mora. Thank you for listening and for your appreciation of that line in particular.

Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 12:15:10
I like the piano-playing  @Leonard Scaper , but not so sure about the guitar. Perhaps it just needs a bit more work, or needs to be somewhere else in the mix, but I think it detracts from what is basically a great piano song. Like the lyrics too.
Today I'm only one day older. Do you think my hair's turned grey?

Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 13:32:40
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 13:50:06 by Leonard Scaper »
Hey @redmando .....I appreciate that, particularly about the piano. Interesting about your take on that guitar.......I really liked how that worked in there. I need to go back and listen again now with a fresh perspective.

Thanks so much for listening and critiquing.  :)

EDIT:

After another listen I think I'll compress that guitar a bit harder and try to tuck it in behind the vocals a bit better. Thanks again for that, @redmando

Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 14:34:23
You're welcome  @Leonard Scaper . Everyone's ears are different and we all have different musical influences, so it is, as you say only my take. Keep them great songs coming!

Hey @redmando .....I appreciate that, particularly about the piano. Interesting about your take on that guitar.......I really liked how that worked in there. I need to go back and listen again now with a fresh perspective.

Thanks so much for listening and critiquing.  :)

EDIT:

After another listen I think I'll compress that guitar a bit harder and try to tuck it in behind the vocals a bit better. Thanks again for that, @redmando

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 19:22:07
Secretly, so that no one will no (!), I passed by for another sneak back view.
Yes, thatís what I mean!
Kind regards, Gus

• Mo
  • Poissonier

• Today at 10:53:09
  • more
Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 22:02:30
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 22:05:30 by Mo »
@Leonard Scaper  thats' again such a sensitive song.
The instrumental idea is just great!  (Grand-)piano and  guitar to me is a dream team!  Ok, maybe the piano here isn't perfect but hey who need that? This little imperfection is so charming and the guitar covers everything what maybe could be missed.  I even impressed you played both.
Content wise  you scratches a painfull topic about cuts thats sometimes necessary. It shows here how much the song me still cares, I hear a little impeachment swinging the 'you' still stands all the time and don't move in whatever direction. Heard it tripple, already mentioned how I like the guitar play?

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 06:56:37
@LePlongeur ....thank you for that, Gus. I'm curious about your object of art.

I have clipped some text off the quote to keep it simple.....

https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen.com/forum/seo/3/stellar-day-by-alicja-kwade/4289/msg45812#msg45812

I never found the Kitchen gallery btw.
I must put some effort in that at the time.
Not only that the stone was perfectly still, @Leonard Scaper , I got permission to sit on it for an hour. A very eerie idea/feeling I must say.
But stellar it is. Pronounce the incredible womanís name as if she lived next door and youíre there.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 10:29:35
the stone was perfectly still

8)

@Mo .....thank you for listening and for your appreciation.

:) :) :)

Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 03:35:25
I enjoyed the piano backing very much @Leonard Scaper - (sure I`d like it more with an acoustic, but enough on that) this is a good song ; a simple emotive lyric which the repetitions work well on.
I also like the way you bring in the guitar- a kind of signature for your sound.
Your voice always holds my attention , lyricaly and vocally.
There`s some different vocal effects on a couple of lines that sounded too strong for my tastes.
I hope you do more piano songs in the future :pompom: :pompom:

Robert

Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 10:57:04
There`s some different vocal effects on a couple of lines that sounded too strong for my tastes.

I wanted to put the vocals into some more distant spaces in an attempt to create a feeling of lapsed time and even some emotional distance. It was worth a shot, right?  ;)

Thank you, Robert, for that observation.......I wondered how that was landing with listeners. Thanks even more for your appreciation in general, particularly about that piano.