• Teenage Delinquents With Cubist Guitars
  • Started by eric craptone
Re: Teenage Delinquents With Cubist Guitars
Reply #15 on: November 17, 2018, 15:28:59
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 15:33:16 by eric craptone »
Don't think that way, man.....that's actually a pretty good review ratio. Heck, I've reviewed just about every song that's been posted for the last year or so and sometimes I only get a few reviews on my stuff.
If that's correct then that is an embarrassing statistic for this forum.
But that aside, no one is going to hang around if the reviews aren't encouraging, and the overriding message I've been getting is bewilderment and indifference.
Fair enough, I don't expect everyone to like what I do, but if a few peeps had said "creative", or applauded the desire to explore something different, I'd have been happy.  This is a forum where a simple conventional song attracts universal gushy praise, so I will judge the comments I get by what I see others receive.
Anyway, @Leonard Scaper and @Zedd don't get me wrong I genuinely appreciate your messages of support.  I will 'ave a fink about it all.
@Vince  @Lane, @GoBali : Thanks mates for the encouraging words, including that magic one "creative". I like it! I am indebted to you.

Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 00:59:27
Hey @eric craptone I enjoyed this . I love your angry drum whacking and the aggressive stacatto pick work. It's a fascinatingly creative collage of sound!

re some of your points above, I wouldn't get too hung up on the forum give/take ratios.- you did post 2 songs in relatively quick succession as a newby in the middle of one of the most popular forum 'challenges' of the year (the same lyrics challenge). I'd love you to participate in the next one!

You mentioned 'gushing praise for conventional songs'. I think it's all relative and sometimes less about the song, more about the individual songwriter. Many of the forum members have been participating for years and are here to improve as songwriters, as well as to help others improve. I haven't been here that long, but have definitely learnt loads in that time and its always rewarding when someone notices that something sounds better.  Relative songwriting/performance/production improvement, whatever the style, gets noticed and will always receive generous praise and encouragement in my experience.

Anyway, I hope you'll stick around, the forum needs members like you!  :yes:

Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 01:09:24
@eric craptone  I said "brave" & hope you hear that and let the joky stuff slide.
 I`m a newbie here too & taking stock of the levels of participation. Sure, it could be better on this Song Review section, (  :praise: :praise: here for @Leonard Scaper giving so many songs his time) but there`s plenty of other forums where the fare is far blander and participation lower.
 I think you should stick around, give it time - lots of members have yet to hear  your music .
And I like  your reviews ( useful and observant as well as fun).

Robert

Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 01:29:02
Hey @eric craptone I enjoyed this . I love your angry drum whacking and the aggressive stacatto pick work. It's a fascinatingly creative collage of sound!

re some of your points above, I wouldn't get too hung up on the forum give/take ratios.- you did post 2 songs in relatively quick succession as a newby in the middle of one of the most popular forum 'challenges' of the year (the same lyrics challenge). I'd love you to participate in the next one!

You mentioned 'gushing praise for conventional songs'. I think it's all relative and sometimes less about the song, more about the individual songwriter. Many of the forum members have been participating for years and are here to improve as songwriters, as well as to help others improve. I haven't been here that long, but have definitely learnt loads in that time and its always rewarding when someone notices that something sounds better.  Relative songwriting/performance/production improvement, whatever the style, gets noticed and will always receive generous praise and encouragement in my experience.

Anyway, I hope you'll stick around, the forum needs members like you!  :yes:

Well @eric craptone ... Dan James said it perfectly!

But ... I'll still add a little. People might ignore, people might have no idea what to say .... that's not necessarily a bad thing. This is a friendly songwriter forum not one of those places where you pay a few dollars for people to trash your song ruthlessly. I kind of quit the kitchen for a while. My most successful song ( not that any of my songs are ever successful... really ... but it's getting a spot on a podcast now ... so I'll take it) didn't get very good reviews around here while works of others were exalted and praised beyond belief. 

Not everyone is going to like everything and you probably realize that your music is a bit esoteric. Your work is more "piece" and less "song". To me that's not a bad thing.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 20:43:40
Ok fellas, I can listen to reason,  I'll carry on for another two weeks and see if  I perceive things differently after that.
Cheers for the pep talk.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 15:43:36
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 21:02:51
Ok fellas, I can listen to reason,  I'll carry on for another two weeks and see if  I perceive things differently after that.

Excellent!

Post more creative esoterica!

Did you ever mention what guitars you are using? Real amps? Inquiring minds want to know.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• Today at 09:28:15
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 21:33:58
Hi Eric, sorry for not getting round to reviewing your song, but now that I have listened I really loved your inventive guitar playing and unique stab at putting together a piece of entertaining but unconventional musical anarchy.

OK, reading the above, it's a fact that everyone is not going to love this, as by definition you are niche and proud of that. But within your niche, this is pretty damn good and if you stick around I think you will add another dimension round here!

Really creative, challenging and loads of fun! I'll have what he's having, to quote an old movie!  ::thumb::
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 13:58:53
  • more
Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 21:38:58
hi @eric craptone  :ok: :ok: :ok: good to read that you will stick around  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

just to be sure, my comments on your track in this thread were meant to be positive, as brief as they were

and: you bring up a good point, but a point that keeps returning on forums like this.....a forum community and the quality and atmosphere of the forum are completely dependent on the members of the community. If people don't listen to the tracks of others, there is no forum

and yet, even this... greatly designed forum  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ....with it's great moderators and (m)administrators  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D has a number of members who come in in intervals to only post their own songs and hardly ever pay attention to other people's posts or tracks

i have been here from the beginning, for almost 5 and two months now, and posted more than 8000 posts so i have a sense of how this forum is running, and.....(DB looking at the statistics page of the forum 8) 8) 8) have been logged into this forum....for a grand total of....128d 6h 37m it says  ;D ;D ;D..simply because....i have no live  ;D ;D ;D ;D :blackgrin: :blackgrin: :blackgrin: and i like it here  ;D ;D ;D

but it has always been this way, it is not about the forum (i think, my opinion) but more about the fact that some people, just a few, are that way....they have no problem to drop their new song every time they have one without paying attention to other people's tracks or topics placed on the forum.

but the kitchen  has a great group of active members  ::thumb::, good atmosphere, but.... the food could be a bit better.... ;D ;D ;D   >:( >:( :blackgrin: :blackgrin: :blackgrin:
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #23 on: November 20, 2018, 22:59:17
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 23:05:07 by eric craptone »
Did you ever mention what guitars you are using? Real amps? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sorry Leonard  mate, I forgot to answer you. As it happens,  nuffin' special, I have always had a thing for cheap guitars. Probably because I feel no qualms about destroying them in the pursuit of lairy sounds.
I don't use amps anymore at home, I have become a responsible neighbour as I have aged. A far cry from the youth with a 100W Marshall stack in his bedroom. I'm sure all that volume blew all my hair out !  ;D

@MichaelA . Thanks for the positive review, mate.

@Dutchbeat Cheers mate, and thanks for the life history  ;D

xx
Any old guitars in here?

Started by siennalittle on Life

2 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 15:23:25
by siennalittle
xx
I love guitars!

Started by Jambrains on Songs for review

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2015, 00:35:56
by Zedd
xx
everybody knows that guitars sound the best in real kitchens.

Started by tuff bransch on Life

3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2018, 23:59:35
by tuff bransch
xx
My latest track. Rocky song with electric guitars

Started by QuinMusic on Songs for review

11 Replies
Last post July 24, 2016, 20:22:51
by JUXTA