• 'The secret' (work title) collab Alice and Mar T. - public development!
  • Started by Mar T.
  • Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 22:15:25
  • more
Hi welcome @Roberto Cianchetta  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

and @Mar T. and @acoustic-alice

i listened again, and @Mar T.  asked which vocals i was referiing to that were too soft...i am not sure anymore  ;D ;D ;D ;D (sorry)

but it sounds great, and i noticed how it sounds like Sarah Bettens of K's Choice, seriously sounds like a singing melody like that, and also alice's voice is like that of Sarah Bettens, and when @Mar T. joins K's Choice is complete....Sarah and he brother singing together  ;D ;D ;D ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: (right? @Goatie  ;D ;D ;D)

but i have two remarks.....(oh noo....)
first is perhaps some more treble high in the vocals, the vocals are and sound stunning, but i think just an extra pitch of brightness added...perhaps?

and second,
and this is a major complaint   >:( >:( >:( ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

i can not stand it anymore that i can not hear the entire track!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( Everytime i am completely sucked into the track and enjoying it, it just stops at a completely random point..... >:( >:( >:(. Come on, guys.....give us the full track  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
me, myself, and Pie

and i noticed how it sounds like Sarah Bettens of K's Choice, seriously sounds like a singing melody like that, and also alice's voice is like that of Sarah Bettens, and when @Mar T. joins K's Choice is complete....Sarah and he brother singing together  ;D ;D ;D ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: (right? @Goatie

@Dutchbeat Yes , you are right ! By the way where is SiennaLittle?
Jeete

• Christy
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Karma Hunter

• November 19, 2018, 21:38:37
    • Newcastle Upon Tyne
    • https://soundcloud.com/christy-2012
  • more
This is lovely - great collab - BRAVO ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
A :)

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 21:00:34
    • Duiven
  • more
Hi,
it is my first day here. Sorry for my english!
I have listened to all version of the song and have read most of what has been written about.
I found the melody beautiful, and the voice of Alice is superb!! I love it. The second voices of Mar T are very good.
By listening the song I imagine this: the first 48 seconds just guitar and Alice voice, without anything else. Then, little by little, in the background comes the sound of a train (in rhythm with the song of course) which will stay all the time in the background. Together with this train sound (It can be done with brushes on the snare) I imagine a bass line following the train, just playing the fundamental note for each chord (also in the background). An example of what I have in mind is one song of Pat Metheny, called "Last Train Home" from the album "Still Life (Talking)". The guitar sounds a little too muddy in my opinion (but that will probably come later in the production process, along with other adjustments). I would let sing all Lead Vocals to Alice and Mar T all the background vocals (which reminded me of the vocals of Crosby Stills and Nash).

I am very glad to be in the Kitchen!

Greetings,

Roberto

Hey @Roberto Cianchetta , welcome to the kitchen!! And for listening to all versions we have so far, that's appreciated!!
My lead vocal work here is just a sketch and since it's a duet we'll stick to having lead parts being sung by @acoustic-alice and me, my vocals will sound way better when I recorded 'my' lines properly.
I like the train idea, I'm going to expiriment with that and see if that works. Sounds very nice in the Pet Metheny song you mentioned. Great detail there indeed with those brushes.
Hope to see you around Roberto and I'd like to invite you to write a short introduction about yourself (where are you from, what's your musical background, what's your goals in songwriting you want to achieve etc) so we all get to know you a bit better. This is a beautiful place, and you'll love it here.

@Roberto Cianchetta I love everything about your ideas!!! Also love Crosby, Stills and Nash, so any vocals we can achieve that sound like them is a total winner!

@Mar T. I feel a few different versions of this song coming along  ;D
Even more versions @acoustic-alice ? Haha.. Going to be great, still working on the bridge. Did you have some lyrical ideas for the bridge yet?  ::) ::)

Thanks for your compliments @Leonard Scaper !!  ;) ;)

Hi welcome @Roberto Cianchetta  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

and @Mar T. and @acoustic-alice

i listened again, and @Mar T.  asked which vocals i was referiing to that were too soft...i am not sure anymore  ;D ;D ;D ;D (sorry)

but it sounds great, and i noticed how it sounds like Sarah Bettens of K's Choice, seriously sounds like a singing melody like that, and also alice's voice is like that of Sarah Bettens, and when @Mar T. joins K's Choice is complete....Sarah and he brother singing together  ;D ;D ;D ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: (right? @Goatie  ;D ;D ;D)

but i have two remarks.....(oh noo....)
first is perhaps some more treble high in the vocals, the vocals are and sound stunning, but i think just an extra pitch of brightness added...perhaps?

and second,
and this is a major complaint   >:( >:( >:( ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

i can not stand it anymore that i can not hear the entire track!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( Everytime i am completely sucked into the track and enjoying it, it just stops at a completely random point..... >:( >:( >:(. Come on, guys.....give us the full track  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
Hi my friend @Dutchbeat , don't worry, I still have to do the vocal treatments, great pointer!
Haha no no no I'm going to share the bridge when it is ready to be shared.. Stay tuned!!

That's cool @Goatie and @Dutchbeat that K's choice came up! Haha. I'm a big fan of them (their older work)..

Thanks for listening @Christy !! Still working on the second half, so this thread will go on for a while.

Cheers all!
:mart:
I'm proud of this track, check it out! https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

Hi Alice and Mar T again, and everybody. Thanks for answering me. See you soon again here!

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• February 15, 2020, 04:13:28
    • Sydney, Australia
    • https://www.facebook.com/drivingsouthband/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCygXcTLN2FroxhUQM_90J6Q?view_as=subscriber https://soundcloud.com/user-386444683
  • more
Just had a listen to the latest version @Mar T. and @acoustic-alice - this is progressing very nicely!

cheers

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 00:25:27 by Mar T. »
Just had a listen to the latest version @Mar T. and @acoustic-alice - this is progressing very nicely!

cheers
Thanks mate, we'll get there!!  ;) ;) ::) ::)

..i can not stand it anymore that i can not hear the entire track!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( Everytime i am completely sucked into the track and enjoying it, it just stops at a completely random point..... >:( >:( >:(. Come on, guys.....give us the full track  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::..

Ok, ok.. @Dutchbeat , I'll give you just a little bit more. As I warned before I blew @acoustic-alice 's speakers off of her shelves, but I enhanced it just a little. Hope it's a bit less abrupt now.
I'm thinking of adding a subtle few electic guitar notes to the 2nd verse (maybe using an eBow) to prepare for the sudden buildup after the 2nd chorus. Is that an idea?
It's only the instrumental solo and instrumental bridge added here. Alice is creating words to add just after the solo so we can sing telephone style (or at the same time), just like in other duets. After the bridge we'll get one more chorus and then the breakdown.

A lot of parts/vocals are sketches and can be easily re-recorded, so every pointer you give us can help us progress and make it better. Here's our progess so far!
https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/alicecollabframework5inclinstrumentalbridge/s-o0Ffu

• Mark Luto
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Enthusiastic Dilettante

• February 03, 2020, 11:26:58
    • Zurich, Switzerland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MarkLutoMusic/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2oOby1sRdVp60eBi8msivQ https://soundcloud.com/markluto
  • more
Wow, this is so beautiful @acoustic-alice and @Mar T. ! Love those strings! ::headphone::
It seems Ive been away for waaay too long...

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Yeeeaaahhh needed that reassurance @Mark Luto , this is going to be great in the end.. (still tweaking eh.. everything!) haha. I'll start mixing/producing when we have all vocals and lyrics in place, Stay tuned!!
Cheeers!
:mart:

• redmando
  • Rotisseur
  • It's the Bellmetal Banana Company

• Yesterday at 12:18:52
    • UK
    • http://twitter.com/mandolinking https://soundcloud.com/steve-gray-songwriting
  • more
It's just getting better and better - this is going to be a classic  ::thumb::
Working for the Bellmetal Banana Company

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 13:07:47
    • Terra Firma
  • more
This is sounding SO very good. Those harmonies are amazing. All of the instruments fit beautifully now.

Two things stuck out a bit for me. I think you could use a bit of very careful de-essing on both vocals. Listen for it on that hook line "this is a secret". And when that electric guitar comes in it feels a little heavy in the low end. Then there is that one odd note in that guitar solo at 2:47.  ;)

:) :) :) :) :)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 13:07:47
    • Terra Firma
  • more
But now you might just wish to follow the excellent @Leonard Scaper formula for fattening out vocals, involving three tracks and a bit of panning. But I can't really give away his 'secret', as everyone will want to go (to quote a song I heard recently, ha!)....Oh, go on then,  tell him Lenny.  ;)

@MichaelA .....somehow I missed this.  ;) The thing is....when I made my deal at the Crossroads for that formula I had to swear to never reveal it under pain of actually having to take my soul back;)

Truth is, I think these vocals are perfectly placed to work well together. My rogue method for thickening vocals is best used in a sparse arrangement like mine.....or yours even.

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• August 31, 2019, 23:25:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Never mind @Leonard Scaper, maybe the singing production thread is even more educational than your first tip now!

As for this song, well it seems to be getting better and better. Wonderful vocals now, especially the harmonies. I like the added strings too. For me, however, the heavy guitar is a bit too old school heavy, so it seems to jar a bit with this delicate, contemporary song's main body. That's obviously my personal taste re old school heavy, as technically it is done well - yes and contrast does often work in music. Wonder what others think of that element?

But apart from that minor quiblle, I think it's a truly wonderful song. You've both put a lot of effort into it and it is certainly paying off, well done guys, one of the best things I have heard on here to date!
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

xx
Lowliness (working title) / Collab with Dutchbeat

Started by Mark Luto on Lyrics

21 Replies
Last post March 02, 2016, 18:02:10
by Jim
xx
Collab with Alice (WIP) Before You Go

Started by cosignsessions on Songs for review

23 Replies
Last post February 19, 2017, 11:13:30
by denizensdeep
xx
Heart on a stick - Collab challenge entry (DonMar and Mar T.)

Started by Mar T. on Songs for review

18 Replies
Last post December 26, 2019, 15:29:15
by DonMar
xx
We Will Prevail (Redux) - Jambrains & Mar T collab (WIP)

Started by Jambrains on Songs for review

4 Replies
Last post November 01, 2016, 00:23:17
by Mar T.
xx
If I Go Quiet - Acoutice-Alice & Siobhan Dakay collab

Started by Siobhan Dakay on Collaborations

19 Replies
Last post June 21, 2016, 00:30:08
by Jurgen