• The Ghosts Of Christmas (Christmas Song Competition)
  • Started by G
  • Wicked Deeds

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 15:55:19 by Wicked Deeds »
I know the heading reads 'Christmas Song Competition' but really I just wanted to kick start the competition with a song I've had for a few years. I'm happy to not be included in the voting for the competition (I'll be producing a song for the winner - so would like the successful entry to come from another forum entry).  I'd love to hear your thoughts about this song and it seems to me to be a great shame that I haven't shared this song before.  I hope you enjoy listening and of course, good luck to everyone who enters the competition!  :)

The Ghosts Of Christmas

This song was written at the onset of the winter in 2010.  An elderly family member had just passed away.  He was such a lovely guy.  I had spent countless Christmas days with him - he was a great man, kind and generous. The kind of man that no one could ever fall out with, unassuming - a real gentleman.  Unfortunately when he passed away one morning, I found him later that afternoon in his home.  I often miss him and think about him as Christmas approaches.  His passing made me think about other important people who have passed - the ones we have loved, perhaps argued with - all important in our own lifetime.  What if someone passed away, leaving behind ill feeling? What if they could be present at Christmas! What would they say? Perhaps sorry, I love you, take care.  Might the ghosts of Christmas, desperately wanting to communicate with the living say 'We're still hurting'.

This is for Jimmy and also for my Dad Stan. Peace and love to both gentlemen!  It's the first time I've shared this for review. 

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/the-ghosts-of-christmas

The Ghosts Of Christmas

We're still hurting (whispered)

Years pass so quickly, where do they go?
Christmas comes early after snow.

The ghosts of Christmas past gather 'round to sing
'We're still hurting'.
'We're still hurting'.

Frost turns to black ice, sadness to pain.
Christmas will haunt me again.

'We're still hurting'.
'We're still hurting'.

Set the table for our guests.
May they never leave

The Ghosts of Christmas.
The Ghosts of Christmas.

'We're still hurting'.
'We're still hurting'.
'We're still hurting'.
'We're still hurting'.

We're still hurting (whispered)

Written by Paul Vasey 2010

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/the-ghosts-of-christmas

• fischermans
  • Sous Chef
  • I'm always working on the big picture

• October 29, 2016, 08:52:39
    • Eynatten Belgium
    • https://www.facebook.com/Alexander.Fisch.Songwriter https://soundcloud.com/fischermans100
  • more
Re: The Ghosts Of Christmas (Christmas Song Competition)
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 16:44:37
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 16:47:07 by fischermans »
Hello Paul
Very beautiful song with lot of heartache.I love the melody. Would get hard to win against that song. ;)
I only had the feeling that the voice is sometimes a bit overdrive in the higher tones but may it?s only me.
I have to think about if it makes sense to post my song yet or if not. :P
It?s a shame you didn?t post the song further but I totally understand and honor this.
Real gem there
Alexander

Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 17:01:30

Hi paul,

Lovely song mate ;D ;D  Loved the sentiment.....I think we all dwell on 'Christmas past' at this time of year.
 I know I do  ;D ;D  The older you get the more people there are to remember......less people to say things
 like 'do you remember that time when.....' Ahhh, those ghosts, loved 'em all ;D ;D

beautiful ;D ;D

• Wicked Deeds

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 17:17:17

Hi paul,

Lovely song mate ;D ;D  Loved the sentiment.....I think we all dwell on 'Christmas past' at this time of year.
 I know I do  ;D ;D  The older you get the more people there are to remember......less people to say things
 like 'do you remember that time when.....' Ahhh, those ghosts, loved 'em all ;D ;D

beautiful ;D ;D

"Ahhh, those ghosts, loved 'em all  ;D ;D. Such a lovely sentiment Steve.  What a rich experience this life is! :)

Thank you Alexander!  :)

• seriousfun
  • Rotisseur

• January 03, 2020, 09:45:38
    • Rotorua, New Zealand
  • more
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 00:10:15
Mate this a real good song with strong sentiment. I think the words and feelings they evoke resonant with everyone. Xmas is such a family time that it always a somewhat bittersweet especially if you have lost people around xmas in years past. Very poignant song and a very clear and pro production. 

Love to hear songs like this come out fo the woodwork - that's why we are all here in the kitchen. :)

Allan.
Part time musician, photographer, astronomer, computer pragramer and husband.

• Wicked Deeds

Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 20:13:20
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 21:10:07 by Wicked Deeds »
Thanks Allan!

This was a song that I loved when I first wrote it 3 years ago.  It's easy to forget the sense of satisfaction that we feel when we first write a song such so it's good to receive positive feedback.  I produce so many songs but I would say that this is the genre/styles that is most representive of 'my sound'.  :)

Thank you!

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 21:55:41
  • more
Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 20:40:54
superb!!!!superb
what a song

nobody can top this, i am sure about that, but i will enter this song in the X-mas competition thread anyway, since you are the one that will provide the second prize  ;D ;D ;D ;D

that is some piece of music
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 01:14:52
Beautifully done WD :) it certainly got me thinking of the friends and loved ones I've lost, especially my parents :'( they were such a huge part of our family Xmas's...it's never been the same since and I remember with fondness the good times we shared :(  I don't think my ghosts would sing 'we're still hurting' though...I think they'd say to me 'you need to stop hurting...we're doing just fine'  :)
beautiful song :) :) CS

• benjo
  • Poissonier

• April 04, 2015, 17:05:52
  • more
Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 17:27:55

this is a cracking tune and covers a real topic makes you think deep
 vocals really impressive
 quite haunting but calming if you get me

really well done on this and good luck with this

tony

• Wicked Deeds

Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 17:06:38
Thank you for listening to nod reviewing thi song tony.  It is greatly appreciated!  :)

Thank you CS  - yes, I'm sure everyone has different ghost.  :) I wanted to focus on lot loved ones who perhaps had left certain thing unsaid during their time on earth.  That would be such a terrible  thing.  Perhaps their own personality trots would not allow them to polonaise or express their love.  Perhaps in such circumstances, they might indeed say 'we're still hurting'.

Hey Dutch,

Once again, I thank you and am so delighted that you enjoyed listening so much!  :)

wink
Christmas song competition entry "Christmas Time"

Started by fischermans on Songs for review

6 Replies
Last post December 18, 2013, 14:00:14
by CrystalSuzy
xx
The Christmas Wish (alternative entry for the Christmas competition?)

Started by Rabid Parrot on Songs for review

10 Replies
Last post December 26, 2015, 22:06:15
by Rabid Parrot
xx
Christmas song competition

Started by Kafla on The kitchen café

16 Replies
Last post November 05, 2013, 17:45:25
by Jess
xx
Christmas Song Competition