• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 18:29:18
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Strangers
on: October 17, 2019, 01:55:21
There is so much seriously good music being posted right now here at The Kitchen from new friends and old friends.......

Here's something that has been on my mind....

Strangers
https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=13934127

Why are we all strangers here
How does that make sense
Maybe we should change some things
We live
We die
And never know the reason why
We're all strangers here

We live
We die
And never seek the reason why
We're all strangers here

Time flies
So much has slipped on by
And there'll come a moonlit night
When we'll be gone
So I know
That we have got to try
To come together

Why are we all strangers here
What's with all these fences and these walls
Let's rearrange some things
We grieve
We cry
But never know the reason why
We're all strangers

Time
Goes by
In the blink of a moonlit eye

Can't you see the danger here
We should all be friends
Why are we all strangers
If
We try
We could find a reason
To not be strangers
Here
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Lane
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• November 03, 2019, 21:43:26
  • more
Re: Strangers
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 04:08:04
@Leonard Scaper

Right away I thought " so cool a unity song, a song of peace, kindness...thats the way is struck me Steve
I think a very unusual sound, sounding dark haunting but bringing the light...all thumbs up for this caliber of song.
great sound, and a great message in the lyric I thought.   ::thumb::     Lane

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 13:31:43
love the lyrics, and the way you are sending this out into the world of strangers .
When I listen to the song and your voice , which is so familiar to me, I don't feel about you as a stranger.. :-)
and we never met physically . But this hits me in the mark.
And funny, I am writing just this minute a lyric for a song I came up this night...which is volving around the topic of regrets.
Perhaps it is useful to see our lives as a series of failed or abandoned dreams...sometimes ...anyway...
back to your song...got carried away :-) ...I can say , this is what songwriters should do, carry stranger away  to a place where they have much in common.
Love it
Chris
OUR NEW CD BLUE LINE OUT NOW :
https://blueattitude.hearnow.com/

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 19:25:53
@Lane .......Yes, a unity song indeed. I'm glad you felt that vibe. Thanks for listening and for your kind words, Lane. I appreciate that you got that mix of darkness going to the light.

@Chris Spruit .......We are definitely not strangers.  :) I hoped this song would resonate with you and I'm glad that it did. Some of our dreams are bound to fail and some we have to abandon. I think you're right that life is like that........but there is always another dream.

I hope to get to hear what you are working on soon.

• Kolohe
  • Saucier

• Today at 16:11:06
    • California
  • more
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 01:25:42
In the blink of a moonlit eye........great line.
@Leonard Scaper your songs have a lyrical simplicity that  also leaves the listener room for their own imagery.
Mahalo for sharing.

Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 03:01:48
I like the way the music breathes around your voice on this gently uplifting song @Leonard Scaper ( musical layers are subtle and supportive) .... listening again its almost meditative.
Your voice has never sounded better; convincing enough to tempt this sometimes misanthrope to soften up and reach out ::thumb:: ::thumb::

Robert

Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 12:51:57
This is lovely @Leonard Scaper - ‘in the blink of a moonlit eye’ - nice! Lovely sentiment, especially put to a bunch of strangers, who are not really strangers! No nits to pick, just an enjoyable listen to your rich sounds....

K

Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 13:58:17
Hola @Leonard Scaper

A beautiful song, deep and critical .... Again you have got a round, balanced product with an impeccable sound.
That question that comes to us all in the head .... But they have made us incomplete, we need that piece in the explanation of why, leaving us at the mercy of ourselves.
Where  is the manufacturer that leave us abandoned in ignorance? ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
My Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow
My Vimeo Songs of Thought channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moraamarolaloba
My Vimeo Downtempo channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moramarolalobadowntempo

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 14:26:43
@Kolohe ......I really appreciate that perspective on my lyrics. That particular lyric came unbidden into the vacuum of the song during the final vocal recording as I was about to just repeat the lyric from earlier. Thank you so much for listening and for your appreciation.

@robertkc ........thanks for that about the vocals especially. Sometimes we get it right for the song, right? I have also been accused of misanthropism so much of my message here is to myself. 

@Zedd .....SO glad you gave this one a listen. We have found a very good way to not be strangers here....here at The Kitchen, right?

@Mora Amaro La Loba .......I truly hoped that this one would find its way into your head....just as your songs do to me. Thank you.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 21:54:02
  • more
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 20:25:58
hi @Leonard Scaper , that is a lovely song

i love the lyrics, i can relate to them, must be my age...  ;D :shinyteeth: :yes: :yes: :yes:
and how you make the connection with the forum in your opening post  :thumbsup:

man...
i am enjoying your new song a lot :yes: :yes: :yes: :pompom: :pompom:

me, myself, and Pie

Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 20:37:42
@Leonard Scaper Very much a @Leonard Scaper tune. I think the bass line - is that a guitar that you used as a bass there, or a genuine bass? - works quite well. It adds a nice pacing to it. The string in the middle is sometimes a little loud, and pushes the other instruments a bit to the background. You might want to lower it just a slight bit.

Overall, a very nice song, simple and effective, quite recognisable, and well done.
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 22:22:18
@Dutchbeat ........ :) :) :) :) :)

@Pleudoniem ......yeah, I keep hearing those strings too much, particularly the cello on the left. Going to take another look at that. Really glad you like the bass line. I knew I needed it to be good to anchor the middle. That is a 1969 Gibson EB3 with tape wound strings.  :)

Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 22:35:45
Such a full sound - and I love the gorgeous plucking melody and the counter-melody of the strings. What a beautiful, autumnal sound :) Your voice is also just lovely - really beautiful peace ... I'm going to press repeat now!

Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 22:46:12
@Leonard Scaper Ah! Tape Wound strings. That explains it. I use tape wounds on fretless a lot. They work quite well here.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #14 on: October 19, 2019, 11:00:44
@Alex ....thank you so much for you appreciation....and for that second listen!  :)

@Pleudoniem ......yes, I love those tape wounds. About to spring for a new set. My bass is not amped, though, like yours. I'm going in direct through my Trident channel strip. That strip allows my to crank the preamp, then compress....and then get the level right at he end. That cranked pre lets me get just enough dirt in the signal and the adaptor that lets me plug into the pre input has a transformer which puts a bit more harmonic resonance into the signal.