• The Open Ground....Leonard Scaper and Christiane Spruit
  • Started by Leonard Scaper
This song started with the concept of the open and spacious ground as a place of refuge when the troubles of the world begin to close in around us. @Chris Spruit took that motif and wrote a beautiful piano piece around it........and that piano track inspired the lyrics.

The Open Ground
https://soundcloud.com/scaperandspruit/open-ground

CHORUS
We have made our lives here
We will not trade
What we have found
Will we be saved
On the open ground

V 1
This is our home
We have been tested here
But now things feel kind of strange
As foretold in the songs
This is where we belong
But now the times have changed

CHORUS

V 2

No one lives alone
And with danger so very near
How can we feel free
Seek the open ground
Let your thoughts run free
And you will see

CHORUS

CHORUS 2
We have played out lives here
We will not trade
What we have found
Will we be saved
On the open ground

"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 21:53:44
  • more
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 18:20:16 by Dutchbeat »
 ::headphone:: ::headphone:: ::headphone:: ::headphone:: @Leonard Scaper @Chris Spruit , that is a beautiful song! really, really good!!!!!

i liked all of it  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: performance (the vocals!!!!)  and song, that abrupt ending is also a Gem

and for some reason i thought....verse 1, the lyrics and the chords of that, is spectacular, could be the chorus of the song in my opinion, but the chorus is great too  :thumbsup:. the lyrics of verse 1 are so.....about this Covid-19 situation we are all in.... in my mind  :P :P

awesome collab!!!!!!!!

one little thingy, perhaps the two vocals can be spread a bit more in the stereo spectrum?  listening again, i am not sure about that comment anymore, but some extra drops of reverb on @Chris Spruit 's voice would be nice i think...just my two eurocents on first listenings  :-X
me, myself, and Pie

@Leonard Scaper and @Chris Spruit the Dynamic Duo strikes again... such a beautiful sentiment... love the Gospel feel of the chord progression, melody, lyrics and mood. Truly a Spiritual piece... thank you so much for sharing.   :praise: :praise: :praise: :praise:

@Dutchbeat ....thanks for checking our song out. Interesting that you mentioned reverb because I just did go back in and add a touch more plate on both vocals. @Chris Spruit was keen on starting out with the chorus like that and I loved the idea.

@1roomstudio ........I am so glad that the spiritual nature of this song resonated with you. And, yes.....that chord progression from Chris really makes the song. Thank you.

@Leonard Scaper  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: @Chris Spruit  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

A great song and a very sensitive duet ::dj::

Congratulations  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 19:59:28
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Lieber Gott, what a beauty!
If this doesnít warm the hands and hearts of the listener, I donít know what will.
Pur sang musicality!!! @Chris Spruit @Leonard Scaper
Kind regards, Gus

@Marcus Nalgaber and @LePlongeur .....thanks so much for those kind words.

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• Today at 11:34:59
  • more
Thats a beautiful and really heart warming piece!
Personally I wished that Chris would be a little bit more present with her 'side' vocals  :D

I want mention that i entirely llike a lot when kitcheneers do callbs all kind of, it can be sooo unexpect and positive reactive. Hope we will hear one more soon!! ;D

Dear @Leonard Scaper and @Chris Spruit you surprise me time and again. What a terrific duo you are. This is beautiful indeed. It swells with musicality and love of life.
Charlie
If you dig it, do it. If you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce).

Personally I wished that Chris would be a little bit more present with her 'side' vocals  :D

Hey @Mo .....I'm glad you liked this one. Chris and I went back and forth a bit about where her vocals should be. For this one we settled on having her as the lead vocalist in the choral group that backed up the lead vocals.  :)

@Charlie .......thank you for that appreciation. Working with @Chris Spruit is an amazing thing for me as I do not do many collabs. Her sense of musicality and song structure is so well honed.......I have to dig a little deeper to keep up with her.  8)

Hola @Leonard Scaper y @Chris Spruit

A so cool ballad and the piano, wow! how beautiful, and when Chris's voice appears and the landscape opens... and the guitar shy and solitary that enhances the sound of the piano when it reappears. Great piece. I love the strings and the bass sounds so equilibrated. ::thumb::
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
https://vimeo.com/onacarom

@Mora Amaro La Loba ....thank you so much for those kind words. I am smiling about the strings and the bass as they both were uncertainties until very near to the end.

thank you for listening.

• robertkc
  • Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter

• July 09, 2020, 20:50:33
    • Vancouver Island
    • https://soundcloud.com/user-564042721
  • more
Simple, gently soaring and moving @Leonard Scaper  & @Chris Spruit .Ilike the chorus opening and the way the piano fills in spaces of  that distinctive guitar style!
The fuller production is tastefully done and gives the song a build .
The highlight, of course, is to listen to your voices raised in hopeful song together... also nice to find you have your own collab SC site now :yes:

Robert

Thank you @robertkc for those kind words.

• Neal
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• July 06, 2020, 16:53:59
  • more
Re: The Open Ground....Leonard Scaper and Christiane Spruit
Reply #14 on: June 20, 2020, 22:16:47
This is great man. Beautiful piano. The emotion in your voice really comes through in this one. Very nice back up vocals as well. Really gives it depth. This might be my favorite from you so far.