• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• October 12, 2019, 19:46:21
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 09:11:23 by MrBouzouki »
Finally I've got around to getting out my next track in my Pilgrims Way Project. It features monks again, not the original Irish ones, but Benedictine ones from Medieval times, after it was re-established in 1093.

It's been a frustrating one vocally, I set off with the idea of trying to do the ''Kyrie Eleison' Gregorian chant and I've redone it many times trying to get it something like correct. I changed my vocal timbre between takes and left in a degree of inaccuracy to try and give the effect of a choir of monks. It still sounds too weighty I think compared to modern recordings of chants, I believe they sing in a light falsetto, but I wanted to get a rougher, living, medieval feel and not a 'monks sing the latest hits' sound. I tried various vocal tweaking, but none of it sounded real, so i went for raw organic takes in the end.

The inclusion of the uilleann pipes was a real surprise to me. I came up with a melodic idea I sketched out using a synth sound. I thought I need a more organic instrument, in keeping wit the overall sound of the project, and thought, why not use it. I'm a big fan of the Irish pipes and I thought the timbre matched what was in my head.

So along with the drones, it's a sort of a hybrid between Pink Floyd, singing monks and something done by Davy Spillane.  :doublebonk:

Anyway, it's out at last, and I can move on to my next adventure to do with Lindisfarne.

https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki/the-rainbow-arch-final-master

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The surviving medieval priory Lindisfarne is the focus for this track. The priory was re-established in Norman times in 1093 as a Benedictine house and continued until its suppression in 1536 under Henry VIII. The original priory of St Cuthbert's time was long gone by that then following the location of the relics of the saint as a result of the Viking scourge.

Inspired by "The Rainbow Arch", the track takes it's name from this surviving rib of the crossing vault that survived when the tower above it collapsed. The photo of this arch was taken on one of my visits to Lindisfarne.

This track is now part of "The Pilgrims Way Project" exploring the history and natural world of Lindisfarne.

Project Playlist

soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki/sets/the-pilgrims-way-project

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instrumentation

The Rainbow Arch instrumental features strings, violin, flute, a choir backing, synthesizer pad (quite Floyd -like) and uilleann pipes. There was no historical reason to use the pipes as the Irish monks were long gone. It was more to do with the mixture of sounds in this piece. It felt right to my ears. It also features my best approximation of multitracked chanting.

The Bell ringing sound FX is classed as Public Domain and is used to add colour to the track from www.freesound.org

creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Background

"The bell is rung for mass and the monks assemble. Whilst singing the chant they gaze up at the rainbow arch and their spirits soar."

I wanted to get inside the feeling of the monks in this holy place and was inspired by the surviving rainbow arch to do multiple parts singing the 'Kyrie Eleison' with different vocal timbres and link that into a rapture type section.
"Love and Life is all about connections"

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 22:28:39
    • Terra Firma
  • more
This is a massive cinematic track, MrB. I think the chanting came out great.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

You have set up a mood in this one...I can hear this being used in an episode of VIKINGS....My  other 3rd party suggestion is this is so cool for 1 -2 minutes, but man if you broke into some modern day rock/metal type fast paced this would just take it a whole nother place...

That's what these ears hear...This way it goes somewhere else and drives...Easy for me to say after you have slaved on the track...Either way, really good

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 22:28:39
    • Terra Firma
  • more
My  other 3rd party suggestion is this is so cool for 1 -2 minutes, but man if you broke into some modern day rock/metal type fast paced this would just take it a whole nother place...

Wow! What an interesting idea for this piece.

Approaching sublime @MrBouzouki The chanting does work best with minimal effect (just that Cathedral sounding reverb) and less than perfect timing. The vocal section beginning 1:35 is really convincing and sent me into reveries of times spent listening to Benedictine monks in suitably awe inspiring circumstances.
I liked the pipes... and thought they could have continued longer.
I admire your patience with the creation of  your soundscapes... and that you have the taste not to throw the mood with metal guitars!!
 ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

Robert

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• October 17, 2019, 16:34:47
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Beautifully lovingly soundscapingly wonderfully done @MrBouzouki !!!
And very much in harmony with the other parts in your pilgrims path music.
The series as a whole must be a milestone in the Kitchen!
Congratulations, as they so aptly say in Madrid.

Kind regards, Gus

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 01:34:04
  • more
Hi @MrBouzouki , congratulations indeed with this track  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: Very beautiful
that church bell creates a great vibe and sort of pulse in the track that sticks, well in my mind  ;D ;D, all over the track

beatiful combination of sounds  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

(btw, i think @budhabuilding will enjoy this track a lot too)
me, myself, and Pie

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• October 12, 2019, 19:46:21
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
Cheers everybody. I've found this a difficult one so it's nice to think I ended wit it in decent shape.

The number of times I've sung 'Kyrie Eleison' I could have quite easily become a monk  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers @Leonard Scaper ...this one was all about the underlying drones I think , hence the Pink Floyd comment. Those pedal tones just lay down and keep adding to the harmonic layering.

Thanks @SteveAlton and I like your idea of a change up. I felt I really had to keep the lid on this one as it's part of an ongoing series of tracks with an orchestral and folk /ethic feel. I did use a bit of electric on 'Flight of Fancy' (The previous track) and also in my second track 'The Vikings', which was describing the explosive events of a sudden Viking raid.  This one was more about the monks and how the place brought them a bit closer to God.

I'm really glad you think it worked @robertkc, I value your ears and comments hugely. Amazing to think you spent time 'connecting' with chants like this.

Oh Gus @LePlongeur , you love stroking my ego don't you. I hope that translates OK or I'm in trouble.  No euphemism intended ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I do feel I am on a Pilgrimage of my own of sorts, like one of your road-trips. I hope all is well with you and yours.

@Dutchbeat - I get what you mean. I think the underlying drones in this track, mainly choir choral sounds but used just as a drone, and slowly layering chords is not too different from how a synth pad in EDM can just sit there and create a solid base to refocus on.

I am a drone sort of guy, a drone often underpins all the fancier stuff I do, it's often quite buried in the overall mix, but take it out and the track just collapses. It also adds a tonal centre to my music and maybe a bit of overall warmth and subtle bottom-end. 

For people who want to go on the journey so far, this playlist has all the tracks back to back.

https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki/sets/the-pilgrims-way-project

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• October 17, 2019, 16:34:47
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
@MrBouzouki
No, you don't have to be afraid.
Where stroking, or any other bodily activity is concerned, there will be no surprises from me.
I won't risk another 80 year war period with my next door neighbours.
So: don't worry. (Do I really have to do silly smilies here?)
Have a nice weekend!
Kind regards, Gus

@MrBouzouki really nice vibe enjoyed it very much...  ::heart::
Just set all my solo  music free at https://budhabuilding.bandcamp.com

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• October 14, 2019, 23:50:34
    • Sydney, Australia
    • https://www.facebook.com/drivingsouthband/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCygXcTLN2FroxhUQM_90J6Q?view_as=subscriber https://soundcloud.com/user-386444683
  • more
Re: The Rainbow Arch - Track Six of the Pilgrims Way Project
Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 00:51:32
I really enjoyed listening to this @MrBouzouki - I found it very calming.

I feel totally unqualified to comment on the track other than to say how impressive it is and what a great soundscape you've created.

cheers

Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 21:28:19
Hi @MrBouzouki

Very good work, very descriptive, great musical narration!
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
My Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow
My Vimeo Songs of Thought channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moraamarolaloba
My Vimeo Downtempo channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moramarolalobadowntempo

Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 20:39:25
@MrBouzouki this is a beautiful piece of work.
Do what makes your heart sing :)

Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 21:43:47
@MrBouzouki I quite agree with the above remark that this is a very interesting inspiration for a song. When it comes to vikings, you could have chosen something more violent as well, but the pacifying and sacred idea of what Lindisfarne ought to have been is a nice approach. I enjoyed listening to it.
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 03:48:41
I actually never looked at this thread if i'm being honest @MrBouzouki   ....  ::)  ... but I listen to @Mr Sydney  's reposts right down the list on his channel ... figuring if he likes it then I probably will.  When I heard this I was like " What the  >:D ?! This is awesome!"
So when it comes right down to it your music stands on its own merit! I didn't just listen to it because you made it. No - I listened to it, thought it was awesome and then realized you made it!
I love that Gregorian Chant section!  :)
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.